New York Firearms Forum banner

Ballistic Fingerprint paper

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mhall10 
#1 ·
So I just finished my paper that is due tomorrow and I have no one that can review it for me lol
If you guys have some free time and want a quick paper to read could you give it a look over and see if there are any issues I missed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8idgq6t77er39m/Database.docx

#2 ·
Cheaper firearms and made with different materials than more expensive firearms.
I think you mean "are made with different materials"
One of the biggest contributor to barrel damage and wear is corrosive, or military surplus ammo
contributors* and "or military surplus ammo."

Surplus ammo gives shooters a cheap alternative to commercial ammo, but one of the problems is primers used in surplus ammo
"is the primers"

Most surplus ammo uses Berdan primers, which when fired leave a residue of corrosive salts
leaves*

These salts, by their selves are harmless, but when they come intact with the moisture in the air
they form powerful acid (Blogger, 2010)
"by their selves" should be "by themselves", "but when them come into contact," and acids*

This acid could have very devastating effects to the inside of a firearms barrel
firearms*

#8 ·
Thanks I was able to open it.

There are several things that you can improve.

I will give you some hints and then you can do your additional research rather than me providing content.
Also I suggest avoid the wasting the taxpayer money from the get go (redundant). That should be the conclusion and
not the introduction.

I like to follow the following structure:
-Exposition of the problem (how to help resolve crime)
-Presentation of solution/s (summary)
-Presentation of in detail of the solutions including challenges and technical details. Here you can make references
to facts when testing and overcoming challenges.
-Conclusion. Here you can also resort to statistics and facts. And here might be the only place you need to insert
an opinion that is more a logical consequence of the challenges and the final results and conclusion.

Be pragmatic. Extract yourself from the opinion and emotion. Once the challenges and the facts are presented
it becomes obvious this is a waste of taxpayer dollars so one doesn't really need to reiterate on that fact otherwise
interfere with a more scientific and professional approach.

Facts that you need to review:

- Striations change with barrel wear but the bullet fingerprint follows similar patterns. The casing is used thinking
that this is less prone to change and that casings are many times found undamaged unlike bullets that many times
disintegrate or deform on impact but the barrel does leave identifiable striations on a bullet that a forensic expert
could potentially identify.

-Cost of firearm has nothing to do with the hardness of materials. For example Russian steel as those rifles and pistols
from russian plants has a high rockwell hardness nr. yet those AKs/pistols are made from stamping spartan procedures
and with zero cosmetic / ergonomic features. So cost of a firearm has nothing to do with hardness, barrel wear or actually
quality of function / operation.

-Berdan primers do not use corrosive salts or mercury anymore unless it is old surplus and those surplus of tokarev,
nagant, etc.. already dried up in the last decade. Ammunition one will see on modern pistols that is the weapon of choice
in violent crime will not be using surplus corrosive ammunition in most cases.

-Barrel wear and other parts that touch any components of the ammunition is a factor but the issue here is that the
trail of a bullet has more impact from bullet and jacket construction than the barrel itself. Manufacturing coatings,
jacket material and hardness, variation on dimensions and overall bearing surface has more to do with changes
in internal pressures and force to swag that bullet through the rifling than anything else.
Protrusion and extraction marks are also provided in casings where the barrel striation changes have zero impact.
This is not clear in your exposition.

What is more important is that the intended program is not working because firearms that are bought legally are hardly used
in any sort of crimes. The criminals have their own supply channels of either smuggled, stolen or highly modified
illegal firearms so any attempt to keep a forensic registry is not going to be very fruitful. The NRA has provided
several papers and stats on the subject.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

#9 ·
Thanks I was able to open it.

There are several things that you can improve.

I will give you some hints and then you can do your additional research rather than me providing content.
Also I suggest avoid the wasting the taxpayer money from the get go (redundant). That should be the conclusion and
not the introduction.

I like to follow the following structure:
-Exposition of the problem (how to help resolve crime)
-Presentation of solution/s (summary)
-Presentation of in detail of the solutions including challenges and technical details. Here you can make references
to facts when testing and overcoming challenges.
-Conclusion. Here you can also resort to statistics and facts. And here might be the only place you need to insert
an opinion that is more a logical consequence of the challenges and the final results and conclusion.

Be pragmatic. Extract yourself from the opinion and emotion. Once the challenges and the facts are presented
it becomes obvious this is a waste of taxpayer dollars so one doesn't really need to reiterate on that fact otherwise
interfere with a more scientific and professional approach.

Facts that you need to review:

- Striations change with barrel wear but the bullet fingerprint follows similar patterns. The casing is used thinking
that this is less prone to change and that casings are many times found undamaged unlike bullets that many times
disintegrate or deform on impact but the barrel does leave identifiable striations on a bullet that a forensic expert
could potentially identify.

-Cost of firearm has nothing to do with the hardness of materials. For example Russian steel as those rifles and pistols
from russian plants has a high rockwell hardness nr. yet those AKs/pistols are made from stamping spartan procedures
and with zero cosmetic / ergonomic features. So cost of a firearm has nothing to do with hardness, barrel wear or actually
quality of function / operation.

-Berdan primers do not use corrosive salts or mercury anymore unless it is old surplus and those surplus of tokarev,
nagant, etc.. already dried up in the last decade. Ammunition one will see on modern pistols that is the weapon of choice
in violent crime will not be using surplus corrosive ammunition in most cases.

-Barrel wear and other parts that touch any components of the ammunition is a factor but the issue here is that the
trail of a bullet has more impact from bullet and jacket construction than the barrel itself. Manufacturing coatings,
jacket material and hardness, variation on dimensions and overall bearing surface has more to do with changes
in internal pressures and force to swag that bullet through the rifling than anything else.
Protrusion and extraction marks are also provided in casings where the barrel striation changes have zero impact.
This is not clear in your exposition.

What is more important is that the intended program is not working because firearms that are bought legally are hardly used
in any sort of crimes. The criminals have their own supply channels of either smuggled, stolen or highly modified
illegal firearms so any attempt to keep a forensic registry is not going to be very fruitful. The NRA has provided
several papers and stats on the subject.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
biggest thing is my paper has a 2 page limit, and I am already over the limit lol. The paper is due in parts. This part was a quick argument on why the database is useless. Your tips were great though thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.