New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So an odd string of logic just hit me: what about staying a bit chunky while maintaining your strength and a decent endurance? A little extra body fat means a little extra to burn in the first couple of weeks of a SHTF event. There are many people (read: Americans) who are overweight but are in still decent shape with regard to strength and endurance.

Discuss. Tell me why I'm wrong or that my thinking is moronic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Chunky ones usually run slower and taste better. ;)
Well running slower means nothing when your hunter is using a rifle. You can be Mr. Bolt and still take a bullet to the back of the head. I don't disagree with you though...about them being slower; no idea about taste.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't think it's a bad idea. It's nice to have some body fat if you come down with an illness, or if there is a general lack of food. I'd rather my body start auto-digesting excess fat rather than muscle.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Apart from SHTF scenarios, I have read it is better to be a little overweight but in good shape than to be thin, lean and completely out of shape.

It's thoughts like those that allow me to have just one more beer.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
If you watch Naked and Afraid the people with a little pudge on them look way better at the end then the skinny ones. If I was on that show and lasted the 21 days with no food I would still be overweight lol!

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Extremely low body fat means you will cannibalize your muscle mass first, which means you will get weaker, faster. I'm not saying you should be a fat ass.. but a little mass that is not muscle would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
So if the SHTF all you chunky guys be careful. If a group of friends invites you to join their survival group and tells you "don't worry about bringing anything" then you should definitely worry. You may be dinner 30 days down the road.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It does make sense that is for sure. Hell after about 2 months you would be skin and bones anyways so wouldnt matter to much how you started as long as you were in decent shape to begin with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe change your handle to eatstoomuch or drinkstoomuch. I sail on the same ship bro.
LOL! I wasn't saying let's all get fat. It was just a thought. I'm probably average after losing 25 pounds for my wedding next month. Another waste of money that could have bought me a place in Vermont to go to and spend the rest of my days as people eat each other when the nuke goes boom over NYC.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
The Brittish Army found out how costly requiring their guys to be lean and mean was when they fought in the Falklin islands. 10-15% body fat is fine anything less than ten you will start to have problems with heavy or intensive operations after a day or so without resupply, anything over 15% starts getting into the health problem areas. Although even 20% body fat will shed really quickly under intense operations.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is great justification....err.... I mean, "reasoning." Honey, I simply cannot lose much more weight, just in case, you know...?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Now there's a reason for more homemade bread and rolls ! Plus the more veggies you eat with homegrown meat can't be beat ! Now it's time for that afternoon beer and that homemade salami sandwich !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts