New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to make hollow point ammo from standard ball ammo. Has anyone done this? I'm open to any idea's or pointers you may have.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It has been done. But the easiest way is to sell the ball ammo and buy hollow points.
If you don't want to do that - buy a bullet puller - pull the FMJ projectiles and reload with hollow points.
If you have way more time than you know what to do with and a willingness to risk injury with power tools and lead poisoning - you could use a vice and a drill. But it would be REALLY REALLY MUCH EASIER to swap the ball ammo for hollow points.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
For best repeatability a lathe with movable tailstock with adjustable stops.
Chuck up, drill on center to depth limited by stops.

3 jaw chuck for ease/speed of use, 4 jaw chuck and dial indicator for ultimate concentricity.
W/4 jaw, once you get the hang of it it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so to set up each individual bullet :)

A jig mounted to a vertical drill press that would allow bullets to sit in almost the exact same spot under the drill and then setting depth would be second to the lathe, but based on the nature of the *jig would have the potential for a bit of wobble.

*If you were dropping the rounds in from the top.
If feeding them in from the bottom on a tray and locking the tray to the bottom of the jig a tighter grip on the bulley body could be mainmtained, and thus less chance for wobble.

May we presume that you're not exactly looking for superior spinning balance?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
is this loaded ammo? probably not the safest thing in the world to do.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I dunno about that.
I mean have you picked up a hooker lately?
Holy crap, 9 ways to Sunday to die, get stomped, robbed or tricked into an unintended 'experience' with a tranny.

I'd rather drill bullets.
In my underwear.
Next to a campfire made of unseasoned pine.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I think someone must've watched "The American" a few too many times (can't blame anyone for watching it to see Violante Placido in her bday suit) ;)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Problem with drilling is that you're going to be removing material, and with the same seating depth, case capacity, and powder charge as the heavier ammo had, it's going to lose some pressure and subsequently energy. That alone may cause your ammo to become unreliable.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I think someone must've watched "The American" a few too many times (can't blame anyone for watching it to see Violante Placido in her bday suit) ;)
After reading this, I went to imfdb and found this info:
American, The - imfdb :. guns in movies :. movie guns :. the internet movie firearms database

Mathilde adjusts the scope, after test-firing. Her shots were a bit off to the left and for some reason turning the elevation knob instead of the windage remedies this.
LOL

·
Registered
530 Posts
+5.... not smart to do..... Bubba types used to do this in the 30-50's when softpoint ammo was expensive.... Can result in the jacket shedding in the barrel upon firing and that is bad news for the next round down the tube... Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You're not going to get lead poisoning from drilling holes in lead... you have to ingest it.
Yep, or breath the dust coming off your lathe or drill, or forget to to wash your hands, or your clothes before eating, drinking, smoking, brushing your teeth etc.

I cast and load lead, I am not lead averse, but to create an environment where you are repeatedly leaning in to work on a piece of lead that you are drilling is not something I'd recommend - and we haven't even mentioned eye protection.........

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
After reading this, I went to imfdb and found this info:

LOL
LOL...exactly. Believe me though, Placido makes the movie worth watching, and it's not all that terrible otherwise. There were some definite "firearms" goofs which could have been easily avoided if the film crew/staff/director would have consulted with an expert considering the subject matter of the film. I honestly didn't even catch the elevation/windage knob goof, but this one was obvious and I got a laugh out if it while watching the film (it has been on HBO for the past week or so)...

He refers to the gun as a Ruger M14, which is a slight goof since the M14 is a completely different gun. Mathilde (Thekla Reuten), the customer, also asks the gun's muzzle velocity, to which Jack states "about 360 miles an hour". This is a goof since muzzle velocities are measured in feet, or meters, per second. It wouldn't be that bad if his statement didn't translate into 528 feet per second; not even near the muzzle velocity of a real .223 round.

G

·
Now, I'm just a hobbyist and don't really know anything about this whole sniper thing but…….

How is the story supported by a professional international hit man selecting a Ruger Mini-14?
I mean really?

Oh and not just any Ruger Mini-14 but one that comes completely disassemble prior to the moment of truth. I'm no expert but wouldn't there be some effect on point of aim/point of impact?

All I know about this kind of stuff I learned from the movies and video games but wouldn't a bullpup configured for precision work offer a more practical solution here?

I'd think that a professional hit-man would pack his gear in a case that automatically answered the casual observers' question; "I wonder what he's got in there?" He could use a tennis racquet bag for instance.

Oh, I don't know, I guess it's just a movie not a training film.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Yep, or breath the dust coming off your lathe or drill, or forget to to wash your hands, or your clothes before eating, drinking, smoking, brushing your teeth etc.

I cast and load lead, I am not lead averse, but to create an environment where you are repeatedly leaning in to work on a piece of lead that you are drilling is not something I'd recommend - and we haven't even mentioned eye protection.........
I regularly huff the dust coming off of my mill as I drill holes... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
use a kenetic puller and remove projectile
add the proper projectile (they are a few cents each )

why risk giving yourself hi lead levels, ive seen what it does to guys that started pretty healthy
not worth it
hollow points usualy aint that expensive either btw

223, 763x39 are redily available cheaper than ball

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Now, I'm just a hobbyist and don't really know anything about this whole sniper thing but…….

How is the story supported by a professional international hit man selecting a Ruger Mini-14?
I mean really?

Oh, I don't know, I guess it's just a movie not a training film.
That's why you should watch this comedy, ummmm, I mean action-packed drama thriller at some point. Your questions will be answered when you see Jack (played by Clooney) sniping cat tails growing in a pond from about 75 ft. away. No more doubts about the Ruger Mini-14 being the sniper weapon of choice!! ;)

That's Hollywood for you...

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you drill out FMJ's and make hollowpoints, just dont use them for self defense. I could see a defense attotney team tearing you to shreds about "making your own devistating hollowpoint ammo, designed only to kill"....

I have been a reloader for over 20 years, but I make it a point to use factory JHP's when I carry.

G

·
If you drill out FMJ's and make hollowpoints, just dont use them for self defense. I could see a defense attotney team tearing you to shreds about "making your own devistating hollowpoint ammo, designed only to kill"....

I have been a reloader for over 20 years, but I make it a point to use factory JHP's when I carry.
Ahhh.....Wouldn't that be the prosecution?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts