New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the assult rifle but I really want one for some time now. I am looking for .223 cal assult rifle have looked at a few the AR 15 and the Smith & Wes MP15, and SW MP15 Sport. I am just looking for a Assult rifle that is not too expensive just to shoot here and there. What models or brands do you reccomend? What is anyoen thoughts on the MP15 vs AR 15?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Assault rifles are illegal in New York. Aside from that, for an inexpensive semi to shoot targets with, Bushmaster AR is okay. They are about the cheapest you will find although a lot of people call them junk.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
just so you know, and I'm not trying to be an ass, but neither are 'assault rifles'

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Assault Rifles are illegal.
Sporting rifles are not.

Eta beat me to it.

·
1,647 Posts
haha, you beat me to it by seconds! :)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
bushmaster ar is okay. They are about the cheapest you will find although a lot of people call them junk, for no reason whasoever other than brand fanboyism
ftfy. :)

·
1,647 Posts
AND I answered the OPs question, double win.
yeah, i don't have any experience with 'em so didn't have much to add haha. well done :)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
MP15 is not bad but there are better options so why to pay more for less.
Remember the brand means nothing. Good internals is what it counts.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
MP15 is not bad but there are better options so why to pay more for less.
Remember the brand means nothing. Good internals is what it counts.

What makes the S&W internals bad? I thought they had quality parts in them.

James

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
What makes the S&W internals bad? I thought they had quality parts in them.

James
No they are not bad. sorry if that is the message that came across. They are ok. but what I mean M&P doesn't add anything to the AR. They do have a comprehensive check list as to mil spec but I do believe for that money one can have a bit more. Or have the same for less. Stag for example just like many others.
My point is, many parts between brands come from the same mils, if they are mil spec then it doesn't matter the brand so do not pay more for a top name brand. The one single most critical component is a good BCG. That is the heart of the inpigment system.

MPs are solid build though so if one likes the brand and doesn't mind paying a bit more then go for it.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I am new to the assult rifle but I really want one for some time now. I am looking for .223 cal assult rifle have looked at a few the AR 15 and the Smith & Wes MP15, and SW MP15 Sport. I am just looking for a Assult rifle that is not too expensive just to shoot here and there. What models or brands do you reccomend? What is anyoen thoughts on the MP15 vs AR 15?

Thanks
Just a heads up. The letters is "AR15" DO NOT mean "assault rifle", it is short for Armalite the company who first made the AR15 platform then the rights were sold to Colt which supplied our armed forces with.

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
No they are not bad. sorry if that is the message that came across. They are ok. but what I mean M&P doesn't add anything to the AR. They do have a comprehensive check list as to mil spec but I do believe for that money one can have a bit more. Or have the same for less. Stag for example just like many others.
My point is, many parts between brands come from the same mils, if they are mil spec then it doesn't matter the brand so do not pay more for a top name brand. The one single most critical component is a good BCG. That is the heart of the inpigment system.
Ok so what does the S&W have for parts? You can pick up an M&P for under $800 new so what gun can you buy that is cheaper with better internal components?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Ok so what does the S&W have for parts? You can pick up an M&P for under $800 new so what gun can you buy that is cheaper with better internal components?
I thought they were more like 900 to 1K. BCG is good. Things they do not have: No mil-spec barrel steel, MPI barrel, HPT, parkerized under FSB.
Do they come in 1:7 now? I know they were chrome.No H buffer and no lifetime warranty last time I checked. Maybe I have to check again.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I thought they were more like 900 to 1K. BCG is good. Things they do not have: No mil-spec barrel steel, MPI barrel, HPT, parkerized under FSB.
Do they come in 1:7 now? I know they were chrome.No H buffer and no lifetime warranty last time I checked. Maybe I have to check again.
You can get a flat top for the price I mentioned if you shop around. I'm not talking about the "sport" model Smith offers in their AR line. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "mil-spec" meant just the minimum specs/requirements allowed in order to pass their requirements. Yes they do make it in 1:7 and a lifetime warranty. Here is the one I have:
Product: Model M&P15ORC Rifle, Fixed Stock

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
To further along SRV1's thought process,
Fixed it forya:

Armalite Pattern Rifle Buy: AR15 vs MP15

I am new to the Armalite pattern direct impingment rifle platform but I really want one for some time now. I am looking for .223 cal version, but may consider 5.56 NATO or Wylde chanber types if one stands out as more advantagious.
I have looked at a few the AR 15 and the S&W MP15 and MP15 Sport.
I am just looking for a Armalite pattern rifle that is not too expensive just to shoot here and there.
What models or brands do you reccomend?
What is anyone thoughts on the MP15 vs AR 15?

Thanks

And as for an answer to some of the query:

Brands in no particular order stuff to seak would be Colt, Daniel Defence, Bravo Company, Novesky, Knight's Armament, Palmetto State Armory, Stag.

Ones to avoid would be Del~Ton, Model 1, Spikes Tactical, Bushmaster, DPMS, Windham and anything out of the 'Sportsmans Guide' catalog..

Selections are based purly on my druthers and not to be taken as gospel, nor worth trying to pick a fight over

Models...
Anything from SBR to 24" sniper rig.
We need to know what you specifically want to do with it, or at least a bit narrower range than 'I want one thats inexpensive to shoot'

DO note that cheap to shoot does not mean cheap to buy. It just means you can shoot inexpensive bullets and don't have so many problems with the rifle that its nickle and diming you to death.
You want REAL cheap to shoot and like the Armalite pattern, get a AR15 lower and a dedicated .22LR upper, or a S&W MP whatever it is thats strictly .22LR.
Thats as cheap as you're ever going to shoot

I've no thoughts on the MP's myself but I'm fairly certain there are folks here who can give you a metric **** ton of information.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "mil-spec" meant just the minimum specs/requirements allowed in order to pass their requirements
Not minimum requirements but acceptable ranges of requirements for every part of the firearm as bound by contracr.
Materials muxt be X with no more than Y% of Z, hardcoating must be so many 1/1000's thick and meet a Rockwell hardness level, etc., etc., etc.
Every piece, component and assembly has specifics that must be met or they are considered unacceptable and trashed
(or sold to places like DPMS)

Again, the TDP isn't 'just the minimum', it is literally the bluprint with all measurments, coatings, platings, materials, harnesses, HP/MPI specs and every other damn thing that can have even the remotest association with the finished rifle before it goes out the door.
Yes, that even includes things like specs for slings, cleaning patches and that plastic cap you put over the muzzle when going submerged along with who knows how much other stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I am lookin for the ar15 type sport rifle and have been looking at mp 15 so is that a nice gun what other types are there? I want .223 ammo

1 - 20 of 29 Posts