New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you carry your firearm on you too/from work, with just your armed guard license or do you need a different license to do so?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can you carry your firearm on you too/from work, with just your armed guard license or do you need a different license to do so?
An armed guard/armored guard license is not a firearms permit, it is a license that certifies state regesitration as an armed security professional after passing a state certified armed security or armored guard course, of which you need a pistol permit to take, as much of the class is hands on firearms training and shooting. Also, I believe it is required to have your pistol permit on you at all times when you are carrying, which even when "restricted" covers carry too and from.

If I understand your question correctly, it is the valid NYS pistol permit that authorizes you to carry the firearm, not your guard license, that you wouldn't have without the pistol permit

·
Registered
50 Posts
Then, of course I just now notice your name has NYC which is entirely different from the rest of the state. The state firearms trainer at my armored company explained it to me as in the city you go through the training and the city issues the pistol permit for only the hours you are on the clock and only such time that you are employed as an armored guard. When you quit you're armored car position you no longer have a firearms permit.

All that said, the NYS and NYC laws are entirely different, and there a few differences between armored truck certifcations and armed security.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts