New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester Model 70 .30-06 that has been used pretty hard over the years. I want to make some modifications, and I'd like to do them myself to save money since the gun isn't exactly worth anything anyway. I've been watching videos covering barrel cutting and I have to say that it looks fairly easy. Am I wrong here? If I am I want to hear it.

My eventual plans are to shorten the barrel, give it a synthetic stock, new trigger and possibly a detachable magazine modification.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You have access to a lathe, and basic machining knowledge?

Kudos if you do, that's how I make my living.

I ask, because the crown is pretty important.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 70 .30-06 that has been used pretty hard over the years. I want to make some modifications, and I'd like to do them myself to save money since the gun isn't exactly worth anything anyway. I've been watching videos covering barrel cutting and I have to say that it looks fairly easy. Am I wrong here? If I am I want to hear it.

My eventual plans are to shorten the barrel, give it a synthetic stock, new trigger and possibly a detachable magazine modification.
You do not need a lathe for cutting the barrel but you do need a tool to face the crown. A straight clean cut with a saw and crowning
is a must if you want to preserve accuracy. Otherwise accuracy will suffer.
There are tools that work with an electric drill. These tools have a pilot that goes into the bore to make the crowning cut perfect.
Then a bit of lapping with a brass nipple or any other brass material one can find and that is done.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
This video from Midway made it look pretty simple. I don't even see the need for the dovetail tool he uses.

How to Shorten and recrown a rifle barrel with hand tools « Firearms

Meketrefe, the tool you mention that attaches to the drill, do you know where I can find that or what it is called?
There are tools specific for a powered tool like the MAson Reamers (more expensive) but you can also attach other regular
reamers to a slow moving power tool. With a pilot this can be done manually but the handle piece is more expensive and
the reamer could be put on a drill with variable speed and achieve even a more consistent cut.
the one above will do it.
the key here is to cut a bit longer that what you need and if you make a mistake you can always fix it by cutting a bit more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/68...ilot-set-300-312-330-366?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Or...

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...utters/79-muzzle-crowning-cutter-prod628.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...lots/rifle-muzzle-brass-pilots-prod41628.aspx

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I think that video from Mr. Larry is ok but you don't need the fixture to align. You can use any square angle to do that.
Also I suggest to run very mildly a bit of lapping after facing the crown to remove any burrs.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the tips. I think I'm going to replace the stock first and then decide what I want to do with the barrel. If the tools are $100 anyway, I may just go to a gunsmith. Any idea what a barrel cutting average cost would run?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Thank you for the tips. I think I'm going to replace the stock first and then decide what I want to do with the barrel. If the tools are $100 anyway, I may just go to a gunsmith. Any idea what a barrel cutting average cost would run?
$160-$200 down here in the Hudson Valley

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
No problem. Keep in mind you can rent a reamer for a few bucks. Also check for used ones in ebay.
There are other methods available. One can always try and test as soon as you cut a bit longer so you
can fix it later if needed.
If you cut too much you cannot glue it back obviously! lol.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Bit off topic but with a shotgun barrel you can just cut away right? I have an old banged up 28 inch I would like to take down to about 19.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tony, I tend to agree about the trigger but it is still something I want to consider.

I found someone to cut and port my barrel right here on SI. He's a licensed gunsmith who apparently has national renown for his work on competition handguns.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Tony, I tend to agree about the trigger but it is still something I want to consider.

I found someone to cut and port my barrel right here on SI. He's a licensed gunsmith who apparently has national renown for his work on competition handguns.
I had an idea to crown the barrel that is easy. do you have a drill press?
I need to test this process.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have access to my step-father's and he is very good with it. What were you thinking? I'd love to save the money on the cutting and just use him to port it.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have access to my step-father's and he is very good with it. What were you thinking? I'd love to save the money on the cutting and just use him to port it.
Dont port the barrel. If you want a brake have one custom made. Don't even have to thread the barrel. you can do a sleeve type of brake. A lot of things can go wrong with the porting job. With a sleeve brake if one misses then one can cut a new one. Can even use an existing cheap brake and open it up.
I am courrious. I have a lathe but kept thinking what if I wanted to do this and didn't have a lathe.
I guess the challenge is what keeps the gears moving.

Do you have strong clamps? ... I have to test this and then I can post.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts