1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't know...carrying is one thing, needing a bag to carry all of the ammunition and knives is another. I probably would have called the cops on him. Now, granted, if the gun was legal, there should be no arrest, and that should have been pretty easy to clear up on the spot. And its completely irrelevant what he had back at home. But if the guy had just carried his Glock, mags, and knives on his person, we wouldn't be hearing about this.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This is turning into the thought police. We THINK he may of wanted to commit a crime ...
Right, which is why I disagree with the arrest part. But taking the guy aside, asking him what hes doing, etc. There is still the standard of the "reasonable person", and four knives and a bag of ammo doesn't pass, for me.

I saw Dark Knight Rises. I had a 10+1 9mm, a 10 round spare magazine, and a Benchmade folder, same as everywhere I go. No one knew. The bag is what ruins this for me.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
What was he going to do with 4 knives? Hand them out to other people? Was he carrying illegally?" According to the article was attempting to use clips with a Glock. Everyone knows clips don't work with glocks. The guy has a screw lose. I found this to be funny:

"It was the bag that caught the eye of an eagle-eyed, off-duty police officer who was working security on Saturday night at a movie theater in Westlake, Ohio, the news site reported"

Don't have to be all that eagle eyed to notice a bag.

This line is kind of dumb:

"When you consider the movie he was going to and what happened in Colorado, you have to wonder what would make him want to bring the weapons into that particular film. Our police officer did a great job spotting him."

What happened is why he wanted weapons I would think!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I wonder what the other weapons charges were.....maybe the knives were autos or switchblades or something? Beyond the knives being illegal I don't forsee these charges sticking. Or maybe he didn't have a permit to carry in CO? If he had a permit and the knives are legal then shame on the cops for even charging him to begin with. Suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon? That's the dumbest charge I've ever heard of.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Stop him, ask some basic questions, I have no problem with that. Even a short lived detainment is okay. When I say short, I mean short. If the guy is on the up and up, let him be. I don't think it necessary to carry a bag of "protective" stuff into the movies. But then again, who cares what I think. Just because I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean he shouldn't. I don't know what the law is in Ohio, or the rules that must be followed in the private movie theater. We have to remember, there are always consequences to our actions. We live in a partial police state. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Preventing crimes always involves potentially stepping on some legal toes. The polices' primary job is to pursue those who have already broken the law, but if they can prevent something like a shooting, I would encourage them to do so.

For example, if somehow police had known James Holmes was driving to a movie with four guns and many hundreds or thousands of rounds of ammunition, grenades, and a gas mask, would you want him to be stopped? Assuming the guns were unloaded and legally stored, he is doing nothing wrong. But there is probable cause there to stop him.

I think the same thing about a guy with a bag in a movie theater. The fact that he arrived early and took up a tactical position would give me probable cause. Especially if I was a guard hired to protect that movie theater.

If they take him aside and discover nothing is up, let him go on his way. No arrests or bogus charges. But even if he was within his rights, I don't see an issue with stopping him if he is acting suspicious.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I thought I read that he did not have a concealed carry permit.....that would have most likely resulted in an arrest or whatever. Also, the extra mags and knives seem a bit overkill and unecessary.....just saying, 1 mag is enough....and if not....you probably should spend more time at the range

And it seems that Regal has a no weapons policy too.

Not that I agree witht he no weapon policy, but if you can and do have the legal means to have it....THEN HAVE IT

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I heard on the radio he did not have a conceal carry permit. When his bag was searched he said he would go put it out in his car but he got arrested on the spot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
wow....this reminds me of the movie "minority report" with tom cruise. apparently now we have pre-cog's that can forsee the future and tell who will commit crimes??? this incident is rediculous, granted I do not want to monday morning quarterback this and the article left out some points (unless I mis-read it.) Which are: He showed up early...Big deal that's explainable as he wanted to make sure he got a good seat to optimally view the movie. Did he actually bring the bag into the theatre with him?...((this part I'm unclear about)) or was he merely securing some stuff from the bag at his car and then whent in? I hate to play devils advocate on this but if he had the bag WITH him in the theater well then the security guy should have stopped him at the door and been like "sir you can't bring that in with you" or something to that effect, that probably would have solved a huge chunk of the issue right there.....Also in the video, the guy giving the report said the patron whent to see "that movie that late at night." ....Again BIG DEAL, maybe he worked untill late and that was the only time he could get to go see a movie he wanted to see....Truth of the matter is there's a lot of information missing from the article that makes it really impossible for anyone in the public to judge. this whole thing seems to be built on a circumstantial situation of this person opening fire, that more then likely would have never taken place.(at least from what I have read)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
1 mag is enough....and if not....you probably should spend more time at the range
Why do people say this? Honestly. It's like the people that harp revolvers over semi autos. "If ya can't hit yer target in six shots ya need to get back to the range her her." It has nothing whatsoever with your accuracy to put holes in paper. You are going to be scared, adrenaline flowing, and you might not be facing one guy. You can't honestly go up to someone and say "Why carry XX rounds? YY is more than enough." Do you know exactly what is going to happen? Like "Nobody NEEDS a 30 round banana clip!!!!!!!" My response: "Oh, I was unaware we had a fortune teller in our midsts. Well I don't believe in psychics."

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Why do people say this? Honestly. It's like the people that harp revolvers over semi autos. "If ya can't hit yer target in six shots ya need to get back to the range her her." It has nothing whatsoever with your accuracy to put holes in paper. You are going to be scared, adrenaline flowing, and you might not be facing one guy. You can't honestly go up to someone and say "Why carry XX rounds? YY is more than enough." Do you know exactly what is going to happen? Like "Nobody NEEDS a 30 round banana clip!!!!!!!" My response: "Oh, I was unaware we had a fortune teller in our midsts. Well I don't believe in psychics."
You forgot to mention that mag failures can and do happen.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Some of the posts in this thread are downright scary.

NYS is evidence of the slippery slope argument in action. People, even gun enthusiasts and those who carry for self defense, start to get used to restrictive gun laws and consider them normal. In this thread, I read implicit support for legislation that would rule how we could carry, how much ammo we could carry, and detention without reasonable suspicion. Think about it.

If anyone wonders why we have an AWB and mag limits and a permitting process that is out of control, look no further than this thread.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I wonder what the news would say if one of us got stopped? Most of us probably carry a gun, spare mags, flashlight, at least one knife.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A little research shows that a "No Guns Allowed" signs have the force of law in Ohio. Handgunlaw.us

So then if the theater had such signage, then arrest could happen. And I certainly do not like anything about thought police.
That being said, no more gun control laws. What we have are not working and those new NY ones proposed
would not have done anything for these tragedies.
If a criminal wants to do something, they certainly aren't going to abide by any law!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
In his...not defense? (offense?) he should not have been carrying them in a bag from a tactical standpoint. Carry it on you.

I wonder what the news would say if one of us got stopped? Most of us probably carry a gun, spare mags, flashlight, at least one knife.
"Maniac with an arsenal." :O

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
This is turning into the thought police. We THINK he may of wanted to commit a crime ...
Damn Pre-crime has already been invented? I want in on the company stock.

I personally don't give a rats ass, what people carry and how (as long as its safe). You want to carry 30 knives in a backpack because you feel better, go for it. You want to walk down the street with body armor, tact vest full of mags and ar/ak. I'm not scared, do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Kinda stupid to carry a backpack full of weapons. Concealed is concealed... but this guy probably deserves the arrest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts