New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into purchasing one to upgrade from my Remington 1100. I plan on using it for Skeet/Trap, target shooting, home defense. I've been reading about the M4 and everyone keeps praising it, I have yet to see any one say something negative about it besides the 4+1 ammo count on the stock gun. Has anyone used one of these before? I'm curious what people think

And before people start with these posts, yes I know its a $1600 shotgun and I could easily by 1-3 rifles for the same cost, I'll be selling off my 1100 to help with the cost.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I have experience with it from the military and I loved it. You can shoot them all day without hurting your shoulder and I have even seen people shoot 2 at the same time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was that with slug rounds?

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Yes with slugs. Dont get me wrong it has recoil but I never got any bruises or any pain. I know someone on here has the civilian version your thinking about getting and they should be able to tell you how the recoil is on theirs. Also keep in mind besides the benelli I have only shot a pistol grip 12 gauge and a 20 gauge shotgun in boy scouts.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've got one. I've paid lots of money and done lots of modifications to it to get it to be what I could have just done with a Benelli M2 for a lot cheaper. A Benelli M4 is a military gun. We can't have it in its correct form in NY due to AWB laws, so you're going to have to swap out the stock. Then, to get it over the 4 round mag capacity, you're going to have to replace the whole magazine tube with a US made one to be 922r compliant. This requires a blow torch or some serious time with a heat gun. I love mine, but seriously, skip the grief and get an M2. You have way more barrel / magazine / accessories options available to you for much less money.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hoodfu: thanks for all that info, very good stuff. I was excited for the ARGO system of the M4. I looked at the M2 but people say it's recoil feels like a pump shotgun and it has trouble cycling lighter loads and since I'm shooting clay, I don't want to run into that issue.

Now when you say we can't have it in the "correct form", are you talking about a pistol grip + extended magazine tube?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I recently purchased an M4 and I can't be happier with it. Personally, I wouldn't bother altering it. The only thing I could see adding is a side saddle ( I put the standard $5 elastic one on the stock and it works fine and makes a comfy cheek weld.) The only other thing I plan on adding is the forward sling mount that incorporates a small picatinny rail for my TLR-1). It's pretty damn accurate using just the irons for an 18.5" barrel too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep, we can't have the pistol grip with the magazine over 5 rounds. With an M2 with field stock (non-pistol grip), you can get the extended magazine tubes up to 10 rounds total. You just have to get good springs like the Wolff ones that will maintain a tight enough tension.

People will often complain (including myself when I first got it) about these Benelli guns not cycling lighter loads. Most of the time it comes down to it being a dry gun. I put up a video of my M4 short cycling with Winchester bird shot. The answer was TW-20 grease all around the rear parts and now it'll cycle anything like a champ. Not Remington oil mind you, grease. The following 2 things will make a Benelli sing for clays and 3-gun competitions.

Premier Nitro Gold Sporting Clays Target Ammo 12 Ga 2-3/4 1-1/8oz #7-1/2 Shot High Velocity

NRA Licensed Gun Care System By Mil-Comm TW25B Gun Grease 1-3/4oz Bottle

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could deal with the 4+1 rounds, I know its not a lot but for my applications I won't need any more (except for may be home defense) but it would still be nice. The only accessories I would put on any shotgun would be a shell holder and a flash light, I don't intend to fill it up with 50 things.

thanks for those links hoodfu. I'll keep those in mind.

Looks like I have options to weigh. I wish i knew some people around the Rochester area with an M2 and an M4 so I could test 'em out. I love how my 1100 handles target loads, its like shooting a .22 (I also have a decent recoil pad on it and I'm a big guy so I absorb it pretty well) so I'm leaning towards the M4 b/c of that.

Have any of you shot the M3 for comparisons sake?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Or find a pre-ban M1 and have extended tube and a pistol grip. If you look they can be had for around $650.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or find a pre-ban M1 and have extended tube and a pistol grip. If you look they can be had for around $650.
I'll look into that. I'm still leaning towards that M4 though haha. I'm not too worried about the extended tube. If I want, in the future I may pick up another stock so I can run with the extended tube.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'll look into that. I'm still leaning towards that M4 though haha. I'm not too worried about the extended tube. If I want, in the future I may pick up another stock so I can run with the extended tube.
Just remember that using an extended tube on an imported semi-auto shotgun requires a full 922r rework. You'll be replacing a lot more than just the stock to be in federal compliance. It's a big pain in the butt. If you're ever curious to see what's necessary, you can visit here:

Freedom Fighter Tactical | Precision Firearms Parts and AccessoriesFreedom Fighter Tactical |

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just remember that using an extended tube on an imported semi-auto shotgun requires a full 922r rework. You'll be replacing a lot more than just the stock to be in federal compliance. It's a big pain in the butt. If you're ever curious to see what's necessary, you can visit here:

Freedom Fighter Tactical*|*Precision Firearms Parts and AccessoriesFreedom Fighter Tactical*|*
Thanks for the link I'll be sure to check it out.

In case ya'll wondering, I ordered my M4 last night, should have it within the next 2 weeks. Can't wait to test this out.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Absolutely love my M4. Bought a Brilley (sp?) skeet choke for it and it does very well. Like other have said, I had trouble cycling target load with it at first, and only used 00 buck, but once I gave it it's first cleaning, I used some Beaverlube and now it'll shoot absolutely anything I feed it. Awesome gun, and I don't think I could ever own another shotgun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Speaking of different loads, with the stock barrel configuration, what can it shoot? can't it shoot?

I'm looking to shoot target loads for skeet/trap and slug rounds which are rifled slugs so with those work with the stock barrel?

·
Registered
380 Posts
It can shoot everything, but you'll want to swap out the chokes depending on what you're shooting. Slugs need the cylinder/open choke. Using anything tighter than that with slugs will wear it out after a short while. Same goes for steel shot. Shooting skeet which is very close is almost always also the cylinder/open choke since you want the widest pattern. For trap since you're looking at 20+ meters out of a very short 18" barrel, you're going to want a full or the one closest to full choke to get as tight a pattern as possible. This is going to end up being a personal preference. The further the clay is from you, the tighter the choke you'll need. The shorter the barrel, the wider the pattern, the tighter the choke you'll need. You'll probably have to try a few different ones to get a feel for it. Even with a 26" Benelli Vinci, I use the choke that's one down from full so I have a good amount of time to hit it after launch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive had my M4 for about 2 years now. I cant say enough about how great of a shotgun it is. Shoots like a dream, deadly accurate even with the factory ghost ring sights and standard Super-X slugs. You pay for what you get and boy oh boy, do you get alot.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Thanks for the link I'll be sure to check it out.

In case ya'll wondering, I ordered my M4 last night, should have it within the next 2 weeks. Can't wait to test this out.
Nice, I drooled over the M4 but just didn't want to spend that much $$$. I "settled" for a Mossy 930SPX! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice, I drooled over the M4 but just didn't want to spend that much $$$. I "settled" for a Mossy 930SPX! :)
A friend of mine mentioned the Mossberg 930SPX to me but it didn't seem too much different from my Remington 1100 and I also really wanted to own at least 1 Benelli shotgun. I saw the Benelli M4 in video games but it wasn't until this season of Top Shot that it really grabbed my interested. I started reading some articles on it and videos... the fact that EVERYONE was giving it 10/10 ratings with no negative feedback on it (except the magazine count), I just had to have it haha. I started this thread to get some info from people who have shot or owned it that isn't being paid or relying on ad revenue for a review :p

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
the 930 is vastly different from an 1100 and is a fantastic bargain for the price. After getting the chance to shoot spaghetti guns I would say getting a 930 is FAR from "settling".

And this is coming from someone that hated mossberg shotguns before I had the chance to run a 930.

edit: derp

1 - 20 of 31 Posts