New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought some HSM 7mm 168gr VLD and have good results with them so far. grouping at 100 is 1/2" some groups smaller. at 550 i am consistently hitting my 10" X 10" Steel. i have yet to put it on paper at that range. I was curious if any one is reloading the VLD bullets and what success they are having loading them.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have been using Berger bullets for many years. They are very good quality and consistent. The only thing with VLDs is that they are a tad jump sensitive but Berger is coming out with new offerings of hybrid design. The design it is between secant and tanget type of ogive that makes them less sensitive to seating depts and the jump while providing amazing ballistic coeficients. If you look at the lapua scenar you will see many similiarities with the secant. Whatever they are they are always good quality stuff. Berger and lapua are hard to beat in terms of consistency.
I also have great results with some of the Amax in 5.56, 6, 6.5, 308 and 338 bores.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have used several of the Berger VLD's in 30cal and 338cal I find that with the 338 300gr. the old gen 1 bullets were as meketrefe said jump sensitive. But once you find that sweet spot they shoot great. Also noticed that the berger bullets seem to shoot better at or beyond 300 yards. I think it has something to do with them being so long takes longer for them to go to sleep ant stableize. just got in some 338 OTM bergers havent had a chance to shoot them yet but will pass along how it goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had decent groups at 100yds for my zero but groups did stay very nice at longer ranges. I did notice one nice difference between them and the federal fusions i shot on occassion. At 550yds my come on my turret is 9 MOA and that is what the fusions were at 440yds. they do cut the air well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah they fly very nice. And boy do they hit the steel hard... I will plan on loading some of my own up shortly.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm loading berger 185gr hybrids (.308) w/ Varget. I tried both Varget and RL15, but sticking with Varget.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I use 89g of H1000 with cci mag primers. I use R-15 in the 308 but i use seirra 175 match bullets in that, they seem to shoot better.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Thats the big benifit of the VLD bullets the high BC.
VLD = Very Low Drag.

The new 308 caliber 230 gr Match Hybrid Target with a G1 of 0.743 is pretty remarkable.
A 300 norma (left) should be able to push this to 3000fps out of a 26" barrel.

30cal next to .338. pic courtesy of jeff broz

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The winmag should be a great candidate for this stuff. I ordered a bunch of these bergers to test them out.
You can load them a max COAL but might required some extra reaming depending on your chamber.
My math says the winmag transonic range should be in the ~1,500 meters and subsonic range ~1,850 meters.
Energy at 1000 meters around 1,550 ft-lbs and ~800 ft-lbs at 1 mile.
This Berger hybrid brings a new dimension to the .308 department.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Man I cant wait to get mine back from Savage I am haveing them in stall a brake on a 110 FCP that I just bought. I'm going to give those 230's a try cant wait.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here is a couple of pics from my recent range day the picture with the caliper in it is the Berger 300g OTM Hybrids. 1.70 inches thats the best group I could get that day. O yeah the shooting was done at 325y prone off a bipod. The other pic is a group of 5 300g sierra MKs at the same distance. without the cold bore above the quarter this group is just over an inch 1.13". I think that with a little more time and some more range I could shrink the Bergers down to what the sierras can do.

target1.jpg target2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Here is a couple of pics from my recent range day the picture with the caliper in it is the Berger 300g OTM Hybrids. 1.70 inches thats the best group I could get that day. O yeah the shooting was done at 325y prone off a bipod. The other pic is a group of 5 300g sierra MKs at the same distance. without the cold bore above the quarter this group is just over an inch 1.13". I think that with a little more time and some more range I could shrink the Bergers down to what the sierras can do.

View attachment 9537 View attachment 9536
Very nice. Like with any VLDs play with the seating depth as they are more jump sensitive. The VLD hybrids are supposed to do better like the scenars but you have to keep working at it. There is always a formula your barrel/rifle likes better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts