New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The Senate still plans to vote on the ban, but only as an amendment to the larger gun bill. Feinstein also asked for a second vote on a measure that would just ban high capacity magazines for assault weapons; that's likely to garner more support.
I'm far from an expert on this, but doesn't the above mean that it can still happen, it is just being voted on separately?

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Yes that is exactly what it means...

Pretty much they're saying they don't have the votes for it to pass and it will sink any other bill its attached to.
Yes this is exactly right. They only separated it out from the main bill because it is radioactive and no one wants to touch it (thank goodness for us). It could still conceivably pass, but this move really means it is dead in the water.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes that is exactly what it means...

Pretty much they're saying they don't have the votes for it to pass and it will sink any other bill its attached to.
Can it go the other way? Meaning if they want the high capacity ban to pass then AWB passes?
Does anyone remember how the 1994 AWB passed? Was it attached to a much larger crime bill?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Based on everything I have read/seen the AWB/Mag limit didn't stand much of a chance since republicans run congress.

The background check might fly but all the last minute additions made it a lot worse and the NRA and others will fight to stop it.

A lot of people hate the NRA but if they're going to fight something head on democrats know it will cause them to lose elections. It would not be in democrats best interest to vote for gun control in areas where the margins were close because they will lose seats.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
"I very much regret it," Feinstein, D-Calif., told reporters of Reid's decision. "I tried my best."

I heard after she realized it was toast she called up Mitt Romney and they wept together over the phone.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.