New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea and I need admins/mods approval. With all the recent law changes and what has been going on in this country, I thought it would be best if we add a section "Ask a LEO". Instead of asking certain LEO questions in threads and getting into heated debates and changing topic, why not help alleviate the problem allowing the LEO's here to answer questions only LEO's would know about? Cop bashing threads happen and also, sometimes it is not cop bashing but instead a lack of communication between the two, cops and citizens. I think it would help. What do you think?

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are going to be no more cops who visit this website anymore to even ask if things don't change.
Well if you do not try to help fix the problem of course they are going to go away. Locking threads does not always work because the problem is still there. I offer a viable solution to help and it seems you are already knocking it down. That is the impression I get but I could be wrong. I already asked one officer on here about it and he thought it was a good idea. Maybe others would chime in and let us know.

James

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I think it would work just fine IF .... we don't see the ole' "I dislike cops because ...." stuff!!! Ask your question, get your answer and move on or ask another but not one that is trying to contradict the LEO's answer because you don't like the answer to your original question. It might work if everyone would be civil.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
The problem I see is with all the confusion going on right now, some people might take that word as law. Now we should know that nothing on the forums are legal advice, but people often are lead to believe if a cop, or FFL, or state worker, etc. says something that it must be true and we can end up with even more FUD that way.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
The problem I see is with all the confusion going on right now, some people might take that word as law. Now we should know that nothing on the forums are legal advice, but people often are lead to believe if a cop, or FFL, or state worker, etc. says something that it must be true and we can end up with even more FUD that way.
Maybe it's not a good idea then .....

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I don't really see this ending well. It's a good idea in theory but there's a few members here that just, well.......

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really see this ending well. It's a good idea in theory but there's a few members here that just, well.......
Then that is where the mods step in. The way I look at it, it cannot be any worse than it already is now. Haters are going to hate whether it be the LEO section or the Firearms in the News section. Kind of like Gun Free Zones. You get the picture.

James

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
I don't know that any law enforcement would be able to answer any legal questions here. There's been no training in the new laws and they're "laws du jour." Meaning however they get interpreted that day, may be different tomorrow. Until there is actual case law it's really not possible to know the final interpretation.

I know it's frustrating. Several times a week somebody is posting here fishing for a loop hole or maneuver to obtain that black rifle you never got around to getting. To you guys, please have some patience.

It makes you angry to lose your freedom. That's what Cuomo has really done here. Removed a bit of our freedom for political reasons, to appear progressive, to try to increase approval and thus national wide votes, all to satisfy the wishes of a multi billionaire pulling the strings.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think a section could have its benefits. Asking an officer for legal advice isn't the best idea and I think Darth is right with what he said too. We aren't lawyers.

Many things can be gained though. For example, in the thread that was closed, I touched on how police uniforms have evolved. There are reasons that they have. Someone wants to know requirements for hiring in a certain place....maybe someone wants to know why troopers wear purple ties (yes there is an explanation).

I think if it's handled right it could bridge some gaps and maybe answer stuff people have questioned. Just my .015 cents. Inflation took the other .005.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Purple ties.....I know what they represent but I'll keep quiet.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I think a section could have its benefits. Asking an officer for legal advice isn't the best idea and I think Darth is right with what he said too. We aren't lawyers.

Many things can be gained though. For example, in the thread that was closed, I touched on how police uniforms have evolved. There are reasons that they have. Someone wants to know requirements for hiring in a certain place....maybe someone wants to know why troopers wear purple ties (yes there is an explanation).

I think if it's handled right it could bridge some gaps and maybe answer stuff people have questioned. Just my .015 cents. Inflation took the other .005.
I think an informational section would be great. People interested in the field, general questions on procedures (who has jurisdiction where, what is the typical process of an arrest, etc.) history, gear questions, etc.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I am a football coach and in some of our forums we have refs that come in and we ask questions. Now the refs can read from the rulebook and have a guide to answer the questions but they also give their .02 worth on different subjects.
I think having police officers giving us their thoughts on different problems would be a good thing.

I don't like or dislike police officers, I wish they would go back to being peace officers and I wish they would realize what impact they have handing out the kings tickets. The amount of money the state is charging for traffic offenses is criminal and I realize police officers don't make the fines or the rules but they do have all the power about giving the tickets out. I used to drive partime for auto parts company and in 3 years I got 1 ticket so I am not mad about getting tickets myself but I have seen what lengths some officers go to hide and give out tickets and I think that is going overboard.

JMHO

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think a forum like what was mentioned would be good just to get another perspective on a topic. It should not be construed as a place for legal advice but as a place to get an opinion from someone who may view the law differently. I have good feelings towards most LEO's. If I get stopped for some reason I treat the LEO courteously and with respect and I DO expect the same treatment in return. I think a few bad or less than professional LEO's have given the majority a bad rap. Like I told my children when they first started driving " If you don't want to get pulled over don't give LE a reason to pull you over ".

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I think it would work just fine IF .... we don't see the ole' "I dislike cops because ...." stuff!!! Ask your question, get your answer and move on or ask another but not one that is trying to contradict the LEO's answer because you don't like the answer to your original question. It might work if everyone would be civil.
LOL......Good luck with that......People would respect that about as much as asking and telling people 5 times "PLEASE no POLITICS".....These officers deserve some respect here for sure,as far as a section to ask them here......Nahhh......Send them a PM,and they will answer if they want to,or everyone knows a LEO.....Give them a call if you have something to ask....

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The problem I could see would be getting some advice from a friendly LEO only to have less friendly LEO handle the situation differently and the interested party saying " so and so told me to do this". I would hate to see any backlash towards one of our LEO's who was trying to help a fellow nyfirearms member. This would have to be done very carefully so to avoid any issue. And I agree we need to roll back the clock some and remember what happened in Jan was none of our LEO's doing, they were attacked as well as us.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.