New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really considered opening my own shop and I was wondering how to go about this. I know I have read a couple of members on here did something like this but I cannot find it. How is the ATF in NY? Do I have to be zoned commercial or is that up to the local town/city? I know many of them are right out of people's homes. I really need some insight on this matter so any info would be great!!

Thanks!

James

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Btw crunch the numbers on even a small retail shop. It's astronomical.
Then factor in liability insurance. It's overwhelming. The govt doesn't make things any easier

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw crunch the numbers on even a small retail shop. It's astronomical.
Then factor in liability insurance. It's overwhelming. The govt doesn't make things any easier
I assumed this as well so I was thinking of looking for property in PA near the NY/PA border to see if their would be a difference. I'm read the ATF FAQ as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
How much liability insurance is required for a FFL, and where can you find that stated? Or do you just need it to be in business, irregardless of it being a gun shop?

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I do not understand on the FFL application is it asks for your business name and location. Now I do not want to invest into all this time and money for a shop only to find out my application is denied and have to appeal for it. I thought you can become a FFL without having a shop for personal use. I figured I would do that first and then get my business.

James

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Nope. Gotta have a location. Also liability insurance etc is not required but having a physical walk in shop it's really really needed. Isn't required for any FFL type.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Also take note. The location of the FFL is up to inspection by ATF. Home FFL? Yup, ATF can legally search your house, it's under the same roof. This is why many people make the premises a separate building. ATF would be limited to a garage, etc this way

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also take note. The location of the FFL is up to inspection by ATF. Home FFL? Yup, ATF can legally search your house, it's under the same roof. This is why many people make the premises a separate building. ATF would be limited to a garage, etc this way
Do you have an FFL? Yeah I do not care if they search my house for this reason. Right now I'm renting and looking to buy a house so I have to talk to my local sheriff and see what he has to say as for zoning. I do not think it is an issue since most people with an FFL around here are out of their homes. I do wonder how much liability insurance costs though.

James

·
Registered
853 Posts
Forget the Sheriff. Your first stop should be your local zoning department. If you can't get the proper zoning you're done. You don't have to be in a commercially zoned area or have no zoning restictions. You can go to your zoning board of appeals and apply for a variance. The ATF could be fine with wherever you are but if you can't get the zoning it's a show stopper.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Forget the Sheriff. Your first stop should be your local zoning department.
I agree! I currently have all my paperwork submitted to the ATF for a home based FFL. After checking with the zoning office and getting approval it was a go for me. That was the one thing that could of stopped me. Also, make sure you don't have a home owners association (HOA) that can stop this process. You will need a letter from them also. It's costly to get going. I formed a LLC and DBA in NY (which the rape you for). Liability insurance will be in the $500/year range. From what I know, the ATF will only inspect the area of your home that you will do business in.I did work with someone to get this going so you can PM me and I'll send you his link.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My brother has a tenant who was putting in for his FFL, the ATF had to clear it with my brother as well since he is the owner of the property...not sure which way my brother is leaning. Just FYI

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I agree! I currently have all my paperwork submitted to the ATF for a home based FFL. After checking with the zoning office and getting approval it was a go for me. That was the one thing that could of stopped me. Also, make sure you don't have a home owners association (HOA) that can stop this process. You will need a letter from them also. It's costly to get going. I formed a LLC and DBA in NY (which the rape you for). Liability insurance will be in the $500/year range. From what I know, the ATF will only inspect the area of your home that you will do business in.I did work with someone to get this going so you can PM me and I'll send you his link.
I am pretty confident they are not limited to the single room or area. As ive been told in the past a number of times, if its under the same roof, they get cart blanche on that structure (if your a renter, then only the area of building that you have access to / rent).

If you get permission do to a "home based" FFL, i would advise to try and have it set up in an outbuilding, separate from your house.

$500 a year liability is cheap. Where did you get that estimate? I know one of the local shops here pays ~$25k a year if i recall...though they are a large operation (high volume seller), their coverage may be far greater than basic coverage..

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am pretty confident they are not limited to the single room or area. As ive been told in the past a number of times, if its under the same roof, they get cart blanche on that structure (if your a renter, then only the area of building that you have access to / rent).

If you get permission do to a "home based" FFL, i would advise to try and have it set up in an outbuilding, separate from your house.

$500 a year liability is cheap. Where did you get that estimate? I know one of the local shops here pays ~$25k a year if i recall...though they are a large operation (high volume seller), their coverage may be far greater than basic coverage..
My quote was slightly off. It's $900/year through the NRA Business Alliance. I'm still searching for a better quote, not sure if i'll find one or not.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So your plan is to open your Home based FFL in a home you rent? You will find insurance insanely expensive. I would reccomend a business plan to crunch the numbers.

Do you have an FFL? Yeah I do not care if they search my house for this reason. Right now I'm renting and looking to buy a house so I have to talk to my local sheriff and see what he has to say as for zoning. I do not think it is an issue since most people with an FFL around here are out of their homes. I do wonder how much liability insurance costs though.

James

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
From my conversations with FFL applicants the ATF has cracked down on kitchen table dealers and is requiring a physical location to get your license.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I spoke with an ATF I.O. investigator ~3 months ago... They don't care if you're in a kitchen or a basement. If you pass state and local muster they're OK with it. It all comes down to local laws.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke with an ATF I.O. investigator ~3 months ago... They don't care if you're in a kitchen or a basement. If you pass state and local muster they're OK with it. It all comes down to local laws.
This is what is going to get me is the local laws. I'm looking to buy a house and have my business there. I assume it does not have to be zoned commercial because many of the mom and pop gun stores are not in commercial areas. I'm new to all of this and I have to find out the steps with the local town before I can actually go for a FFL.

James

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
My quote was slightly off. It's $900/year through the NRA Business Alliance. I'm still searching for a better quote, not sure if i'll find one or not.
usually NRA has its own set of "requirements" to get insurance through them. I know for instructors they need to fulfill X Y Z requirements to get coverage. Also look at what the coverage includes, and the amount of. Again if it was only $900 a year for real coverage through NRA, I am sure the shop I know of would of gone that route. Its likely bare bones, but still better than nothing.

Doesnt it suck living in a world of sue happy people? :mad:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts