New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the statute, and have read all the stickies, and I'm still confused.
265 definitions seem to preclude ownership of AR15 clones, yet they are widely sold in NYS.
What am I missing?

(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm; or (d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as: (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15;

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
The way I understand it is that the list of names are what are banned. For example I have a colt and the receiver is stamped Colt M-4. So since its not stamped colt AR-15 on the lower receiver it is ok because officially its known as an M-4.

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I understand what your saying.the part your quoting says known as. So it is listing the specific ones banned. If anything the confusing part should be the first part that simply says semiautomatic version of a automatic rifle.

While this doesnt speficially answer your question it is still a good. read. http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/6710-ny-assault-weapon-ban-legal-research.html

The state has allowed such weapons to be sold since 1994. But the thing is with NYS Penal law is that what makes it more confusing is that it is not to be interpreted strictly (doesnt necessarily mean exactly what it says). http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&[email protected]+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=37988003+&TARGET=VIEW

So would it be justice for the state to knowingly allow these rifles to be sold for over a decade until a lot of people had them and then arrest them for it? I dont think so and if I was on a jury I would use my option of jury nullification and vote not guilty.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
Your Ar15 is named something else because it was built with a muzzle brake and no bayo lub. Therefore it is not an exact copy of an AR15.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Your Ar15 is named something else because it was built with a muzzle brake and no bayo lub. Therefore it is not an exact copy of an AR15.
Can't be the case. People get originally NY-illegal firearms shipped here all the time and THEN made NY legal.

· Registered
273 Posts
Can't be the case. People get originally NY-illegal firearms shipped here all the time and THEN made NY legal.
The point is as long as it doesn't say "Colt AR15" verbatim on an AR, then it's fine. As for the copies part, the federal assault weapons ban said the same thing, however as already pointed out none of the semi automatic rifles in question are "exact" copies. This is one case where splitting hairs works in our favor.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
The point is as long as it doesn't say "Colt AR15" verbatim on an AR, then it's fine. As for the copies part, the federal assault weapons ban said the same thing, however as already pointed out none of the semi automatic rifles in question are "exact" copies. This is one case where splitting hairs works in our favor.
I know this. What I was saying is that the reason cannot be "because they were made without certain evil features", because, as I said, lots were and then had them neutered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.