New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
"But no armed citizen could ever stop a shooting spree with a personal firearm!"

**** off Antis.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah old story.

Still don't believe it was 50 yards. Maybe 50 feet.. lol

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I was just imagining a similar incident the other day. I don't have a pistol permit so if I was in his position I would probably use my mauser with SP rounds. What concerns me though is in this day and age would I get in trouble for helping a police officer in such a way?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
4 Aug 2012, 165 yards with a pistol.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Yeah old story.

If he was using a decent magnum, don't be so sure, I personally was out shooting once at a makeshift shooting range (an old gravel pit up in NY) and some other guy shows up to shoot (we were using a friends property, and he let basically anyone go shoot up there since it was a good backdrop) which was actually the first time this ever happened so we chatted it up, shot each others guns and what not. I mentioned I was waiting for my permit and he said he had his, shows my his CC piece, a 13+1 shot Beretta 84FS, really nice, had the bluing refinished - anyway I had some soda cans set up at 75 yards (I used a range finder to set them up, this isn't a guess) to pop with my Mosin Nagant, I asked him how accurate the smaller Berettas are, and without saying a word he answered me question by popping 2 of the cans at 75 YARDS, with a freakin' .380 pistol. 2 cans, 7 shots, but let me tell you a man sized target would have eaten all 7 of those shots, a .357 or a .44 in his hands would have been like a nail driver.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Yeah old story.

Why don't you believe 50 yards? I know old timers that can easily hit a pie plate at 50 yards about every shot.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Once someone is familiar enough with their pistol, 50+ yds is feasible. The problem is that typical iron sights tend to block out the target at that distance (precision shooting becomes difficult at best at that range), so it really boils down to muscle memory and excellent line of sight approximation after years of shooting experience.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Oh no! An AR-15 was mentioned in the story! The cop had it. Surprised the mainstream media didn't jump all over this...oh, I see why they didn't. A gun was used to save lives. Freaking hypocrites.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yeah old story.

Ever shoot a Smith 686 single action?
Great sights and 4-6 " barrel, not a problem to hit a body at 50yds!

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
At one of my rifle competitions we had some down time before the match started one of the guys took his 44 mag out and pinged the 500 yard ram with it. Now if I was him I would have put the pistol down and said anyone else want to try that, but he tried to duplicate the shot himself and missed the next 5 shots. Sometimes there is lucky and other times there is good. The guy in the story hit the perp 3 times at 165 yards, I would call that good.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
At one of my rifle competitions we had some down time before the match started one of the guys took his 44 mag out and pinged the 500 yard ram with it. Now if I was him I would have put the pistol down and said anyone else want to try that, but he tried to duplicate the shot himself and missed the next 5 shots. Sometimes there is lucky and other times there is good. The guy in the story hit the perp 3 times at 165 yards, I would call that good.
Says they later corrected it to around 50 yards, he made the 165 yard claim when he was interviewed, he probably got tunnel vision aiming at another human being and it LOOKED that far to him.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Says they later corrected it to around 50 yards, he made the 165 yard claim when he was interviewed, he probably got tunnel vision aiming at another human being and it LOOKED that far to him.
Ahh I didn't get that far, I just remembered it was an old story and the distance. 50 yards is not that difficult to do with a handgun and practice. I watched my dad shoot a 1911 at 75 yards quite a few times, of course he was on the USMC Barstow Pistol team at the time.

i do remember thinking holy cow that was some awesome shooting when I heard the story the first time.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Ahh I didn't get that far, I just remembered it was an old story and the distance. 50 yards is not that difficult to do with a handgun and practice. I watched my dad shoot a 1911 at 75 yards quite a few times, of course he was on the USMC Barstow Pistol team at the time.

i do remember thinking holy cow that was some awesome shooting when I heard the story the first time.
Still possible, assuming the shooter was standing still aiming and not paying attention to the other guy.

I think this is an 18 inch gong? That makes it about chest sized

And that's a pocket Glock, and I'm not knocking the Glock but the sights aren't really made for 230 yard shots lol, they are pretty big and chunky.

Holy!

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Yeah there are some trick shooters that have shot balloons with a snub nosed 38 at 200 yards so I know it is possible.
Bob Munden never stopped to amaze me with some of the stuff he would do.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Bob Munden was an amazing shooter. 50 yards is not even that far with a full sized 9mm. I went to the range with some LEO buddies a couple of weeks ago. It's not all that tough. I think I went 7 for 10 on a pie plate and I'm not even a great shot. Now this was under zero stress so it makes it much easier! When I thought it was a 150 yard shot like initially reported I gave that a try with a .357 mag. I did not ring the steel at all. Quit after 6 attempts.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Got to use a lot of Kentucky windage for those kind of shots. I hit the same steel ram with my MAK-90 one shot out of 20 or so, I shot, watched the dust, shot and continued until I was holding about 18 feet to the right and 9 feet above. I just cannot imagine having to place a shot from a pistol under stress at 150 yards plus.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Got to use a lot of Kentucky windage for those kind of shots. I hit the same steel ram with my MAK-90 one shot out of 20 or so, I shot, watched the dust, shot and continued until I was holding about 18 feet to the right and 9 feet above. I just cannot imagine having to place a shot from a pistol under stress at 150 yards plus.
Yeah, I was hoping to watch the dust but it was dry. I had no clue where I was missing. Might have to try it again sometime just for fun.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
If you want to make 50 yard shots, practice at 50 yards.

Edward Land (Carlos Hathcock's CO) expected his trained snipers to be able to engage targets at 100 yards with their 1911s.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
If you want to make 50 yard shots, practice at 50 yards.
Yup.

I'm average at best, but I can hit a 12" steel plate at 60 yards 1 or 2 times out of 10, and I don't really "practice" that shot at all. I also know I'm in the ballpark with the other shots.

The real story to me here is the guy could stand there out in the open and coolly focus on his target while that target was shooting at him with an AR. I think it really helped the hand gunner that he scored the first hit (thigh) before the other guy could return fire.

One more critical point: At that distance, you had better be doubly-plus sure of what is beyond your target!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts