New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little late on this one, but if you plan to hunt in PA and take your deer back to NY to get it butchered or taken to a taxidermist, you CANNOT. If you also decide to butcher it yourself, I believe you must do it within the state of PA and then you can cross the border.

This year, there was a single case of chronic wasting disease found in single captive deer on a farm near Harrisburg. Due to this, NYDEC has essentially declared a quarantine method, the one mentioned above, to prevent it from spreading.

I know it seems kind of dumb because it was just a single case on a farm with a captive deer, but its the law and I don't want to see anyone get into trouble.

Article here:

New CWD regs hit business - Outdoor News - November 2012

Not only does this hurt the hunters, but it puts a grinding halt to a lot of business that NY taxidermists and butchers get this time of year from deer coming from PA.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
They should post that along the border so the deer know that they should not cross back and forth from one state into another.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yeah there were signs in front of many of the deer processors' properties (esp. in the Southern Tier Counties) stating that deer from PA cannot be processed. Perfectly fine to bring the processed meat over to NYS from PA, but not the carcass. It's been in the local news a few times as well, but you never know who really pays attention to any of it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah, the quarantine might hurt hunting a little, but it's nearly impossible to guarantee that the captive deer hadn't transmitted CWD to any local deer (or gotten it from one), and imagine the hurt put on deer hunting if it shows up in NY again. I'm happy in this case being safer and not sorry.

·
Registered
567 Posts
You do NOT want CWD in NY, trust me. A small inconveinence today to prevent big problems later is worth it IMHO. If you take your hunting seriously either butcher it yourself, it's not hard, or utilize a PA processor and support their economy. Not a bad thing since you are hunting down there anyways and probably like the local amenities, maybe?

CWD does not exist in the wild in NY, if we acquire it, it WILL come from man's movement of wild or domestic deer or deer parts. A White Tail in Harrisburg is not going to trapse into NY....

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
This is news to me as I hunt PA,so I just called my local processor and taxidermist right on the border of PA but in NY state.Here is the scoop!!you can bring your deer into NY as long as there is no Back bone or Skull.He is the biggest (and best IMO) processor and Taxidermist in this area,so here is what he is doing.He has a place in PA where you can drop your deer off so he will De-Bone it there for you and take care of the rest after that.Really a law that is basically unenforceable because who knows about it,what jury would convict on such a law no-one knows about?Thinking your all legal having a great day taking your successful kill home and get stopped and deer confiscated and fined,I dont think so!Would fight tooth and nail to avenge that kind of treatment....

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I don't think the deer would necessarily be confiscated. I'd presume you'd have the option of driving it back to PA, a refusal would mean confiscation and/or fines, etc. if applicable.

Here's a chart of CWD from Wikipedia, current as of Sept. 2012 (ironically there was a case identified in mid-State NYS)...

File:Chronic Wasting Disease Map September 2012 in North America.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see that CWD is fairly sparse and mainly concentrated in the Mid-West US. Fortunately transmission appears to be very direct, from animal to animal. It's not known to be air or water borne. If you shot a deer with CWD (it would appear mangy and emaciated), I don't think you'd want that meat anyway.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't think the deer would necessarily be confiscated. I'd presume you'd have the option of driving it back to PA, a refusal would mean confiscation and/or fines, etc. if applicable.

Here's a chart of CWD from Wikipedia, current as of Sept. 2012 (ironically there was a case identified in mid-State NYS)...

File:Chronic Wasting Disease Map September 2012 in North America.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can see that CWD is fairly sparse and mainly concentrated in the Mid-West US. Fortunately transmission appears to be very direct, from animal to animal. It's not known to be air or water borne. If you shot a deer with CWD (it would appear mangy and emaciated), I don't think you'd want that meat anyway.
The deer does not have to be sick in appearance to have the disease, in other words it is not always obvious that a deer is infected. The scary part is that the CWD prion can lie dormant in/on the soil for literally decades before infecting an animal.

Personally I can live with the restrictions if it helps control the spread of CWD. These rules may seem silly to the uninformed, but imagine the outrage of sportsman if/when we get this spread throughout our deer herds??

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The deer does not have to be sick in appearance to have the disease, in other words it is not always obvious that a deer is infected. The scary part is that the CWD prion can lie dormant in/on the soil for literally decades before infecting an animal.

Personally I can live with the restrictions if it helps control the spread of CWD. These rules may seem silly to the uninformed, but imagine the outrage of sportsman if/when we get this spread throughout our deer herds??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recieve Pennsylvania Game News, there was an article in either November or Decembers issue about CWD. I'll look again and post what it has about transporting deer.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The butcher I took my NY deer to this year also had a sign saying they couldn't take PA deer. Hopefully it's "gone" soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.