New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was browsing some rifles earlier when a thought came to mind.
According to NYS AWB, the semi-auto rifle MUST have a detachable magazine and then two evil features.

If someone put a bullet button-type device into say, an AR, would that then exempt them from the AWB.
I know in CA that is what they do so they can have pistol grips on their ARs, but I wasn't too sure how it'd translate to here.

In my interpretation of the law, it'd make the rifle require a tool to remove the magazine which in my opinion means it's a fixed magazine.

Any thoughts? Apologies if this has been covered before, I didn't use the search function (I know, and I'm a mod lol).

Just something to ponder. I'd never use a fixed magazine since all my stocks/brakes/etc are pinned, but it's just a thought.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Isn't NY Approved
magazine needs to be perm fixed...like welding an AK mag into the mag well
ive picked the brain of Sgt Sherman and the NYSP attorneys

Few years ago I thought of making an AK pistol. It'd be Ny legal if I perm fixed a mag in it...

· Registered
2,099 Posts
BB is a No Go here.

Bass pro got in deep crap recently with the ATF for selling CA M&P 15's here in NY.

The real question is why would you want an AR with a fixed mag? :)

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I'd rather have both, but given one I'd take a detachable mag over evil features any day.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts

· Registered
9,139 Posts
Is that true for NYS?

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/la...te-assault-weapon-ban-faq-part-4-pistols.html

We don't follow the federal AWB here, and that link does not mention a detachable magazine...
3. Has two or more of the following:

• A magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip
  • A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer
  • A barrel shroud
  • A weight of more than 50 ounces

"attaches" should like it covers detachable and permanently attached

· Registered
1,384 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
It that is true the FAQ should be updated for just such a situation. xD

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
NY law mirrors federal with a few minor differences.

A permenantly attached mag is like an integral mag.

Im just sharing my experience in dealing with the state. Technically on paper it follows the letter of the law. However they did mention even following the law you can get in trouble as it may go against the "spirit" of the law.

Its a grey area. YMMV as always

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I have to agree that a bullet button is not permanent because it can be removed by a tool. Your trigger can be swapped out using tools so is it really permanent? However I could be persuaded if other older firearms with permanent magazines can be removed with tools that if considered to be detachable would be illegal under the law that are considered legal by NYS.

· Registered
9,139 Posts
cut and pasted from the actual law

(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded;

so, yeah. Detachable is the key. Fixed Magazine should kick you out of the assault weapon category.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
On the Wikipedia page, there is NO WAY IN HELL this stat is true:

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence examined the impact of the Assault Weapons Ban in its 2004 report, On Target: The Impact of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapon Act. Examining 1.4 million guns involved in crime, it determined that since the law was enacted, "assault weapons have made up only 1.61% of the guns ATF has traced to crime - a drop of 66% from the pre-ban rate."
I will raise my hand right now and tell you that is a blatant lie. Assault weapons made up 68% of crime in 1994!? LMFAO! But what did they do to get that number? I know this is off-topic, but I have been trying to figure out which numbers they spun for this one...

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I would have to guess that since it was 1994 they counted all weapons considered to be assault weapons when the ban was enacted counted towards the stats before it was enacted. So essentially what was not considered an assault weapon before the ban that was after the ban counts in the end of year total. But hey if you can't be right and honest why not bend the truth or lie to appear to be right.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out what they did, because it is so laughably wrong. We all know the weapon used to pick off stores/shoot rival gan mambers are by in large small, cheap, pistols.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
1.61% of the guns ATF has traced to crime -a drop of 66% from the pre-ban rate
Its a twist of the words to make it seem radically more effective than it actually was. Technically they aren't lying, but they aren't giving full disclosure either.

Here is the non~propaganda way to say it that removes the underhandedness.

assault weapons had made up only 2.44% of the 1.4m guns ATF had traced to crime prior to the ban, and after enacting the AWB the traces resulted in 1.61% being scary guns, a drop of 66% from the pre-ban rate.
This is less than a one percent overall change between pre and post ban numbers making the AWB all but completely ineffective

In reality, it was just a .83% (thats point 83 %) reduction in traced scary guns

1.61 is 66% of 2.44
1.61 - 2.44 = .83

or, if you prefer
Preban 2.44% of the 1.4m checked were scary
Postban 1.61% of the 1.4m(?) checked were scary

The inaccuracies continue to propegate because parrots can't do math, they just endlessly repeat what they are told.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.