New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went shooting today for one last time before i go back to college on Saturday. i had shoot about 50 rounds through my sr9c so far and then i pull the trigger on the next round. the striker stuck the round and nothing happened. i waited for several seconds knowing the round could go off at any time and nothing happened. after a good amount of time i decided it would be safe to rack the slide ejecting the bad round. the slide would not move so i gave it a tap on the bottom of the mag and tried to rack the slide again, normal procedure to fix a malfunction. the slide was still jammed and would not move. upon further inspection i noticed the trigger was still back and striker was still forwards and the slide was not fully forwards but rather a centimeter or so back and could not be pushed forwards or pulled back either. the gun was jammed and nothing was working to get it unjammed still with the round in the chamber which the firing pin had struck. a friend of mine with more gun experience and knowledge took a look at it and tried to fix it, nothing was working. he finally just pulled as hard as he could back on the slide and it finally opened. the primer pulled right out the back of the cartridge and was stuck to the firing pin but popped right off. the case with the bullet still in it was still in the chamber and would not come out. we used a flat head screw driver to basically pry to round out of the gun. i was shooting winchester white box 100 pack of 9mm. my guess is the round was bad but im stumped as to how the firing pin got stuck in the primer and jammed the gun holding both the striker forwards and the slide. they were stuck together good enough to rip the primer out of the case.

please anyones imput on what happened and how. also which you think was bad the gun or the ammo?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Could be either/or. Were you able to inspect for the firing pin impression on the casing? Seems that the round failed to fire even though the firing pin struck as it should have (this isn't anything unusual, some rounds will just fail to fire), which pushed the whole cartridge into the barrel, jamming up your SR9c. I shoot the Winchester white box stuff for target practice (G19) quite often since it's inexpensive yet reliable, and have yet to have a round fail to fire. I've probably shot 1000+ rds of the Winchester white box 9mm over the past year. That's not to say you didn't have a crap round or that Winchester hasn't had bad batches, so it could've been bad luck with defective ammo.

How particular are you with cleaning/maintenance? I give my pistols a thorough cleaning after every use. Some go the opposite route and rarely if ever clean out their firearms, or they'll over-oil something. There are a lot of variables that can cause a good firearm to malfunction, beyond just defective ammo. I think it was just a bad round and Mr. Murphy got the best of you on that one...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i was able to inspect the impression on the primer it appears that the firing pin made good contact so it was not a light strike, but there is also a mark around the impression made by the firing pin, i will try to take a picture of it. i also have shot nearly 700 rounds of WWB with no issues before until this round. and for cleaning i clean the gun after everytime i shoot. today was the first time though that i took the striker out and cleaned the striker along with its channel. i did this so that i could inspect the firing pin itself and i did not notice anything wrong. not sure what would have caused the firing pin and primer to basically fuse together enough to rip it out of the cartridge.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Did the firing pin pierce right through the cartridge? Interested in seeing a photo of that one...

Here's an article that touches on pierced primers and possible causes:

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/21625/problems-with-primers/

Interestingly the firearm can be the culprit (such as a firing pin spring that is too strong, or machining/manufacturing defects can be the root cause). Since you hadn't encountered the issue up until now, after firing a lot of rounds, I'm still leaning toward a bad round.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no it did not pierce through. it probably wont help much but here is a picture it is not the clearest or easiest to see but you can see the ring around the imprint. although it looks perfectly round here it actually is not, to me it looks like the metal melted and then harded again.
Untitled fg.jpg

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I'd play it safe, get the gun checked out. Contact Ruger - see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My wifes SR9c had the same problems, light primer strikes, failure to eject. We sent it back to Ruger. They replaced the striker assembly and the gun has been flawless since. Took about 2 weeks total. no charge. Great customer service, 5 star. Contact them and they will even send you a shipping label. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wifes SR9c had the same problems, light primer strikes, failure to eject. We sent it back to Ruger. They replaced the striker assembly and the gun has been flawless since. Took about 2 weeks total. no charge. Great customer service, 5 star. Contact them and they will even send you a shipping label. Good Luck
i dont believe it was light primer strikes becauses the striker made a good imprint and even with a light primer strike the striker should go back and not stay forwards like happened in my sitation. the striker was stuck forwards because it was stuck to the primer i believe.

Possibly related...

Winchester white box 9mm duds

Check your lot numbers ladies and gentlemen!
exactly the same thing that happened to me. gun went click, couldnt rack, finally ripped it open and primer came out of case, the case with the bullet was still stuck in the barrel and was pryed out just like this guy had to use pliers. im going to guess it is an ammo issue then and not my gun which is good to know. thanks for the link. guess i should check my lot number

1 - 9 of 9 Posts