New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good knife sharpener. Needs to be able to do both straight and serrated blade. Would like to stay under ~$40 if possible. I've seen ones at Dick's for around $10, but I can't help but feel a 'get what you pay for' vibe off of them. The guy at the store says it's the one they use to sharpen their knives around the back of the counter, but...still feel like it's gonna be garbage.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The bottom of a ceramic coffee cup where the glaze has worn off is an excellent sharpener.
You can literally put on a shaving edge.
Across the flat of the bottom with straight blades, and the curve/radius where the corner of the bottom transitions to the sides.

Or do you mean something in a kit box that has several stones and guides and braces and hardware and oil and stuff and junk?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom of a ceramic coffee cup where the glaze has worn off is an excellent sharpener.
You can literally put on a shaving edge.
Across the flat of the bottom with straight blades, and the curve/radius where the corner of the bottom transitions to the sides.

Or do you mean something in a kit box that has several stones and guides and braces and hardware and oil and stuff and junk?
The second one

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Honestly, I have a plain stone that I use most often. Works great.

I also have a set (can't remember the make) that has a set of 3 stones, and a clamp that sets the stones at a set angle for consistent sharpening. I use that one quite often as well. I'll dig around to see if I can find it and tell you what it is.

This is the newer version of what I have. Knife honing kits & sharpening systems | Smith's - The Edge Experts

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
+1 for the Smith kit, I bought mine at Gander Mtn

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Lots of people don't know how to properly use a stone, and that's fine.

I use a stone and a coffee mug like mentioned above.

But I have one of the Lansky kits, and that thing is great. I brought back some knives that were formerly trashed with it. It will put a fantastic and serviceable edge on any knife and makes a great jump off point for learning to maintain an edge with just a stone.

·
Super Moderator
3,241 Posts
I have a Lansky set, works great and easy to use. Keeps a consistent angle on the edge too. My set has four different grit stones from coarse to extra fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.