New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time gun owner who's in the home stretch of getting his pistol permit in Westchester county. Sept. 15th will be the 5 month mark from when my paperwork/interview was finished. So close...moving to Putnam county in the next couple months but that's another thing.

With this being my very first firearm of any sort I'm trying to get ahead of the and get everything I would need before I pick my pistol up. A very important piece of equipment I feel I need is a bedside gun safe and I was hoping that the forums would be able to recommend me some options.

Here's some more information in regards to what I'm looking for...

With this being my first and only firearm (for the time being) I just need a gun safe that will hold 1 pistol, room for an extra mag and small flashlight would be great too.

I have a 1 year old and I need to have something that she'll NEVER accidentally get into.

I don't want a in the wall safe or one that isn't accessible quickly. IF I need the pistol I want to be able to get to it fairly quickly.

A safe with multiple means of unlocking is something I'd like as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I'm in love with this but havent pulled the trigger on it just yet due to the price.

The GunBox - Defend Responsibly

Multiple forms of RFID available give you quick easy access (I would go for the $299 model which has RFID and Fingerprint access), and it looks innocuous enough that you can leave it right on your dresser or night stand and it will not to call attention to itself. Seems pretty secure to me although no safe is 100% secure. Hornady makes a similar rapid access safe with some nice features but to me, plastering the hornady logo all over it draws too much attention to it. There are other forms of biometric safes out there, but this solution seems to be the fastest and under pressure I don't want to have to remember a combo, key sequence or where I put the darn key.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I have the gunvault nanovault cabled to the steel of my bed frame.
Firearm Safes - Portable Gun Safe - NanoVault | GunVault
It's opened with a key and it's $35. I don't trust anything electronic to open when I need it.

If you want to take the box, you take a 7' long piece of steel also.

There are plenty of videos of people trying to break into the box. The police will show up before they get it open.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have the Gunvault SV500 SpeedVault.
SV500 SpeedVault | GunVault | GunVault

It's a great quick access vault with electronic buttons where you pick a sequence to open it. It comes with key back up if battery dies or you forget the code. When it opens there is an internal light so you can see what you are grabbing. The foam inside holds your pistol in a secure spot with grip at the ready. It is not big enough to hold a flashlight as well although you can remove some of the foam to store an extra mag.

Gunvault makes a biometric version (more $) but I have heard too many comments about the biometrics being finicky - the last thing you want is difficulty opening in a stressful situation. Without the code/key it can't be opened and the indicator/led will show if someone has attempted to open it.

Less expensive on Amazon (approx $134) than the MSRP.

I open it every couple of days to ensure it works and that I am familiar with the code to open. Can be done by feel in the dark.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it seems that GunVault gun safes are the ones to look into. Thanks for the info everybody.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I'm a first time gun owner who's in the home stretch of getting his pistol permit in Westchester county. Sept. 15th will be the 5 month mark from when my paperwork/interview was finished. So close...moving to Putnam county in the next couple months but that's another thing.

With this being my very first firearm of any sort I'm trying to get ahead of the and get everything I would need before I pick my pistol up. A very important piece of equipment I feel I need is a bedside gun safe and I was hoping that the forums would be able to recommend me some options.

Here's some more information in regards to what I'm looking for...

With this being my first and only firearm (for the time being) I just need a gun safe that will hold 1 pistol, room for an extra mag and small flashlight would be great too.

I have a 1 year old and I need to have something that she'll NEVER accidentally get into.

I don't want a in the wall safe or one that isn't accessible quickly. IF I need the pistol I want to be able to get to it fairly quickly.

A safe with multiple means of unlocking is something I'd like as well.

Thanks
i gotta say i have two of these..pictured below..32$ free shipping on ebay.i got two little kids too...digi numbers u make code and hidden key entry if u forget. I keep pistols in one and spare ammo in the other. Yes its not a giant real safe but hey..3/4 inch steel is enough..best purchases ever for 30$! 12x9x9ish..and had holes for mounting on back and on bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use a SV500 Gunvault and a stack on model similar to 4excalibur's. Both very good and quick to get into. IMO can't go wrong with either type. I think it would come down to placement. Figure out the best place to secure the safe if you don't use a cable style lock box.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would also look at fas1safe.com. I switched from a Gunvault deluxe to one of these and could not be happier. Mine is secured to the floor inside my closet next to my bed.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Fort Knox pistol box. Its about $300 and worth every penny. Whatever you get be sure to bolt it down. Good luck with your permit.

·
Registered
971 Posts
i gotta say i have two of these..pictured below..32$ free shipping on ebay.i got two little kids too...digi numbers u make code and hidden key entry if u forget. I keep pistols in one and spare ammo in the other. Yes its not a giant real safe but hey..3/4 inch steel is enough..best purchases ever for 30$! 12x9x9ish..and had holes for mounting on back and on bottom.
Similar models from harbor freight..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like my fort knox pistol box. I think I payed about $200 on amazon. Of all the bedside type boxes, it is the heaviest and made of 12 gauge and 10 gauge steel and can be bolted down. No batteries or biometrics. Just an old fashion push button simplex. Some of the other brands can be pryed into into in a few minutes with some simple hand tools.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like my fort knox pistol box. I think I payed about $200 on amazon. Of all the bedside type boxes, it is the heaviest and made of 12 gauge and 10 gauge steel and can be bolted down. No batteries or biometrics. Just an old fashion push button simplex. Some of the other brands can be pryed into into in a few minutes with some simple hand tools.
I second the fort knox. I have two - pricey, but you're definitely buying quality. When you're dealing with firearms, kids, and thieves, you WANT quality. My belief is to never rely on electronics (because they fail when you need it most) and you can use multiple buttons at once to complicate the combo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I second the fort knox. I have two - pricey, but you're definitely buying quality. When you're dealing with firearms, kids, and thieves, you WANT quality. My belief is to never rely on electronics (because they fail when you need it most) and you can use multiple buttons at once to complicate the combo.
I have the biometric lock on my iphone. It works most of the time. If my hands are wet from having a cold one it fails miserably though. Guess what.....my simplex lock on my pistol box has never failed.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I too have the GunVault with the keypad, NOT biometric. They can all be broken into, once your kid is old enough to use Google, your safe is just going to slow them down. That is where educating your kids on guns comes into play. There is no safe that will keep them out, if you rely on that then you are asking for problems.

The biometric ones are especially problematic, and I like being able to authorize other users. The key sequences are very natural, its not really a "combination" as much as a pattern. If that is the only gun around, I will open it before I go to sleep.

Need to look into that GunBox Jayk500 linked. Never been a big fan of RFID stuff (I prefer "something you know" or "something you are" to "something you have" as far as authentication methods) but that one looks cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not a fan of the bio-metrics, give me a mechanical combo lock or some sort and a key for a backup. My daughter will be educated about firearms and safety, that's a no-brainer.

I like the GunVault boxes for traveling, when I'm traveling for the weekend to visit in-laws when I know we'll be heading to the range at some point. The cable tie is a must with those but getting one isn't an issue just something extra.

The Fort Knox seems like a better option for a safe in the bedroom. A heavy duty one like that that I can bolt down is best. Granted when it comes to safety money isn't an issue. I'll spend what I need to make sure my family and I are safe. I just don't need anything extra.

Just glad mostly everybody is on the same page here. Because we all know that if I was asking what pistol is best it would be a very different post...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts