New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many sites out there that offer prepper stuff, weather it be guns and ammo, MRE's, BOB's, etc. Does anyone have a site/store that they can recommend that is good on price/shipping?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Totally depends on what you are buying. No place has the best price on everything. A food store will not hav ethe best price on ammo or the other way around. What I recommend you do is start a list of things you want to add to inventory. Shop for them online and in person until you see 5 or 6 prices for the same item. Now you have an idea of what the current market price is. make a mental or literal note of that price. Then when you see that item at a BARGAIN price - buy it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Totally depends on what you are buying. No place has the best price on everything. A food store will not hav ethe best price on ammo or the other way around. What I recommend you do is start a list of things you want to add to inventory. Shop for them online and in person until you see 5 or 6 prices for the same item. Now you have an idea of what the current market price is. make a mental or literal note of that price. Then when you see that item at a BARGAIN price - buy it.
BEST ADVICE and answer you will get to your question.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
if you can stockpile water (i have 575 gallons) mre can be escaped if you buy a bunch of beans and rice (they dont require heat to cook)
you can add water and a hand full of beans and rice into a ziplock and carry in you pants pocket till it becomes soft and edible (i do this camping)

G

·
Here are just two links to sources for preparedness related equipment and supplies.
Home - Lehmans.com
Potassium Iodide Pills Anti-Radiation Pill & Nuclear Emergency FAQ. Radiation Detectors, Meters, Geiger Counters & Potassium Iodine Iodate pills
Try to avoid buying prepackaged sets, kits or outfits. Do your own research and then apply yourself to assembling your own gear. Similarly, when it comes to long term storage food, learn what it takes and then do it yourself. Buying bulk from Amish/Mennonite stores then repacking is the most cost effective method.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
if you can stockpile water (i have 575 gallons) mre can be escaped if you buy a bunch of beans and rice (they dont require heat to cook)
you can add water and a hand full of beans and rice into a ziplock and carry in you pants pocket till it becomes soft and edible (i do this camping)
what kind of storage? I have two 300 gallon tanks in my basement i should probably be using...was from my ROWPU i had hooked up last year.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Be warned that the human digestive system can not extract many calories from uncooked meat, beans and grains. In an emergency you can get some energy but it is better to cook them.

I am surprised that you can tolerate uncooked beans though, because there is an enzyme in raw beans and legumes that causes intestinal gas and cramping and occasional diarrhea. It can be quite severe in some people. The enzyme is destroyed when beans are boiled for a few minutes.

For many health reasons, including but not limited to disease control, it is best to plan for some method of cooking and boiling water as part of emergency preparedness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts