New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one appears to be flying under the radar. Governor Hochul and AG Letitia James are reviving the ammo sales restrictions that were part of the original 2013 "SAFE" Act:

“We went back and looked at our laws, because I had a lot of questions about ammunition,” Hochul said at the time. “And in our review, we determined that there’s actually an old MOU that was signed related to ammunition sales after laws were passed a decade ago, it was an administration document between the prior administration and the Senate Republicans. So we are literally tearing it up, and New York will now require and conduct background checks for all ammunition purchases.”
-- https://thereload.com/new-york-attorney-general-goes-after-online-ammo-dealers/
The problem is that there is currently no mechanism for conducting background checks for ammo purchases in New York State, as I'm sure most of us know. That was the whole reason for the MOU in the first place. Unless my memory fails me, the entire ammo-background-check portion of "SAFE" is contingent on the establishment of a database for recording these sales. Such a database does not exist, and if you look at the bureaucratic behemoth that is called for in the text of the original law, it is unlikely that it ever will exist.

I foresee a lot of new legal action surrounding this one.

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
This one appears to be flying under the radar. Governor Hochul and AG Letitia James are reviving the ammo sales restrictions that were part of the original 2013 "SAFE" Act:
“We went back and looked at our laws, because I had a lot of questions about ammunition,” Hochul said at the time. “And in our review, we determined that there’s actually an old MOU that was signed related to ammunition sales after laws were passed a decade ago, it was an administration document between the prior administration and the Senate Republicans. So we are literally tearing it up, and New York will now require and conduct background checks for all ammunition purchases.”
The problem is that there is currently no mechanism for conducting background checks for ammo purchases in New York State, as I'm sure most of us know. That was the whole reason for the MOU in the first place. Unless my memory fails me, the entire ammo-background-check portion of "SAFE" is contingent on the establishment of a database for recording these sales. Such a database does not exist, and if you look at the bureaucratic behemoth that is called for in the text of the original law, it is unlikely that it ever will exist.

I foresee a lot of new legal action surrounding this one.
I believe the California was was challenged but I can’t remember where it is right now. Too many going on.
I don’t really think it’s flying under the radar but I’m not sure there is a challenge to NYS rule/law yet. The MOU for the safe act means nothing and was a poor olive branch by the Cuomo admin because I’m sure someone said if you don’t I’ll go public with something g like how much they spent trying to do this and was not successful. An ammo background check of sorts is in play right now and if you go to buy ammo they ask your information and license now. The full background check doesn’t go into effect until 4/23 but will it be ready by then?? Who knows.
I have made the appropriate preparations in advance of this law as others should have done. I’m also fully prepared to never buy ammo in NYS again if they keep this up. They will not get my tax money in this regard anymore. I’m going to VA in April and will
purchase some there if needed. I’m not a bad drive from PA so I will go there every 6 months to a year if needed. This sucks for NYS FFL’s and stores but the cabelas by me is a joke with ammo and I refuse to ask a guy to unlock the cabinet, grab what I need, and then go through the hassle to check out and put my name, address, and other information in a pad of paper for someone to steal and know what guns I have and where I live. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I refuse to ask a guy to unlock the cabinet, grab what I need, and then go through the hassle to check out and put my name, address, and other information in a pad of paper for someone to steal and know what guns I have and where I live.
Yep, I feel many people have a similar view of the new legislation. Sadly this will continue to impact the smaller locally run shops. I'm sure certain NY officials would not be disappointed to see all ammo sales cease.

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
LGS will charge $15 for an ammo transfer. Figure out how much to buy to mitigate the charge. Cabela's has lots of practice ammo, limited SD ammo.
That’s not the point. The point is NYS is now tracking every ammo purchase you’re making as well as credit card companies tracking gun purchases and sending them to the authorities if they are suspicious. Also as of 4/2023 they will do a NYSP background check and charge you $10 for that. When that occurs I’ll bet the transfer price increases for more than $15. Also what hoops do you need to jump through to buy at Cabelas? It’s like Fort Knox in there. You have to have the key holder guy unlock it for you, record your information, and then check out at a special counter. Nope not doing it.
So my thought is why buy in NYS, get tracked, and give NYS funding to pass and enforce more gun laws? I have a pistol permit so NYS has deemed me not a threat and of good moral character. Why not make it so I have to show my permit and not be tracked to buy ammo? They didn’t do that so there’s a reason for this additional tracking measure and I don’t like it. I won’t participate. I’m April I’m going to Virginia and I’ll bet the sales tax there is cheaper so I’ll buy what I want there. I don’t need anything since I took measures prior to this happening. I’ll buy some 20 gauge game hunting loads and a few other things. I’m set on everything else.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also as of 4/2023 they will do a NYSP background check and charge you $10 for that.
That NYSP background check might go the way of Cuomo's pipe dream -- up in smoke. I don't think the powers-that-be in Albany have any idea of the size of the task they're about to undertake. If it's going to be of any value whatsoever (and that's a big "if"), it will need to be as robust as NICS. Frankly, I don't think they can do it.

If they had any brains they'd go with a "buyer ID" instead, like Illinois and Connecticut have, rather than trying to monitor each and every purchase. But again, that's a big "if."

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
That NYSP background check might go the way of Cuomo's pipe dream -- up in smoke. I don't think the powers-that-be in Albany have any idea of the size of the task they're about to undertake. If it's going to be of any value whatsoever (and that's a big "if"), it will need to be as robust as NICS. Frankly, I don't think they can do it.

If they had any brains they'd go with a "buyer ID" instead, like Illinois and Connecticut have, rather than trying to monitor each and every purchase. But again, that's a big "if."
What you need to or should realize is I don’t think they care what it takes to get it done. I think the $10 per check will make them money and if not they will raise it. If that doesn’t work or they get backlogged it will be no ammo sales today in NYS. They don’t care about your rights, they don’t care or want you to have ammo.
On the flip side you maybe right but I don’t think they would have added that if they didn’t have a means to do it. I have a bit of an inside track and some one told me they have been putting $10 million per year for the last 5 years in the NYSP budget for a category called database, no one knew what it was for until now. They have the money for it and if not they will get it by raising our taxes or the cost of the check. After all Kathy Hochul said it will reduce murders by 22%.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What you need to or should realize is I don’t think they care what it takes to get it done. I think the $10 per check will make them money and if not they will raise it. If that doesn’t work or they get backlogged it will be no ammo sales today in NYS. They don’t care about your rights, they don’t care or want you to have ammo.
I see your point. They don't care if it's all a huge clusterf&*%. In fact, they'd like it if that suppressed ammo sales in NY.

I predict a huge ammo sales boom for Pennsylvania and Vermont. And if NY wants to try to squelch that, it's going to raise some interesting Constitutional questions, like how a state can prevent one of its residents from (a) purchasing a product legally in a neighboring state and (b) bringing it back into NY, given that that product is not illegal in NY and its purchase is not illegal in the neighboring state.

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
I see your point. They don't care if it's all a huge clusterf&*%. In fact, they'd like it if that suppressed ammo sales in NY.

I predict a huge ammo sales boom for Pennsylvania and Vermont. And if NY wants to try to squelch that, it's going to raise some interesting Constitutional questions, like how a state can prevent one of its residents from (a) purchasing a product legally in a neighboring state and (b) bringing it back into NY, given that that product is not illegal in NY and its purchase is not illegal in the neighboring state.
They can try but buy in cash and do not retain your receipt. There is no way they can prove when you bought it. For now there is no law against buying in another state. Stay tuned for that next.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just ran into it myself.....good price..so having shipped to my daugher in S.C. and she smuggling "bringing" up when she comes up for family wedding end of Jan.

Just crazy......

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know I"m preaching to the choir here, but this law is monumentally stupid and will do nothing -- NOTHING -- to deter any kind of crime in any way. It's just performance art and culture war against gun owners.

Some sicko who wants to shoot up a school will still be able to walk into WalMart and buy his ammo. What he does he care if the purchase was recorded? Everybody will know everything about him soon enough. Most of these creeps have no record anyway. And career criminals will get the ammo the way they get their guns -- steal it or buy it illegally.

In the words of Theodore Roosevelt, "a most revolting state of affairs."

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
I know I"m preaching to the choir here, but this law is monumentally stupid and will do nothing -- NOTHING -- to deter any kind of crime in any way. It's just performance art and culture war against gun owners.

Some sicko who wants to shoot up a school will still be able to walk into WalMart and buy his ammo. What he does he care if the purchase was recorded? Everybody will know everything about him soon enough. Most of these creeps have no record anyway. And career criminals will get the ammo the way they get their guns -- steal it or buy it illegally.

In the words of Theodore Roosevelt, "a most revolting state of affairs."
But the queen said it will reduce gun deaths by 22% in NYS.

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
Just ran into it myself.....good price..so having shipped to my daugher in S.C. and she smuggling "bringing" up when she comes up for family wedding end of Jan.

Just crazy......
Good work around because you bought it and she is just delivering it. I see no legal issue here but do watch since I’m sure this forum is watched by Hochul’s grey suits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts