New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nystateofpolitics.com/2014/08/state-dems-up-in-arms-over-astorinos-gun-comments/

State Dems Up In Arms Over Astorino's Gun Comments Over the weekend, Republican candidate for governor Rob Astorino appeared a firearms festival in Sullivan County and made supportive statements of the organizers' efforts to teach marksmanship and firearms training for kids.
Time Warner Cable News, which covered the event, has Astorino on tape saying, "Fishing and hunting has always been a part of our culture in America and very strongly here in New York. And because some bad people do some very bad things with guns doesn't mean we should change our whole society and way of life."
But for the state Democratic Committee, Astornio's appearance at the event was far more troubling, seizing on his support for gun-training programs in schools, especially when it comes to providing training to kids with discipline problems:
"When New Yorkers think about 'back to school' shopping, guns are not what come to mind. With these shocking comments, Republican Rob Astorino has proven once again that his ultraconservative views are dangerously out of step with mainstream New Yorkers. The people of this state have the right to know why a candidate for Governor thinks we need more guns in our schools," said NYSDC spokesperson Peter Kauffmann.
In context, Astorino is backing programs that teach kids how to handle guns safely. TWC News reporter Eva McKend - whose story the state committee linked to in its news release - found people at the event who emphasized proper training.
Nevertheless, Democrats feel they have a trump card of sorts with Astorino's anti-SAFE Act stance. In this heavily Democratic state, gun control legislation remains broadly popular, and the SAFE Act, controversial though it may be for gun owners and Second Amendment supporters, is one of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's signature legislative achievements in his first term.
Astorino faces a Catch-22 in that regard: He needs these conservative voters to support his candidacy for governor, but also needs to move a broader electorate that is not attuned to a firearms culture to back him over the better-funded, better-known Democratic incumbent.
Updated: Astorino campaign spokeswoman Jessica Proud responded.
"County Executive Astorino said he would support marksmanship programs in communities that want them," she said. "These programs have taught proper rifle safety to youngsters in rural communities for generations. Mr. Cuomo should lay off the hyperbole and stop attacking the sportsman culture."

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I love how the "gun safety" crowd recoils at the very idea of doing something to promote gun safety and prevent accidental shootings.

Every school should teach a kid what to do if they come across a gun, and that they are not toys and to respect them. Instead we treat guns like terrifying boogey men and cry when a kid's natural curiosity takes over and something tragic happens. Then the cycle repeats.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I love how the "gun safety" crowd recoils at the very idea of doing something to promote gun safety and prevent accidental shootings.

Every school should teach a kid what to do if they come across a gun, and that they are not toys and to respect them. Instead we treat guns like terrifying boogey men and cry when a kid's natural curiosity takes over and something tragic happens. Then the cycle repeats.
If we ignore them, they won't exist.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Typical politics. No matter what Rob says the Dems will twist it Into something appearing negative. Dirty tricks abound....it is New York.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think it's a great idea. When I was in high school we had an indoor rifle range (22 CB caps only) and an indoor archery range. That would be nice to see some of the older programs return.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Exactly, I remember learning in elementary school about the proper use of the 1st amendment. Why not the 2nd and the tools used to support it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
just donated 50.00 to his campaign.
hope he has a shot but NY would rather have criminals as long as they r anti-gun democrats

·
Registered
897 Posts
They taught me gun safety in school, (Susquehanna Valley High School), they taught my parents gun safety in school (North High School) Greene had a gun range in their basement that I competed in on Friday nights, and, they taught Gun safety. I'm beginning to believe (D) is the Communist Party

Marxism–Leninism; Through this policy, the communist party (or equivalent) is the supreme political institution of the state and primary force of societal organisation. Tell me this doesn't sound like the riff raff running NY now

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Anyone got contact info for Mr Kauffmann? I'd like to send him an email explaining just why his belief that Astorino won't get Dem votes is incorrect. And how I agree that firearm safety training should VERY DEFINITELY be in schools. Certainly as much as any Safe Sex (sex-Ed) classes or "sensitivity" training.

Unfortunately, my Google-foo must be broken, I could only find links to articles mentioning him, and a Linked-In and Twitter accounts. Neither of which I use.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Anyone got contact info for Mr Kauffmann? I'd like to send him an email explaining just why his belief that Astorino won't get Dem votes is incorrect. And how I agree that firearm safety training should VERY DEFINITELY be in schools. Certainly as much as any Safe Sex (sex-Ed) classes or "sensitivity" training.

Unfortunately, my Google-foo must be broken, I could only find links to articles mentioning him, and a Linked-In and Twitter accounts. Neither of which I use.
You can look him up at NYS democratic convention ! They have everybody,s name on there that has anything to do with the Dems !

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I support safe handling instructions but I grimmace when the battle,in this case, refers to hunting and not so much as our fundamental right to own guns.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Because it has nothing to do with gun safety, and everything to do with citizen disarmament and the planned end of this Republic. These people are Stalinists at worst, and "useful idiots" at best. The push is on, and it goes all the way up the ladder - McCarthy was right, only 50 years too early - there is pretty much a Commie under every bed, in most seats in Congress, and behind many of the desks of .GOV bureaucracy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Things have changed....Mamaroneck HS had a rifle team in the late 80's when my wife attended school there. Liberals have destroyed our once great state, there's little hope now.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It's real simple, I'm sure there are schools in the country that have these types of programs, Astorino just needs to contact them and get all the relative information that the Kool-aid drinkers can't dismiss, ie, no problems in 20+ years running such programs, etc., and relay that information. It "IS" all about culture and legal firearm owners are by far more educated on the facts (safe operation, laws, etc.) as opposed to the anti's who cringe at the thought of the mere presence of guns!

Just don't do it halfway!

Like Miyagi (Karate Kid) said...
You either DO Karate "YES", or you DO Karate "NO"...
But - you do Karate SO-SO...
Then SQUISH!!!

Don't gray the issue, keep it Black/White, clearly defined, don't stoop to their level with mushy messages... They are not "BAD" people, they are "CRIMINALS"! The people of New York need to stop associating GUNS with criminal behavior and accept the FACT that MILLIONS of LAW ABIDING citizens own, posses, shoot and hunt with guns LEGALLY and the act(s) of CRIMINALS shall not be utilized to inhibit those citizens from enjoying their GOD given RIGHTS!

A bad person is that annoying neighbor, or someone who sneezes without covering their nose/mouth, or kicks their dog...

Politicians like Astorino need to be clear and not tone down or PC their messages... Say what you are saying! "Bad people"... Geeeeze!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts