New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all..

NY State requires a FBI background check. Which i do not have a problem with. My question is this, I am active duty military. To join any part of the US Armed Forces, you need to have a background check conducted by the FBI. With that being said, since i am active duty military and have gone threw all this why do i still have to pay for a background check threw Jefferson county for the live scan process even though i have gone threw. They have my finger prints, and everything already stored in a database some where.

am i missing something here?

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
It is basically a way for the state to make more money. I got finger printed for military, then for NYS guard license and then again for my pistol permit. Also its just easier to do your prints again for them since the process for everyone will be the same.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My mom worked for the post office on several different occasions (they did some seasonal thing around christmas time) and she had to get printed each time.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It is basically a way for the state to make more money. I got finger printed for military, then for NYS guard license and then again for my pistol permit. Also its just easier to do your prints again for them since the process for everyone will be the same.
Agreed!! I was printed for my pistol permit and in the same week I was printed for a non-leo position within a police department. Had to pay for both sets... Just good ol' NY making their money. I also believe of the fee NY charges, only $18 of it is for the FBI check.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
NYS doesn't care if you got fingerprinted 2 hours ago. If you want a permit you need to get printed again. I know, much like the others here I was fingerprinted shortly before me going for my permit and still needed it. It's just a big money thing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It goes to show the government state or fed are wasteful beyond belief!

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
It goes to show the government state or fed are wasteful beyond belief!
They never waste an opportunity to make more money

·
Registered
810 Posts
When I went to work for the NYS Mental Health Dept they had me go through a background and fingerprint check, then after being with them for a few years I decide to go with the NYS dept of Corrections and guess what, I had to go through a 2nd fingerprint and background check. Must be my being a state employee already didn't matter. They never gave my military background check any consideration either. Money hungry wh**es that is all NYS is!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts