New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My name is Ray and I live in Erie County NY. Years ago I spent a lot of $$ and time shotgun hunting and shooting trap. Bought a bunch of guns, reloaded a ton of shells and then life got in the way and I stopped cold turkey... Well, I'm older now and thought that with the way this country is going it would be a good idea to find out what types of firearms might be recommended for home defense and a SHTF situation.
I found this site and am lurking about trying to inform myself so any and all comments and help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Welcome and lurk all you want I'd say that the remington 870 is a great shotgun for HD and a SHTF scenario as far as bolt rifles go I'd lean towards a rugergun site scout or a mossberg mvp, semi autos ruger mini 14 or a saiga are good options for SHTF scenarios I personally wouldn't use a rifle for HD.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Welcome ray. For HD i personally prefer a handgun and for a shtf situation a trusty rifle. I was never a big fan of shotguns but what does not work for me might work for you.

Btw Odd title.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome. Lawn darts for HD. They are so lethal that Uncle nanny Sam banned them. But if you have some pre-ban darts ... god help the intruder.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Cant beat the H & R Pardner Pump 18.5 for 130 $ new..tis the shotgun of armour car and LEOs most the time. it holds 5+1 (but a trick il tell ya..take off the retainer and just put back the cap and it holds 6+1, no need to buy any BS +1 extentender) Clone of Remi 870 but better made lol..synthetic strength instead of wobbly 870. Its intergangeable parts with 870 except the barrel..Yea peeps will cry bout China made.but peeps dont cry bout China SKS and others theyve been making quality fir may many moons..but its actually part China part USA out of NY.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Welcome from Niagara County!!
I prefer my trusty snubby in my nightstand!! That's just my opinion!!

FUAC!!!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Pump 12 gauge for home defense. Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are the kings of the category. A solid magazine fed,semi-auto, centerfire rifle for SHTF. Something like a mini-14, Saiga, or featureless AR.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Welcome!

If you do not have your NYS Pistol Permit,I'd get that app filled out and in to get processed. 12 gauge is way to go.... If looking for a semi 12gauge, I know a guy selling one lol

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Thank you all! I'm thinking about a mini 14. Can we get them in NY?
Mini 14 is legal in NY as long as there is no muzzle device (technically a muzzle brake is legal...for now). The Ranch model has a target crowned barrel.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
No, I don't. I know that a lot of folks believe that It's the way to go but I'm really just looking for home security without the permit hassle...
it's not a hassle to keep and bear arms, and to freely choose to. or to past time away at a range pickin away at some paper..8 months of waiting for a lifetime.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
No, I don't. I know that a lot of folks believe that It's the way to go but I'm really just looking for home security without the permit hassle...
Get yourself a good 12 ga and a course or two on how to use it. Remington and Mossberg are the 'ol standbys. I love my Benelli. Can't go wrong with any of these as well as a number of others. Welcome to the site.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Pump 12 Guage. For a variety of reasons I'd recommend the Mossberg 500 over the 870 currently, but you should be OK with both. That loaded with 00 buck. Learn how to use and and most importantly BE READY to use it (the "I'll scare him off with the sound of the slide racking" nonsense is fiction) and you really can't beat that setup for HD. Pistols are great for CCW and getting to your main HD gun, but all around for just HD, it's hard to beat a 12 Ga.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts