New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Via WABC

EXCLUSIVE: Bronx man claims police brutality caught on camera following search | 7online.com

it appears that there is a clear benefit to living in the Bronx : you get to survive the beating unlike Eric Garner on Staten Island
At least this time.

The video clearly bears out the fact that Hernandez was compliant and beaten without reason.
Santiago Hernandez says he did exactly what the officer asked him to do. He was waiting to meet a friend outside 428 E. 157th Street when officers asked to search him.
"Did she say why she was searching you?" Eyewitness News reporter N.J. Burkett asked.
"No," Hernandez said.
Hernandez says the officers claimed they were investigating a noise complaint. When the search came up empty, he says he asked the officers why he had been searched.
And with that, he says, one of the officers grabbed his arm and slapped on handcuffs.
The usual retort to claims of this sort is that all the "perp" need do is comply, except this time, you see Hernandez submit to a flagrantly unconstitutional search for "noise" (Protip: it's highly unlikely you're going to find proof of noise with a frisk, officers), with the practiced spread that every kid in the Bronx is taught at an early age for self-survival.
But, but, but, you stutter, he asked why?
Doesn't that deserve a beating on its own? Apparently so.

To their credit, the Bronx District Attorney's office declined to prosecute Hernandez for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.
On the other hand, they didn't prosecute the police officers for beating the crap out of Hernandez because, well, reasons.
Actually, no reasons.

Had there been no video, one would suspect that no prosecutor and no judge would ever believe Hernandez's lawyer, Jay Heinrich, when he explained at arraignment that the defendant not only did nothing, but submitted to an wholly unjustifiable search and got beaten anyway.
"Unfortunately, for young men like Santiago, I think this incident is all too common," said Jay Heinrich, Hernandez's attorney.
Welcome to life in the Bronx. But then, the story takes one turn at its end that mires it in the usual media muck:
Santiago was on parole at the time of the incident after he had spent six years in prison for gang assault back when he was 14.
Given the video, that "Santiago" had not only committed no crime, but was the victim of flagrant police abuse, what purpose was served by the gratuitous inclusion of the victim's criminal history and parole status?
Is this meant to suggest that kids on parole can be beaten at will by police, or that just a reminder that he was once a criminal and so his beating shouldn't get anyone too bent out of shape?

The best spin on its inclusion is that it's offered to explain Hernandez's reluctance to acquiesce to arrest, to offer his wrists to the cops so they could slap on cuffs without muss.
--- Because his being innocent of any wrongdoing wouldn't be a sufficient explanation for not wanting to get arrested.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
The gross thing is all the other cops watching and joining in. Still waiting on the good ones to arrest the bad. He just won a taxpayer funded lotto ticket.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
gang violence... you cant escape it in NY.. ;)

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
If you see that second video as "police brutality", then your allegiance is clear. If I was a part of that melee, there would have been hospital visits involved, no doubt about it. Those cops were WAY too lenient, especially to the women who acted like complete animals.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no Agenda, simply putting what I run across out there
with a bit of commentary, of course ..

brutality was the TV stations take, dial up Channel 7
I don't get that here in my fortified compound ..;)

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
If you see that second video as "police brutality", then your allegiance is clear. If I was a part of that melee, there would have been hospital visits involved, no doubt about it. Those cops were WAY too lenient, especially to the women who acted like complete animals.
I am 100% against some clown kicking someone for no reason then getting a paid ( I think) vacation for it. It makes no difference how hard the kick was. That guy just had to get a shot in. What a dirtbag. Advocating hospital visits and police beatings? Stay classy.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
SEE! Without that very useful and never abused stop and frisk policy, gang violence would be trough the roof!

-.-

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
The NYPD very rarely does paid suspensions. We've covered that here before. And yes, I stand by that comment. People who jump on the police need to be properly handled. That scene was a joke.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
First video...Out of control on the Police end of it. At least from what I can see.

The second video, like stated earlier; out of control. The sister that was fighting with the officers should have been on the ground. She was completely out of her mind.

This is the problem with video's posted on line, they never show the entire incident!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Okay , the first video. The reasons given for the arrest is solely by the guy who admits he resisted being handcuffed. The responding officers usually have no clue why the person is being arrested. They just hear the call for assistance and see the guy resisting .

in video number two, note how they admit that the guy arrested claimed he couldn't breathe while resisting the arrested according to the sister . That has been a norm with arrest for a long time even before the Staten Island case . As for the cop being suspended - good.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
The NYPD very rarely does paid suspensions. We've covered that here before. And yes, I stand by that comment. People who jump on the police need to be properly handled. That scene was a joke.
I agree, anyone who jumps on someone needs to be properly handled. If its a criminal who deserves an arrest and hes resisting or if its someone abusing a position of authority. The rules apply to everyone. This is just a general statement, not specific to this situation.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
So what about when the police need to use force to subdue a person who is being lawfully arrested? Do you advocate outside observers jumping in to subdue the police?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts