1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Fienstien's been doing it for years

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Now they just need a way to suppress your natural need for breathing. Because even with an injection you need have the need to pull air into your lungs

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Seriously though it is a pretty amazing scientific story. If true, a lot can be done with this.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
That is badass! First thing I think about is underwater ops.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
That is badass! First thing I think about is underwater ops.
As soon as I got to the Seal part of the article that is what I was thinking.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
This will go as far as artificial blood has. Besides needing oxygen, you need to expel co2. You also need circulation. When you co2 goes high the ph in your blood goes low creating acidosis. you body cannot function long in an acute acidotic state, you will start to get organ failure in a very short time, your other electrolytes will get all wacked out and you will start having cardiac arrythmia's than die. You need respiration's to live, be it naturally or from a ventilator.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
This will go as far as artificial blood has. Besides needing oxygen, you need to expel co2. You also need circulation. When you co2 goes high the ph in your blood goes low creating acidosis. you body cannot function long in an acute acidotic state, you will start to get organ failure in a very short time, your other electrolytes will get all wacked out and you will start having cardiac arrythmia's than die. You need respiration's to live, be it naturally or from a ventilator.
But is the 20 minutes realistic? You can do a lot more in 20 minutes than you can in 3-5, the typical max breath holding length.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
But is the 20 minutes realistic? You can do a lot more in 20 minutes than you can in 3-5, the typical max breath holding length.
20 with oxygen with out expeling co2 woldn't be much different than no 02. If might help in the field, but not in a hospital. As I stated, I dont' see this going anywhere. And btw, that article is a year old

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Politicians have been living with their heads up their asses for years, anaerobic respiration is nothing new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts