New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost done building out new AR based upon an AST lower. Going with 3X9 glass. What do you guys teccomend for back up iron sights. Have an A.R.M.S. Flip up rear on another gun and it seems to be good quaility and accurate. Front site needs to mount to floating rail on this build. I saw a picture in a mag with back up sights mounted off to the right of the main scope at a 45 degree angle so you could use them in a pinch by rotating the gun left. Looked cool but does anybody have any experience with this or know who makes the mounts? I believe the gun in the picture was a La Rue Tactical, but sights could have been from anyone.

Also looking for I bipod to attach to lower rail. Saw a couple of Harris that looked good. Any recommendations? Note the Harris' came in either 6-9" or 10-13". Which is better? Intended app at this point is target with possible hunting out to about 300 yrds or so.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
which glass you going with? I'm looking for about the same x. dual purpose for HD and maybe some hogs, certainly some paper.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I don't use backup sights on a scoped rifle. No room for them on top. The angled sights are more for a 3-gun rifle so you can shoot close targets with them. I would think differently if you had a 1-4x on it or something.

If you want the offset sights here are some in the FS section... http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/accessories-gear-sale/26866-brand-new-duech-defense-rts.html
Harris bipod all the way. Get the notched leg version for sure. The friction locks slip. I have both sizes. The 6-9" is good for shooting off a bench or prone on even ground. The 9-13 is great for shooting prone off uneven ground. For hunting I would go with the taller one.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
which glass you going with? I'm looking for about the same x. dual purpose for HD and maybe some hogs, certainly some paper.
I went with the Trijicon 3X9-40 on the advice of another member. Looks like a good scope for the money. Not alot of bells and whistles, but clear glass and a lit recital (fiber optic by day tritium by night, so no batteries).

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I don't use backup sights on a scoped rifle. No room for them on top. The angled sights are more for a 3-gun rifle so you can shoot close targets with them. I would think differently if you had a 1-4x on it or something.

If you want the offset sights here are some in the FS section... http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/accessories-gear-sale/26866-brand-new-duech-defense-rts.html
Harris bipod all the way. Get the notched leg version for sure. The friction locks slip. I have both sizes. The 6-9" is good for shooting off a bench or prone on even ground. The 9-13 is great for shooting prone off uneven ground. For hunting I would go with the taller one.
That gives me a great idea. That may be how I mount my sights after I install an optic, rather than having them co-aligned. Might be a fun project to make the offset mounts, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts