New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Herkimer County and have been denied a pistol permit, even though I've had 50 years of safe and responsible rifle & shotgun ownership and use. Why? Not sure, because nobody has given a reason, despite the law. Anyway, my lawyer doesn't want to go up against the judge in the county where he works. Does anybody know of a gun-friendly lawyer in another county who will file an Article 78 action? Otherwise, I'll be blindly calling lawyers in Utica or Syracuse.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
When were you denied? What did the denial letter say? Do you have anything in your past you failed to list? Speeding tickets, or anything else that might make you look not responsible? Also how long did it take from when you turned in your permit to get denied?
have you tried talking to the judge about it yet before doing a article 78? If the judge didnt follow the law he has commited a misdemenor so you could also contact the D.A. about it and or the bar association.

Before you do anything though if you havent already talk to the judge and you should be able to work it out. If not then go the article 78 route.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Once denied you must wait one year to re-apply. In the letter the judge must of indicated that you were denied a pistol license due to "Good Moral Character" this is the part where you have to clear any misunderstandings. During the investigation something negative apparently caused you to be denied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts