New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost got robbed at knife point this past Wednesday during work. While sitting at a traffic light on the East side with my windows down, a guy approached the passenger side. He put is forearms on the door sill and had a knife in his hand. He told me to "shut it off". Took what seemed like minutes but was actually less than a second to hit the gas and get the hell out of there. It could have ended a lot differently if he approached on the drivers side.

Moral of the story??? Keep your windows up at shady intersections and always....always be aware of your surroundings. I'm glad it happened to me and not an unsuspecting woman with children or even an elderly person or couple. Stay safe out there!

I've had some shady incidents happen to me in the past, but this really rattled my cage. It also strongly renewed my interest in CC, but my county isn't that nice.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Glad you made it away safe, and thanks for sharing your story. People do need to know that things like this do happen all the time and every day. Situational awareness is everything.
I have personally had to deal with an attempted home invasion (Maybe I'll write about that one day in detail).
A very similar situation to yours though happened to a friend of mine some years back. In his case the assailant actually slashed his arm, most likely in an attempt to cut his leather watch band free.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Glad you're safe. Unfortunately the next person to pull up to the intersection may not have been so lucky.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
I know this is now an official site for law, nor is anyone a lawyer...

IF this scenario happened to you and you were carrying, would a draw and fire be considered self defense? Or, because the guy only had a knife and you could go (as the OP did) would it be homicide?

I'm assuming if it happened on the drivers side it would be more justifiable, but i'm just curious what other's thoughts are

To the OP - you'll hear guys say if they are within city limits (rochester) they are carrying. I've felt like that since the day I had my driver's license, but in respect to my windows being up, they are never down when i'm in any city or town w/ low speed limits.

I am glad you are ok and nothing happened to you!

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was able to report it. It took me a few minutes to get my bearings back. I called 911 and told them what happened. A police officer came over to my house a couple hours later to tell me that they hadn't seen him. They did see a guy that fit his description about 15 minutes before my incident that looked like he was on something. He said he would let me know if anything changed.

If I was armed, I would not have drawn on him. I had a chance to get out of there and I would do it the same way again.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Yes, glad you're ok and thanks for sharing. I would use this incident as one of your reasons when you apply for your permit. Get 'er done ;)

Also, hope it was reported and they get this guy before it happens to somebody else. Maybe you got lucky and ran over his foot (j/k).

· Registered
2,982 Posts
I tried to hold on to him, I run but I have never seen someone run away that fast. Maybe he thought I was going to offer him a job...If I had shot him he would have been eligible for welfare the rest of his life.

· Registered
725 Posts
On a side note windows up should mean all the way up. I've seen instances where the BG has the room to get his fingers in through the top of the window and a good pul will shatter the glass. The noise, broken pebble glass, and the sudden appearence of an attacker at your side can be more then enough to give them the advantage, even if you are armed.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
I do agree that windows up is the way to go but if BG wants it badly enough he could always just break the window with rock, brick, hammer etc or if he's a pro, an automatic center punch will shatter a car window in a heartbeat (I know this because I installed car stereos and alarms for about eight years and had to clean up hundreds of cars that had been broken into and had their stereos stolen, hence a new stereo and alarm ;) )

· Registered
1,764 Posts
On a side note windows up should mean all the way up. I've seen instances where the BG has the room to get his fingers in through the top of the window and a good pul will shatter the glass. The noise, broken pebble glass, and the sudden appearence of an attacker at your side can be more then enough to give them the advantage, even if you are armed.
I totally agree with gizmo. Years ago I watched a program on situational awareness and personal safety, the host mentioned that the BG only needs to get his fingertips in throught the top of the car window. The host also mentioned a situation where you are stopped and someone approaches to ask for directions. Most people are good about trying to help and would roll down their window. The BG's got you there. And another variant is to ask you to roll down your window because he can't hear your response to his question for directions.

· Registered
725 Posts
Just remember if you are approached on the street the best and safest answer is always NO. Once the BG engages you in conversation you will end up playing catch up. you will be off guard, and no longer in control. I grew up the scrawny kid in a diverse HS and had to travel through a war zone (east new york) to get there. You develop survival skills that stay with you for a long time, but they are a good friend when you need them.

· Registered
86 Posts
cgrutt when I read your post all I could think of was this news reporter,

News Reporter Blooper - YouTube

But on a serious note Im glad to hear you were able to think of hitting the gas as fast as possible to avoid any kind of harm. The fact that you said the police showed up a couple hours later just goes to show what kind of response they have, even if they went to look for the guy right away.

· I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
I hope the next guy puts a bullet in him.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
I am left handed, carry on the left side. This is why I have a knife on the right side between my console and seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.