New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a search to respond to someone on FB, I cam across this interesting piece of work:
Biblical Self-Defense: What does the Bible say about self-defense? Bible study about self-defense questions: Can a Christian own a gun? What do the Scriptures say about using lethal force for self-protection?

It's a very nice writeup about the use of force and self-defense depicted in the bible. I am not overly religious, but looking at the examples given, I can understand the biblical basis for some of our use of force laws.

For example, here's one interesting point regarding assault weapons of the day:
Nehemiah 4:13 says that people stationed "people by families" around the city. These were not trained soldiers or law enforcement officers. They were merely concerned residents and settlers-citizens, not professional soldiers or law enforcement agents.

Note that these families were armed, with "their swords, their spears, and their bows." This is a situation where they are willing to apply lethal force to defend themselves.

Let's briefly discuss swords, spears, and bows. Swords and daggers killed Ehud, Amasa, and eighty priests. At longer ranges, we know bows and slings killed men like Goliath, King Joram, and King Ahab. Spears killed men like Asahel, Absaolm, the Israelite man and the Midianitish woman, and many others. These are handguns, shotguns, and rifles. These are implements of lethal force. In fact, at close range, a sword is more deadly than a handgun. These ancient weapons are as deadly as their modern counterparts.

Note that they are carrying these weapons for personal defense and civil defense, and that these are "assault weapons", namely, the same types of weapons that armies would use for offensive purposes.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Thankfully, our laws are not based on the bible.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Agreed. But sometimes, I just wish we could stone certain people! ;)
Unfortunately the bible advocates that for innocent people.

Not my preferred justification for use of force.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Religion and the use of violence go way back, I'd rather not use it as the basis for my self defense.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I think it is easy to find connections to regilious teachings just
because normally those that served wholesome purposes would be
Ethically and morally acceptable to an engire society like "shall
not lie" or "shall not kill".
So those basic things are good and common to many religious groups
so they were adopted.
Imagine if the founding fathers were considering the teachings and
orders from the vatican and spanish inquisition at the time.. comvert
or die! The constitution would not be here right now.
And those islamo fascists use religion as excuse. in reality
There idea of the law would predate medieval times where
At least some muslimns where more advanced.
So ok to come with some interpretation but lets keep fundamental laws
, state and religion separated.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
And btw it is ok to use pure logic to satisfy spiritual needs.
Like the Dali lama once said, perhaps there should be a different version
of religion for each human being in the planet.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
The bible has some good ideas in it. For example the number one thing most Christians seem to forget or don't want to fallow even though the bible is pretty clear these are both the most important things to fallow is Mark 12:30-31:

30: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. (fine if that's what you believe, this doesn't bother me).

And this perfect nugget of wisdom:
31: The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Pretty sound advice on the second. The world would be pretty fantastic if everyone fallowed it. I'm pretty sure the bible doesn't say go hate everyone who wants to be gay or disagrees with you.

Man it would be so great if everyone did that. Nobody would take your guns, nobody would tell you who you could marry, nobody would tell you what to put in your body, what to drive, how to live. **** would be great.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
]31: The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Pretty sound advice on the second. The world would be pretty fantastic if everyone fallowed it. I'm pretty sure the bible doesn't say go hate everyone who wants to be gay or disagrees with you.

Man it would be so great if everyone did that. Nobody would take your guns, nobody would tell you who you could marry, nobody would tell you what to put in your body, what to drive, how to live. **** would be great.[/FONT]
So, do you think that God, as depicted in the bible, is a Libertarian? LOL

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
The bible has some good ideas in it. For example the number one thing most Christians seem to forget or don't want to fallow even though the bible is pretty clear these are both the most important things to fallow is Mark 12:30-31:

30: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. (fine if that's what you believe, this doesn't bother me).

And this perfect nugget of wisdom:
31: The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Man it would be so great if everyone did that. Nobody would take your guns, nobody would tell you who you could marry, nobody would tell you what to put in your body, what to drive, how to live. **** would be great.
Except what if your neighbor is a non-believer? Or a "witch"? Or gay? Or if he eats shellfish? Or if he wears two different types or fabric? Or if he plants to different types of crops in one plot? Then what?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm just waiting for the Three-Fold Law to finally take effect against the Tyrant.
The Three-Fold Law, also known as the Rule of Three, states "whatever energy a person puts out into the world, be it positive or negative, will be returned to that person three times."

Karma's a *****.

;)

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Does an atheist still have the God given right to self defense?
With a suitable definition of god they do :)

Something created the universe, if you define that something as god, then that's where your right came from :)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
With a suitable definition of god they do :)

Something created the universe, if you define that something as god, then that's where your right came from :)
Provide evidence that something created the universe and we can talk. ;)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts