New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a call from a gunbroker user that ammo i shipped out never reached him. I tracked the packaged and it shows the ammunition entering the CACH facility in ILLINOIS (ohhh boy)... but never leaving. This was on the 5th. I put in a claim, which can take 10 days for them just to "locate" the package. I am going to be forced to refund the buyers money $220!

Well I was unaware of this little rule: UPS says they only have to refund up to $100 for lost or damaged packages unless I paid more for insurance. Are you fckin kidding me?!! I packaged everything properly, labeled it ORM-D, and paid for adult signature on delivery. I did not sign an agreement with you. by you taking the package you agree to deliver it.!!!!

I bet ANYTHING, a UPS EMPLOYEE saw the package labeled ORM-D Small arms cartridges, and stole it!!

Everyone mailing UPS make sure you pay "extra" .. I think with the ammo and gun scare going on UPS employees are becoming dishonest!!!

Sorry about your situation too Jayk500

· Registered
3,453 Posts
WOW!!!! I guess drivers are getting itchy knowing that the ammo they're looking for could be in that box, clearly marked ORM-D CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS... Why not just put a "STEAL ME" sticker on it????? This is crazy.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Ammo is like gold right now. If you ship it, get the insurance for it. Well worth it. Definitely file a claim against UPS (OP) so that you can get some of those funds paid back.

· Registered
71 Posts
Ammo or not I usually insure stuff valued significantly above the minimum liability for the carrier. I have had enough problems to make it worth the couple extra bucks for piece of mind. Most of the time I just roll that into the shipping cost paid by the buyer.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
I just bought ammo that was shipped via UPS. The seller recommened insurance fro over 100.00, so i purchased it for the 2 bucks. Mine arrived no problem...but i've got a second batch still on its way.
I don't see why you need to pay for insurance if you are the buyer. It is the seller's responsibility to see that the package arrives. If not, the seller has to refund the money, just like the poor OP here. So why buy insurance as the buyer?

· Registered
8,594 Posts
If I am selling and buyer wants insurance the buyer pays for insurance.
People can contract for any terms they want. You are a smart seller. I would never pay for it. I am a smart buyer. Guess that means I'm not buying from you.

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Some sellers set is up that they are providing a 'convenience' with shipping and it's not part of the transaction. Not saying it's right/wrong, just how some do it.

One way or another I always make sure packages are insured, especially things of high value.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Some sellers set is up that they are providing a 'convenience' with shipping and it's not part of the transaction. Not saying it's right/wrong, just how some do it.

One way or another I always make sure packages are insured, especially things of high value.
Yes, me too, I always insure. And let's face it, a sale is about a happy buyer or its trouble for the seller. I have a gunbroker account and never really had a chance to sell here before the ban. Sellers get rated. Same everywhere now. So even if the buyer didn't pay for it, i would cover it to get a A+ rating. Bad feedback is terrible right? Plus I haven't sold once, I'm a buyer pretty much. Really smart sellers just build it into the price like you mentioned. Usually there isn't much choice. Although if this law gets struck, I have stuff to sell now.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
You would pay for the tape I used on the box and never have a clue. ;)
I realize that, except now I know your policy before buying. ;) Caveat emptor. My post below that said that smart sellers just build it into the price and there isn't much you can do about it. So guess you outfoxed me on this one Ray.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Depending on what I'm selling, I may or may not put insurance on the item. Also if the item is valuable, I usually insure the full price of the item and include it in my selling price. Here is a little tip I was told when you are shipping ammo. Use plastic wrap around the bullets if they are boxed. Wrap it tightly and then put it back in the original box. This way it keeps the ammo tight and you cannot hear what it is. Anytime you get ammo you can pick up the box and shake it and you know it is ammunition. The wrap helps prevent this.

James

· Registered
121 Posts
It's foolish not to insure a package for full-value given how packages are handled during shipment; haven't you ever found a "drop-kicked" package at your door step? Insurance typically costs about 1-2% of the insured value, which is money well spent in my book.

· Registered
6 Posts
Most likely the package got destroyed. UPS has thousands of packages coming down a huge slide and a small package up against a large one usually loses. It's not that easy to steal at UPS, they have cameras and metal detectors all over the place.

· Registered
982 Posts
Most likely the package got destroyed. UPS has thousands of packages coming down a huge slide and a small package up against a large one usually loses. It's not that easy to steal at UPS, they have cameras and metal detectors all over the place.
so you're saying the box was destroyed and ammo fell out all over the place. What happened next? They swept it up and threw it away?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.