New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ballistic programs have become a great tool, running a program in a hand held for real time final firing solutions has taken over. These programs can take all the variables into account, but remember the old adage garbage in garbage out! If one wants to utilize these, make sure you understand all the details. Compared to a program that runs on a desktop to get a baseline external ballistic solution these handhelds take a solution to the next level and real time.

The upper end is run on a TDS Nomad handheld with built in GPS, the programs will take your firing position on the world ball from that, a tethered range finder will input direction and range to a target and store hundreds of targets in a library for instant recall, blue tooth kestrel wind meter atmospheric data into it also. For tactical usage on the battle field the days of drawing range cards are long gone, set up, paint landmarks within your operational area with the laser range finder index and store them for quick recall.

Real world solutions compared to calculated solutions are critical, by this I mean a program tells you 36 MOA elevation for 1000 yards, you have inputted ALL the atmospheric data correctly fire and find you really need 37.5 MOA. There are several ways to correct the program, change or cheat muzzle velocity, or the BC you originally input, until the program gives you 37.5 MOA. Another way is programs have a constant or what is called the DK factor you can change this number until you get the 37.5 MOA. Now the beauty is once this is tested at mid range (600 yards) and long range (1000 yards +), it slides all solutions from that point on into your real world numbers. Another factor is to test and calibrate your scope for true travel compared to theoretical travel this can also be factored into a program.

You can create profiles of different rifles, bullets and scopes store these and recall them anytime.

Setting up a program is probably one of the best learning tools out there for understanding ballistics, one can also change a variable and see the degree it changes the final solution. Run ambient temperature at 20 degrees and then at 120 see how much it affects the solution.
Check this link out download the manual if you want to study and get more info.
Field Firing Solutions | Real-time Ballistic Solutions and Related Software Tools for Extended Ranges
There are others but this is the one I use and like.

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Registered
399 Posts
wow, now I really feel like I don't have a clue lol. Draggin my ipod touch or laptop out with me lol. I guess if you want to get to a certain level there are certain things you need. Very cool info!

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
wow, now I really feel like I don't have a clue lol. Draggin my ipod touch or laptop out with me lol. I guess if you want to get to a certain level there are certain things you need. Very cool info!
I've been using one on my android phone. It's probably not as nice as the ones these guys are using (I say that because it was only $10) but for casual shooting it seems to work well. I have yet to try it past 400 yards though.

I posted about it here... http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/general-firearms/18414-ballistic-calculator-andoid-app.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.