Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATTENTION MONROE COUNTY GUN OWNERS

WE NEED YOU TO ATTEND THE MONROE COUNTY LEGISLATURE MONTHLY MEETING ON MAY 8 6PM AT THE MONROE COUNTY OFFICE BUILDING 39 W. MAIN ST. ROCHESTER.

Currently, Monroe County parks law bans all firearms in all county parks. We have been working on changing this law for a few years and had a deal worked out for the change to be voted on at the June legislature session. We are now getting information that some in the republican party are getting cold feet on making this change. They seem to think passing it at this time will hurt Maggie Brooks chances of defeating Louise Slaughter. They have used similar excuses for years.

I will be at the May 8 meeting to speak as will others but we need a large crowd of gun owners there for support. The legislative chambers will only seat 75 but an overflow crowd into the hallways and stairways would be desirable and add impact to any remarks by myself and others.

Please make an effort to be there.

Ken Mathison
Monroe County SCOPE

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
In and I will post this on the front page of the site for you when I get home from work.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Copied the text of this post to the front page of the site with a link back to this thread.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I should be there. 5Round and another guy are coming too.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
It's probably best to look nice for this type of thing. Khakis and a button down or something.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
i wont be looking nice, im coming right from work. i figure its better to be there in work attire then not be there at all

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Good luck Monroe county.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
We went to this tonight. I'm kind of disappointed that so many people on this site complain about laws (and specifically that one) and then nobody shows up when we have a chance for our voice to actually be heard.

2 people spoke in favor or repealing the law. The first speaker was a 30 year veteran of the Rochester Police Department. He kept it short and to the point. Basically that overturning the law would make citizens safer. The second speaker also made some good points like it was not just the playground that we're talking about but also the trails in the county.

After each speaker there was applause, more applause for that than any other speaker that stood up there.

The last speaker of the night was opposed to changing the law. From his introduction I gathered that he goes to these meetings often and that he had signed up to speak about something else but changed his topic after hearing the other speakers. He made no real points, your basic drivel that allowing guns in parks where you bring your children because of fear is ridiculous.

Attached are a couple of photos from the meeting. Sorry for the cell phone quality.

Head Coat Flag Suit Official Suit Event Chair Conference hall Crowd

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the report on last night's Legislature meeting. I had intended on being there to speak but spent the day in the emergency room with a severe kidney stone attack. The turnout was a bit disappointing but we have the opportunity to do it again next month on the 12th same time same place. They are supposed to bring the issue to the floor for a vote at this meeting.

Let's please make an effort to have a larger crowd there at the June meeting.

Ken Mathison
Monroe County SCOPE

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I will be at the June meeting too. Hopefully we get more people from this site attending.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.