Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Very, but at least he has his gun back.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I do not think this guy was a criminal or was afraid of a felony firearms charge, I think we are hearing one side of this story, could very have been that this guy was a loud mouth about having a gun in his car and he didn't keep it locked up good, the guy who "stole" the firearm was showing him how easily a criminal could get to it, if I was the guy who had it happen I probably wouldn't have called the cops to be honest, I would have taken this guys lesson very seriously, it was obvious he meant no harm, and stealing the bullets was only to keep the gun "safe" as it lay on his front porch in case the early morning newspaper boy stopped by and stumbled upon it first, and lets be honest the guy made it safer by unloading in then the guy who kept it loaded in his unlocked car.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
It is very ridiculous that they want to press charges against the guy who took and returned the gun. The gun owner needs to be facing some charges for such unsafe behavior. I hope his judge yanks his permit for 6 months, there are far too many kids finding guns and getting hurt or killed because of irresponsible gun owners.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
This "Yank his permit" crap is downright LAUGHABLE! How about a REAL scare: In free states, there ARE NO PERMITS. Why gives YOU the right to tell someone they can or can't have a pistol because you don't like what they did!?

I left my wallet in the car. A criminal stole it. They could have funded terrorism! I say yank my working privilege for 2 years! I can't be trusted with money!

He made a mistake, but that "yank his permit" stuff is downright disgusting.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
This "Yank his permit" crap is downright LAUGHABLE! How about a REAL scare: In free states, there ARE NO PERMITS. Why gives YOU the right to tell someone they can or can't have a pistol because you don't like what they did!?

I left my wallet in the car. A criminal stole it. They could have funded terrorism! I say yank my working privilege for 2 years! I can't be trusted with money!

He made a mistake, but that "yank his permit" stuff is downright disgusting.
I don't agree with the "yank jis permit" talk cuz stuff like that is what made this state such a ****ty one to own handguns in to begin with, however I do agree he needed to be taught a lesson, if a criminal finds your wallet that's your fault but the money in it can't directly cause anyone harm, funding terrorism (if they aren't funding a drug habit) isn't a very common threat. Your wallet cannot accidentally blow off a curious child's head or immediately be used in a violent crime. You gotta admit, his move was a stupid one, had the criminal been desperate enough he could have first looked in the car, found the gun and then preformed an armed home invasion using the gun owners own weapon.

All I say is hats off to the responsible gun owner teaching this guy a simple yet effective lesson, if the police ever do find him I hope they understand his point and don't charge him with anything, in fact he should get a "common sense" award since there seems to be a very big lack of it lately.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I don't agree with the "yank jis permit" talk cuz stuff like that is what made this state such a ****ty one to own handguns in to begin with, however I do agree he needed to be taught a lesson, if a criminal finds your wallet that's your fault but the money in it can't directly cause anyone harm, funding terrorism (if they aren't funding a drug habit) isn't a very common threat. Your wallet cannot accidentally blow off a curious child's head or immediately be used in a violent crime. You gotta admit, his move was a stupid one, had the criminal been desperate enough he could have first looked in the car, found the gun and then preformed an armed home invasion using the gun owners own weapon.

All I say is hats off to the responsible gun owner teaching this guy a simple yet effective lesson, if the police ever do find him I hope they understand his point and don't charge him with anything, in fact he should get a "common sense" award since there seems to be a very big lack of it lately.
As I said, he made a mistake. How that equates to tearing up the 2A even more is beyond me.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As long as everyone else says it is ok. And as long as the judge says it is OK. And as long as you never ever make any mistakes. And as long as you have a piece of paper in your wallet saying it is OK. GTFO!

With people taking the "I'd take his permit!" stance, that is EXACTLY the mindset this state wants. People thinking it is the "norm" to tell other citizens what they can and cannot do because that is just "common sense" right? Just brushing over the constitution because, I mean, it's for the kids right?

It is NOTHING but another case of "Bad guy does something WRONG? (Assuming this WAS a BG, I know it wasn't technically). Better get on blaming the good guys!" When in reality you should be able to leave your loaded gun in plain view on your dashboard. Why? Because the ONLY problem occurs when we have a BAD GUY doing something wrong.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
DG I actually admire your conviction to the principles of liberty and a free society. In a perfect world we should be allowed to leave our gun on our dashboard for only a bad guy would ever contemplate taking it. Great theory. Unfortunately its not reality. Guns in the hands of the wrong people have the potential to cause immediate and irreversible harm that affect the lives of many (think the mother and father, friends and relatives of someone who was killed or injured at the hands of a bad guy who happened to use a stolen gun. As gun owners we have a responsibility to do whatever it takes to keep our guns out of the hands of those who would do us harm. I don't want my gun ever being used in a crime and I take reasonable precautions to minimize the likelihood of them ever winding up in the wrong hands. So, while I admire your spirit, I think you're dead wrong in your belief that this owner should not be held accountable for his actions (or lack thereof). Just my opinion. Take it for whatever its worth, as you might suspect I don't feel like debating it til the cows come home :)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
DG I actually admire your conviction to the principles of liberty and a free society. In a perfect world we should be allowed to leave our gun on our dashboard for only a bad guy would ever contemplate taking it. Great theory. Unfortunately its not reality. Guns in the hands of the wrong people have the potential to cause immediate and irreversible harm that affect the lives of many (think the mother and father, friends and relatives of someone who was killed or injured at the hands of a bad guy who happened to use a stolen gun. As gun owners we have a responsibility to do whatever it takes to keep our guns out of the hands of those who would do us harm. I don't want my gun ever being used in a crime and I take reasonable precautions to minimize the likelihood of them ever winding up in the wrong hands. So, while I admire your spirit, I think you're dead wrong in your belief that this owner should not be held accountable for his actions (or lack thereof). Just my opinion. Take it for whatever its worth, as you might suspect I don't feel like debating it til the cows come home :)
I have no problem with being a responsible gun owner. I have a problem with people supporting a trumped up "permit" system to the point that THEY actually think it is a GOOD system that should decide who gets a gun in this country. Saying "the judge should yank his permit" is the same as saying "I feel I should be telling people who can and can't have guns". You know, the exact system the antis use?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
As I said, he made a mistake. How that equates to tearing up the 2A even more is beyond me.

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As long as everyone else says it is ok. And as long as the judge says it is OK. And as long as you never ever make any mistakes. And as long as you have a piece of paper in your wallet saying it is OK. GTFO!

With people taking the "I'd take his permit!" stance, that is EXACTLY the mindset this state wants. People thinking it is the "norm" to tell other citizens what they can and cannot do because that is just "common sense" right? Just brushing over the constitution because, I mean, it's for the kids right?

It is NOTHING but another case of "Bad guy does something WRONG? (Assuming this WAS a BG, I know it wasn't technically). Better get on blaming the good guys!" When in reality you should be able to leave your loaded gun in plain view on your dashboard. Why? Because the ONLY problem occurs when we have a BAD GUY doing something wrong.
As I said I do not agree with the "Take the permit" stuff, however everything we do that can take a life we have a reasonable expectation NOT to make mistakes, at least not ones that could cause a death. Too many car accidents? Good luck getting a license, a car is dangerous, they have a reasonable belief that the owner should be careful with it.

There is a difference between a TRUE accident and lack of precaution, leaving your car open with a loaded gun in it is a bad idea and not an accident, it is lack of precaution, and you are right, ONLY bad people will think of misusing or stealing the gun, however it is ONLY bad people that we are worrying about right now, no one here is saying a random normal citizen is going to grab the gun and go bonkers with it. Bad guys aren't going anywhere, if they didn't exist we wouldn't have locks, armor or weapons to begin with.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I have no problem with being a responsible gun owner. I have a problem with people supporting a trumped up "permit" system to the point that THEY actually think it is a GOOD system that should decide who gets a gun in this country. Saying "the judge should yank his permit" is the same as saying "I feel I should be telling people who can and can't have guns". You know, the exact system the antis use?
Hey man I agree with you there we are on the same side in that one, I was talking about a totally different point lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm sorry and I know I'll catch flack but in FREE STATES leaving a gun in a car is somewhat normal. Maybe we could argue whether the car should be locked or not but who has the right to enter your private property without your permission?
The guy obviously made a mistake by not locking the car but no one has the right to violate his privacy even to prove a point.
Doubt me? Go right across the border into Vermont and its another world regarding guns. Better yet go to states like Tennessee, Arizona etc and you might even see a Grandma shopping with a open carry 38 on her hip in a supermarket.
Face it, we are whipped in our views regarding firearms due to being stuck in a anti-gun atmosphere.
Hell, when I tell people I keep a loaded gun in my house I get viewed as reckless. I sleep just fine.
personally if this person had a issue with this guys guns then they should have spoken to him. Violating the law and taking his property is not the way to prove a point.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I'm sorry and I know I'll catch flack but in FREE STATES leaving a gun in a car is somewhat normal. Maybe we could argue whether the car should be locked or not but who has the right to enter your private property without your permission?
The guy obviously made a mistake by not locking the car but no one has the right to violate his privacy even to prove a point.
Doubt me? Go right across the border into Vermont and its another world regarding guns. Better yet go to states like Tennessee, Arizona etc and you might even see a Grandma shopping with a open carry 38 on her hip in a supermarket.
Face it, we are whipped in our views regarding firearms due to being stuck in a anti-gun atmosphere.
Hell, when I tell people I keep a loaded gun in my house I get viewed as reckless. I sleep just fine.
personally if this person had a issue with this guys guns then they should have spoken to him. Violating the law and taking his property is not the way to prove a point.
He potentially saved the guy from being accused of murder (should some steal and use his gun for something very bad), prevented a curious child from hurting him/herself or someone else and reminded him in a very jarring way that it was all too easy to get a hold of and that he should keep better track of it, he also saved him maybe a few hundred dollars at the cost of 1 magazine full of bullets, I don't see this as much of a violation.

If some guy walked beside your for a minute and then turned to you and said "You really shouldn't keep your wallet in your jackets outside pocket." as he hands your wallet back to you, are you gonna flip out on him? He just saved you from maybe being pick pocketed, most of us wouldn't take the message in a very comfortable manner but could we argue with his logic? And I don't think this guy was randomly snooping, for this to happen as I said I'm betting the gun owner may have been very vocal about his firearm and never locked up his car, I know alot of people who never lock their car.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
He potentially saved the guy from being accused of murder (should some steal and use his gun for something very bad), prevented a curious child from hurting him/herself or someone else and reminded him in a very jarring way that it was all too easy to get a hold of and that he should keep better track of it, he also saved him maybe a few hundred dollars at the cost of 1 magazine full of bullets, I don't see this as much of a violation.
He stole from me vehicle.

Have yo ever seen bait car? They STEAL cars and then say "I was just moving it off the street!" He MAY have prevented murder, or he may not have. He may have made a problem out of nothing at all. I don't go into Wal*Mart and steal an iPad to show how bad their system is. And in this state not only do people see this as a OK, they see it as a GOOD thing! Do you think if I went to a free state, broke into someone's car and stole their stuff I'd be getting a commendation because, hey, a bad guy might have done that!?

It's like saying XXXXX people die in gun murders a year, so not selling guns to law-abiding citizens MIGHT prevent a murder. It sure might. At also might cause problems.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
He stole from me vehicle.

Have yo ever seen bait car? They STEAL cars and then say "I was just moving it off the street!" He MAY have prevented murder, or he may not have. He may have made a problem out of nothing at all. I don't go into Wal*Mart and steal an iPad to show how bad their system is. And in this state not only do people see this as a OK, they see it as a GOOD thing! Do you think if I went to a free state, broke into someone's car and stole their stuff I'd be getting a commendation because, hey, a bad guy might have done that!?

It's like saying XXXXX people die in gun murders a year, so not selling guns to law-abiding citizens MIGHT prevent a murder. It sure might. At also might cause problems.
Its true I see your point, and I said nothing about banning his right to own a gun I'm glad he does.

I have seen bait car, I like that show lol, but cars parked on the street unlocked can't kill anyone.

Also I'm not sure he even stole the gun, he put it in a plastic bag on his porch, he probably did the whole thing in his driveway with a sharpie and it never left the guys property, could have been a neighbor who witnessed him tossing his loaded pistol onto his front seat and leaving for hours at a time and getting annoyed with it, people don't like bad gun handling around them, I mean, if some guys at the range and in the booth next to u doing some seriously stupid stuff doesn't it make you uncomfortable? Maybe him leaving a loaded gun around in an easily accessible area made him uncomfortable because of the threat that someone could use it to put everyone (including this neighbor with the problem) at risk.

I can understand both sides, and no, stealing from walmart just to give it back and call them idiots is not a good idea but I don't think it was this extreme cuz as I said im willing to bet it never left his driveway.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Its true I see your point, and I said nothing about banning his right to own a gun I'm glad he does.

I have seen bait car, I like that show lol, but cars parked on the street unlocked can't kill anyone.
It's actually statistically more likely to.

Don't touch my stuff. That is the law we should live by. If I'm walking by my car and I see you reaching in for something I left in there, I am going to treat you as a threat. Focusing on potential crimes is thought police stuff I don't like.

"Yeah, I killed the guy that shortchanged me at the bank today, but just think, if he had went home that day he could have killed his wife! Give me a commendation!"

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
It's actually statistically more likely to.

Don't touch my stuff. That is the law we should live by. If I'm walking by my car and I see you reaching in for something I left in there, I am going to treat you as a threat. Focusing on potential crimes is thought police stuff I don't like.

"Yeah, I killed the guy that shortchanged me at the bank today, but just think, if he had went home that day he could have killed his wife! Give me a commendation!"
Your example is very extreme and the short-changing is not related in anyway to a guys murder potential, leaving a loaded weapon within easy access to other people you don't know is DIRECTLY related to leaving it unattended in an unlocked car.

In this case I view it as more like someone was backing up a car (in your direction) and not paying attention, so you kick their bumper to scare him into thinking he hit someone/something, did you touch his stuff? Yes. Is that gonna piss him off? Probably. Should he have been paying more attention when something potentially dangerous? YES.

I'm not trying to come off as the thought police, people lock their doors at night for a reason, we have police officers for a reason, there are bad people around, do not make it easy for them to use your gun against you or on someone else that is all.

All I'm saying is that - in my view, leaving a loaded gun in an unlocked unattended car is about the same as standing in a field and firing arrows straight into the air with your eyes closed, is anyone really going to feel bad when it comes back to hit you in the forehead? Except is this situation there are also innocent people walking through this field, and some guy took the liberty of hitting Mr. Arrow in the head with a rock before his first shot, to let him know what could happen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I see your view to a point but since when does anyone have the right to search your private property without your permission or knowledge? Whats next, a neighborhood posse that goes around searching everyones property. How about neighborhood pat downs? hey you can never be sure right?
Of course I'm being faceous and on the verge or sarcastic but thats my point, where does this end?

If some guy walked beside your for a minute and then turned to you and said "You really shouldn't keep your wallet in your jackets outside pocket." as he hands your wallet back to you, are you gonna flip out on him? He just saved you from maybe being pick pocketed, most of us wouldn't take the message in a very comfortable manner but could we argue with his logic? And I don't think this guy was randomly snooping, for this to happen as I said I'm betting the gun owner may have been very vocal about his firearm and never locked up his car, I know alot of people who never lock their car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts