New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering putting a BCM Gunfighter compensator on my AR build. Can anyone tell me if this compensator would be NY pre SAFE act compliant? I can't find any information to determine what is and what isn't legal to install. One gun shop told me "if you can't stick your finger in it, it is legal". I have never seen a Gunfighter comp in person but I would assume it would pass that test. Also, if the Gunfighter is legal, any opinions on going with the Mod 1 or the Mod 0? My barrel is 16" without a comp so length would not be a requirement.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you plan on having a pistol grip, and registering the firearm... then by all means, put whatever you want on the rifle... flash hider, adjustable stock... whatever you want. The new law forgot to define what you can do beyond having to register it... if it's evil in any way (semi-auto, detatchable magazine and any one feature like pistol grip = AW = registration)

If you do NOT want to register, you need a BULL barrel and some non-pistol grip... you can put a fake suppresor or a fake flash hider, but it can NOT be a compensator... in the new law there is no distinction between Compensator and Flash Hider...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The comp is illegal under the new NYS law.

Never heard of mod 2. I have a mod 1 for my 14.5".

Either will be fine on a 16".

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
There is no more compensator / muzzle brake / muzzle device allowed under the new law. The previous law was only flash hiders being illegal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, I see what your saying. I should have said pre SAFE act compliant. My build is pre SAFE act. So, would this comp be pre SAFE act compliant?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Doesn't matter... pre-safe or post safe, if you have it, it needs to be registered (or you need to not shoot it in public).

If you are planning on registering, get whatever you want. Flash hider, compensator, bayonet lug, adjustable stock, light saber...

If you are NOT going to register AND you want it legal, besides taking a hack saw to the pistol grip, you need a bull barrel (or a pin welded thread cap on the threads of the barrel) or a fake suppresor/flash hider pin welded on.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If your building an AR id go with a non threaded barrel.. that way you can make it legal so you dont have to register it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Warner41, since you have both the Mod 1 and Mod 0, which would you recommend? My barrel is 16.1" without a comp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts