New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
My son was pretty good in his day, playing since he was a PeeWee up through high school and then after college on weekends. He played on a lot of traveling teams, all throughout the year, even playing indoors in the winter. In his sophomore year of high school I bought him a Nokona glove. His glove has seen considerable use, yet remains in fantastic shape and had only been re-laced once. The leather (unbelievably thick yet supple) and craftsmanship are top-notch, and the company stands behind their product. (Made in Nocona, TX.)

Nokona - Baseball and Softball Equipment

He uses this one for third base/shortstop: AMG-1175W-H - Nokona Store

One note: a glove is like a pair of shoes. It has to feel good on the person using it so it's best to go to a store where you can try a lot for fit.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This is a really loaded question, and like firearms, you'll get 1000 different opinions. Of course there are decent options, in different price ranges ($75 - $400) that you can consider (my opinion of course, as a coach on a 15U travel team). Make sure you get it for the correct hand (throw right or left).

Lower end but quality from "specialty" type vendors:
Boombah Game Ready Fielding Gloves
Gloves (ARC 88)

Middle of the road:
Rawling REVO SOLID CORE 750
Mizuno Classic PRO

Higher End:
Nokona (as Setters posted)
Rawlings HEART OF THE HIDE
Akademo ARO or ATR

If he does any pitching, and would use the same glove, avoid anything with pure white laces or accents to comply with NFHS rules.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I use to give coaching and players clinics. I have given clinics with college coaches as well as the ex major leaguer and manager Joe Altobelli. I was in the Cincinnati Reds organization for a little while. The most important thing about a glove for an infielder is smaller is better! His palm should stick out of the glove slightly. I prefer a hard leather and break it in myself, the soft leather gloves do not last as long. I have had my glove for over 40 years. If you get the hard leather glove, PM me and I can tell you how to break it in, if he is like most young folks, he will want a soft glove.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Another vote for Nokona. They make some pretty nice gloves. I switched over to catcher and used a Wilson a2000 for years. I loved that glove.

A good baseball glove (ie. expensive) may be more than you want to spend for a family member.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Thanks kgun12 !

What brand of glove to you use?
Brand isn't as important as feel. Take him to a store with lots of gloves and let the glove pick him, really. I told my two boys, let the glove talk to you, cause when it does it will pick you. I know it sounds crazy, but both my boys still have their gloves that they picked out when they were 12 years old and they both tried on many many gloves and they just new when it was right and don't worry about name brand!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.