New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody doing any landscaping / gardening lately?

Been busting my butt the past two weekends getting the house in shape for my son's communion this weekend. Replaced a beautiful weeping birch that succumbed to the Oct storm year before last with a Japanese maple. That was a lot of work lol. Back yard is coming in nicely around the patio. Wish I had more time to enjoy it. Will post some pics when I get home. Post em up if you got them!

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Hopefully, when we get to PA this weekend, we'll see some grass coming up. Another load of topsoil coming in 3 more weeks, then we'll plant some more. (Shale sucks, btw.) I have two blueberry bushes in big ol' pots that I've been dragging from NY to PA every summer so that I can keep them watered. I'm still not sure why I bother. We have communion coming up, too, but the weekend after.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes we are making our garden 3 times the size this year, all organic seed and all organic dirt. We will can the veggies, I am looking for organic meat to buy because I will boycott hunting this fall. Between me and my 2 boys we usually get enough meat for the year. I will turkey hunt this spring because I already bought the license.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes we are making our garden 3 times the size this year, all organic seed and all organic dirt. We will can the veggies, I am looking for organic meat to buy because I will boycott hunting this fall. Between me and my 2 boys we usually get enough meat for the year. I will turkey hunt this spring because I already bought the license.
Why are you boycotting hunting?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Got the belt changed in the tiller, fixed the broken bolt that was a casualty of the belt change. Got the small lawnmower PM'd and subsequently used, the string trimmer was running a little rough but some seafoam should help that out. Chainsaw runs good. Fixed the front diff on the wheeler, finally. Got the compost spread on the garden, and staked out the spring project - Moving the hot tub and building a deck off the patio. During the moving/building, I need to install drain tile and waterseal the foundation along that part of the house, we have been putting up with some water coming thru the wall the past years and I need to get that done before putting up the deck and dropping the hot tub in the way. Hoping to be done completely and soaking in the tub by the end of May at the latest.

See what happens when I can't get to the range as often? Projects come outta nowhere..

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
cgrutt, that back patio is nice!

I spread 3 loads of manure on the garden this past weekend. It's going to be tilled on Thursday, and then I'll be transplanting my plants this weekend.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cgrutt, that back patio is nice!

I spread 3 loads of manure on the garden this past weekend. It's going to be tilled on Thursday, and then I'll be transplanting my plants this weekend.

Thanks! My buddy built it. I have a smaller tractor than yours (Massey Ferguson) that moved 90 tons of gravel to get her done, lol...

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Applied 40 yards of well rotted manure around the hops...shot woodchucks with the Rem 1/2 oz. HV 20ga.slugs

Spread a final coat of joint compound in the bathroom...shot woodchucks with the 50 gr.Sierra blitz in the 223

Replaced the roof over the bathroom.............................shot woodchucks with Noslers 40gr Ballistic Tip in the 22-250

Cut and split two loads of firewood..............shot woodchucks with Noslers 50gr Ballistic Tip in the 220 swift

Took the blades off of the mower and sharpened them.....went to Bass-Pro and picked up powder and 125 grain Ballistic tips to shoot woodchucks with my wifes M-70 30-06 National Match.

·
Registered
266 Posts
nope not gardening but auto work! the wife has been piddling in her flower/plant gardens though.

changed the headgaskets in my subaru forester. pulled the engine to do it (alot easier) and did a timing belt and water pump too. one head had some severe pitting and a ring from the head gasket wearing into the head so i made an apparatus involving plate glass, sheets of sandpaper (220, 320 and 600 grit) and a deck plate from a turbo chrysler to sand the cyl head smooth and flat again. turned out mint! worked out so well that im going to get some custom glass cut so i can do this on a regular basis if need be.

anywho, that car is back on the road and my reliant is now in the garage. pulled the motor this evening to install and even bigger turbo, even bigger injectors and a ported intake manifold. :)

tomorrow, eat steak and tune a 85 shelby charger turbo. :)

now thursday, i have to get the mower tuned up and cut some of the grass. :)

Brian

·
3,501 Posts
"Digging" up this thread! Grass is finally coming in, but we're still waiting on the second load of topsoil. Hope it's soon, before the weather gets really hot. Cgrutt, I swear if you make me any more jealous, I'm not ever replying to your threads again! (J/K - the patio is gorgeous.) Of course, I'm every bit as jealous that Varmint's out there shooting.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Very nice. I've just been mowing the lawn and cleaning out the beds etc. I hate yard work. It's boring as hell.

·
3,501 Posts
Very nice. I've just been mowing the lawn and cleaning out the beds etc. I hate yard work. It's boring as hell.
Maybe I'm weird (well, I know I'm weird), but I really like mowing the lawn.
Here's one more pic. This one is a little clearing that I'm working on making bigger, then using as a sort of outdoor range. It's in a little hollow, so there's a natural backstop, and depending on where you stand you could shoot straight ahead, from uphill, or down. I have a question, though. Do you think I need to worry about any type of contamination? Further down the hollow, there's a little spring that comes up out of the ground. We don't use it, but the animals do.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Been working on my garden, AND trying to keep my lawn from turning brown. This nice weather is certainly awesome, but, no rain is making the lawn unhappy. So, hooked up the ol' sprinkler yesterday, and gave the lawn a nice "much needed" cool drink.

Next on the list is to finish cleaning & scrubbing down the vinyl siding on the house....Maybe do that on Wednesday? Already did the front of the house, and one side, last week....

After that, I need to go buy a new screen door for the front of the house (my old cat destroyed it)....the wooden post fence is starting to rot.....need to buy mulch, man....I swear, it never ends

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Pressure washer vs Yellow Jacket fortification. Pressure washer 1, Yellow Jackets 0.

No flammable liquids used either!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.