New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the link to this from two different people today. It's an interesting concept and could have a use in a power outage.

BioLite - BioLite Stove

Obviously, if the cell towers go down, it's only good for boiling water (quickly, on little fuel), but if the cell towers are still up, it could be a life saver.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was looking at those this winter, but it was still just in testing.

The video of it looked like it worked very well, but it looks really heavy, more of a close to the car camping item.

The smokeless biofuel stoves are about the best option around here though, there is fuel everywhere.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What fun would that be? Besides, you can charge a phone or other USB powered device with it while you're doing it. Besides, with this stove, there's no need to carry fuel. It burns wood like a camp fire, but does so much more efficiently.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
yeah, i would like one of these. i'd put this in my BOB and move the jetboil to my wife's BOB.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is pretty impressive, I have to say. The whole concept of electricity from a temperature differential blows my mind!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I can just imagine it now. SHTF...YO, I GOTTA CHECK FACEBOOK! Brook changed her status to "Killin mad Zombiez yo." John changed his relationship status from "married" to "consumed."

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It is a nifty little stove though, and if having one makes the difference between a kid willing to go camping or not I say own it. I would normally say go camping for the sake of camping, but if I have my iPod with me I will play a game or watch a show right before sleep while I lay in the hammock.

Hell, last night my cell phone died as soon as I set up camp, my wife was at home 8 months pregnant, I barely got any sleep thinking about if she needed me for anything. Luckily she didn't but with that little gadget I could have charged up and been good to go.

*Please don't think of me as irresponsible for leaving a pregnant wife to go camping, it was my last chance to go for a long time, so I jumped on it.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a nifty little stove though, and if having one makes the difference between a kid willing to go camping or not I say own it. I would normally say go camping for the sake of camping, but if I have my iPod with me I will play a game or watch a show right before sleep while I lay in the hammock.

Hell, last night my cell phone died as soon as I set up camp, my wife was at home 8 months pregnant, I barely got any sleep thinking about if she needed me for anything. Luckily she didn't but with that little gadget I could have charged up and been good to go.

*Please don't think of me as irresponsible for leaving a pregnant wife to go camping, it was my last chance to go for a long time, so I jumped on it.
My goal would be to use it for emergencies (not that I'm going to buy it, just IF I had the money and need for it). I like to carry my phone with me while I'm camping, even though cell service can sometimes be pretty sketchy. But sometimes you forget to turn the phone off or whatever, and if you needed it in an emergency, a dead cell is completely useless. This little stove could buy you enough juice to make a call and save yours or someone else's life.

I was always taught that there were no electronic devices allowed while camping (scout troop rules). It's still in the back of my mind, so I wouldn't want it for constant entertainment or communication, just emergencies.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I can just imagine it now. SHTF...YO, I GOTTA CHECK FACEBOOK! Brook changed her status to "Killin mad Zombiez yo." John changed his relationship status from "married" to "consumed."
ROFL & LMAO. Funniest postI read on here in awhile. That would be me though. Funny post.

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
wait im confused...... u dont need fuel??? it says it turns heat into electricity which powers a fan to creat a flame. if you dont need fuel.... then how do you get heat??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts