New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title states, any input on a crossbow?

Not sure if I will hunt with it.

Looking for something to play around with. Around the $600-700 range. Hell, if the Zombies do come, I may need a quieter tool of execution.

I was looking at the Barnett Ghost 360.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check out the reverse limb style, the balance point is more like a rifle. I have a Barnett vengeance not really that quiet, but extremely accurate out to 50+yds. Pay attention to the power stroke if u are shorter stature it will be harder to cock without a cranking device.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Wicked Ridge by TenPoint - bought it 2 years ago, shoots great. There was a rebate that brought it down to around $350. Came with scope and 3 bolts. Haven't tried going beyond 40 yards, but it's deadly at 20, 30, 40 yards.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Stay away from Barnett!!! The worst crossbows out at the moment. I work on those POS's everyday!! The reverse limb models are absolute garbage!! If anyone here owns one, I'm sorry but this is just how it is. We carry Barnett ... well .... we won't stock any but we are a dealer. If you want a crossbow that will be reliable as hell and one I'll never have to work on, then you'll buy a Parker!!! Trust me. I've seen nearly ALL of the manufacturers offerings and ... you may be alittle surprised that Bowtech is the parent company for MANY of them. Not Barnett though. LOL Bowtech was purchased by Savage Arms!! Built in the USA with pride!! Wanna be like that dude on Walking Dead???? He uses a Stryker 380!!! ;) Seriously, there are many decent crossbows out there BUT Barnett is not one of them!! Hell ... I just bought a set of HeadHunter bolts for my POS Barnett DOA (which I bought for $100 because it was screwed and I rebuilt it) and 3 of the 5 bolts had the inserts pull out of the shaft and they are now conveniently lodged in my target with the field tips attached after ONE shot!! Barnett flat out SUCKS!! PSE isn't much better and their customer service sucks horribly!! Parker's customer service is second to none in the business. You can choose to listen to me or you just let this pass but NEVER say I didn't warn you!! If you wanna see what Parker has to offer, here's the link ...

Parker Bows - Crossbows

Now ... there are places out there that are selling below MAP prices and I will also tell you that if you buy one off the internet, you will NOT have a warranty. Most crossbow companies will flat out refuse to offer one to you because it was not purchased from a certified shop near you. No exceptions so keep that in mind as well. If you buy one from Dick's, you will be screwed because they have no support there either. (not all, but most don't have the experienced bow technician on staff ... many will try .... I wind up fixing their "fixes".) If you have anymore questions, ask away. I'm not going to tell you what to buy but I will be brutally honest with you as I am with customers in the shop. I truly don't care. You asked ... I told you. The only other advice I would give you is to handle and shoot every single model you're interested in. There is a HUGE difference from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model. I see someone mentioned powerstroke and ones height relative to cocking. That's far from the truth. (unless you are legally a midget then it may be an issue but we can overcome that too!) Most people don't realize that the cocking rope can be shortened by simply tying a knot in it at the handle allowing one to merely stand straight up from the bent position when cocking any crossbow. I've seen people sell crossbows because they couldn't cock them .... it was because they never shortened the rope and had to use their arms more to cock it. The way around any issues with cocking would be a crank system installed on the crossbow. Done. No more issue.

So ... you are now alittle more informed and you have my input as someone that is in the pro shop more often than not. Oh ...one more thing ... Barnett is having issues with their lovely plastic trigger assemblies ... you won't see that on a Parker. The G2 trigger is used on the lower line as it is on the upper line x-bows. That's one area they refuse to touch for safety and reliability purposes. I would suggest looking at these companies:

Parker
Stryker
Ten Point
Excaliber

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Machine gun

There it is!! This was the typical Barnett we'd see come in. Bent axles, bent cams, string was off and a friggin mess!! Now ... the front end has been rebuilt, custom string made right there at the shop and it's up and running again. I wanna see how long it lasts before it starts giving out again!! LOL This one is very long, very heavy but fast as hell!! ( I may or may not have done alittle something something to it to improve it passed it's 380fps rating so this little "reliability test" may or may not be accurate!!) ;)

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
This is about as easy as it gets BUT this is NOT a lightweight crossbow. It's also abit pricey. It does indeed have it's following and it works great for those with disabilities as well as those that have back problems and can't cock a crossbow. Enjoy.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
OUCH, yeah I have a Barnett Ghost crossbow. I'm afraid to say I've never had a problem in 3 years, ( Murphy F-OFF )that being said, my son in law got the exact same bow and his string broke on his very first shot. Now both of these crossbows were bought on eBay as reconditioned. I called Barnett about the issue with my SIL and they were great. Even though the bow was not considered new and under warranty they replaced the string and tuned the bow for just the price of shipping. Both of these crossbows were bought for under $325.
Yep ... about right. One shot and POP!! Have you had your strings and cables replaced yet? If not, I would highly suggest you get them done ASAP. We have arrived at the conclusion that string/cable sets should be changed once a year IF you shoot it often. If not, well then maybe 2 years out. Barnett was trying like hell to be the fastest of the fastest with the Ghost 410 and such ... that's when the problems started to really come to light and haven't let up. That's great that they took care of your SIL but honestly, that's not the norm. Just do the upkeep on them and hopefully yours will be reliable for years to come.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Yep ... about right. One shot and POP!! Have you had your strings and cables replaced yet? If not, I would highly suggest you get them done ASAP. We have arrived at the conclusion that string/cable sets should be changed once a year IF you shoot it often. If not, well then maybe 2 years out. Barnett was trying like hell to be the fastest of the fastest with the Ghost 410 and such ... that's when the problems started to really come to light and haven't let up. That's great that they took care of your SIL but honestly, that's not the norm. Just do the upkeep on them and hopefully yours will be reliable for years to come.
I have a great idea, you come up for a hunt and bring your bow maintenance tools. LOL, Hell I'll even cover the name Barnett on my bow for you.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I have a great idea, you come up for a hunt and bring your bow maintenance tools. LOL, Hell I'll even cover the name Barnett on my bow for you.
You have a Barnett bow or crossbow??? LMAO .... and no, I'm not bringing the tools because it would be over 800lbs of presses, string jigs, string stretchers and other tools!! Hahahaha

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You have a Barnett bow or crossbow??? LMAO .... and no, I'm not bringing the tools because it would be over 800lbs of presses, string jigs, string stretchers and other tools!! Hahahaha
Barnett Crossbow, my regular bow is a Golden Eagle. I know it's old, but still shoots good. Ok you can skip the tools, the hunt offer is still good, even for a Barnett hater. LOL

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This is about as easy as it gets BUT this is NOT a lightweight crossbow. It's also abit pricey. It does indeed have it's following and it works great for those with disabilities as well as those that have back problems and can't cock a crossbow. Enjoy.

I have one of these and being in the wheelchair was able to bowhunt for the first time in 14 years. No problems yet and it is dead on up to 30yrds, have not attempted any longer shots. You have to get the CO2 cylinder filled which I had to search around for a place. They are a pricey crossbow, but was worth it getting back in the woods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.