New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few of you guys sell stuff on armslist. I know I do. I got an email about my pistol I have listed. After a couple of short emails I find out the guy doesn't have a permit and lives in queens to boot. Needless to say that was the end of the conversation for me.This is the first time I had a troll respond to an ad list on there. Any of you guys getting the same type of emails?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Well, it's not just armslist. I've had similar inquiries on various guns I've sold advertised in all different places. When that happens I'll always take the time to both explain the law and make it clear that I am a law abiding owner with no interest in doing anything illegal. You just never know who is on the other end of that email. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that those inquires originate more from anti-gunners trying to prove a point than they do people trying to illegally acquire arms.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Bloomberg stooges.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The great thing about it is that people from your area are watching the site... so it's a good way to sell without paying for shipping, and if you're buying you can go see the item.
I sold a few shotguns for my uncle that way.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sell the gun to the queens guy, send it via the ATF overnight.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the site mainly because I prefer local transactions buying and selling, saves the hassle of shipping and waiting for delivery. The person that emailed me seemed to know the law. I didn't feel I needed to explain it to him. I thought about it being a sting type email too but if it was he's not very convincing. I have bought and sold many firearms over the years from various sites and this was the first time for this for me.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
how long has he lived in Queens? Is it possible he was from another state that doesn't require a carry permit? Sounds weird to me too but if he didn't harass you or try to sweeten the deal by throwing in more money may have been just a case of him not knowing the law. I have heard that there really are stings on there though, so obviously you never want to do anything illegal on that site.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You mean them piles of folks selling lightning links and drop in auto sears with no NFA paperwork required aren't legitimate sellers?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Could be the good old BATF is also fishing......Commie bastards.....

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I know a few of you guys sell stuff on armslist. I know I do. I got an email about my pistol I have listed. After a couple of short emails I find out the guy doesn't have a permit and lives in queens to boot. Needless to say that was the end of the conversation for me.This is the first time I had a troll respond to an ad list on there. Any of you guys getting the same type of emails?
EXACTLY. About 2 months ago some guy e-mails me about buying a GSG1911 that I had for sale. He asks to come over and look at it, and I say sure why not. After he drives an hour to my house, and tells me he'll take the gun, I ask if he has a pistol license. He looks at me like I'm from Mars and claims he didn't know since he bought a shotgun "the other day and I'm just starting my collection". Needless to say he went home empty handed.
Early last week a gun e-mails and tells me he wants to come over Saturday and buy the same gun. I say OK, are you a pistil license holder or do you have a badge. Never heard back from him.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Maybe you should added "NYS Pistol Permit required" to the ad just for the less knowledgeable folks, granted they should go and look it up but the fact they the one guy drove an hour shows he really didn't know at all, if he was gonna scam or buy an illegal pistol I don't think he would have driven anywhere to get it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just inquired about an M1A for sale on Armslist. The picture of the firearm didn't work with the questions I asked and the answers I received. Turns out he is from Oklahoma and a scammer. Received e-mails from armslist stating the sale was a scam. If I buy from that site it has to be FTF. CYA!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Could be ignorant of gun laws. I have witnessed people come into a gun shop and say "I would to purchase a pistol" not realizing their is lenghthy permit process.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I have only gotten rid of one gun on there and it was kosher. I find Armslist to be somewhat safe and fairly straight forward BUT it does have a Craigslist "feel" to it at times with a few ads. I would say keep selling and buying from there but just be more specific such as another mentioned with the NYS Pistol Permit Required and even use the FTF gun bill of sale where they HAVE to sign stating that they are legal to own a the gun you are selling. Just stick to NYF For Sale section and all will be good. ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are many that really don't know you need a permit but this guys response to my questions of where are you located and what does your permit office require for a transfer?? he answered back " Queens, no permit" That told me he knew he needed one. Everything I have bought and sold have been face to face, which is why I like using the site.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
The good news is that if you report them and ruin a Bloomers business venture, they sill simply create another account and try again. And again. And again. And again.

Crazy to think that Bloomers might be shady eh? No.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
i DO like the FTF transactions, no issue with the buyer claiming your description was less than honest(your exc condition might not be the same as his), no shipping charges, less hassle than auction sites.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I just came across the perfect example of someone just not knowing the law or firearms in general. I have been going back and forth with a guy trying to explain that he has a A2 flash hider on his rifle for sale not a muzzle brake. Seems to think because it has a solid bottom that makes it a brake ????????

·
Registered
649 Posts
RoyP;242782~~~trying to explain that he has a A2 flash hider on his rifle for sale not a muzzle brake. Seems to think because it has a solid bottom that makes it a brake ????????[/QUOTE said:
I have seen "muzzle brake" being sold that looks exactly like a2 flash hiders with bottom slots filled in.

See here Muzzle Brake A2 1/2-28 Thread Post-Ban AR-15 Steel Parkerized

So, he could be right.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts