New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great news today. The Ares SCR will start shipping out this week. For all those who waited so long you shall be receiving phone calls or emails very soon.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Of course it will. I was waiting and waiting to purchase one, but when a really good deal on another AR popped up last week, I thought "it's ARES; they probably won't ship for months!"

Now, do I get one to try, anyway? My plan would be to sell whichever one I don't prefer, but could I actually do it? Chances are that I'd just end up spending another $1k that I don't have.

One good (and bad) thing about the SCR is that it is not an AR. Had Feinstein's 2013 AWB bill passed, it would not have been banned, while any AR would have (there's a funny video of a judiciary committee hearing, where one witness points out the similarities in function between a Mini-14 and an AR, yet one is specifically exempted from ban, while the other is specifically banned.)

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
An, o really need to hit the lotto already. So many guns on my short list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
this is the ARES SCR that I want.

I bet the anti's wouldnt even be happy with this one though.. (photoshop)

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I would like to buy one when the funds are available to do so, although i actually have at least 2 other purchases in front of this rifle. i know this doesnt appeal to everyone, but I really like the look of this rifle.

fortunately, being restricted by lack of funds is a good thing in this case. it will allow the price to hopefully drop a little, and it will allow any bugs in the action to work themselves out (if it ends up having any). im very interested to see how the buffer system performs over time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
this is the ARES SCR that I want.

Some things that I can tell you about you version based on conversations with Ares sales department and Matt at B&H Police Supply:

1) They will not be offering (initially, anyway) the SCR with any other hand guards than the MOE ones, but ...
2) The gas block is a low-profile one, so adding a free floating rail system is easy.
3) You will need to buy the optional bolt catch/release.
4) That is the 18" barrel with the rifle-length gas system and the regular (not short) Sporter stock.
5) The flash-hider is, of course, a no-no in NY, but the profile that they had made for the barrels looks like is has a small flash hider.
6) To give you an idea of how shallow the magwell is, that's a true 5-round magazine (not a 5/10) sticking out that far.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
thanks for the info carp, but why is a bolt catch/release optional? and perhaps ARES may consider selling the rifle with a BRAKE rather than a hider as I thought that portion of the law was thrown out.. the whole mis spelling thing with break vs brake... although I cant remember now for sure.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What's up with the bolt release, it's optional? I don't get it.
thanks for the info carp, but why is a bolt catch/release optional? and perhaps ARES may consider selling the rifle with a BRAKE rather than a hider as I thought that portion of the law was thrown out.. the whole mis spelling thing with break vs brake... although I cant remember now for sure.
The base model is very minimalist, "hey, I don't look like an AR; I look like a hunting rifle." It does not come with a bolt release, forward assist, shell deflector, front sight, military-style barrel profile, rail system, etc. There's a cut-out for the bolt release that is filled with a blank, so it is an optional add-on. The bolt carrier doesn't interface with forward assists, so if you put on an upper with one, then pushing it won't do anything.

As for the brake, nobody is going to count on that technicality lasting indefinitely.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
good info, thanks carpNY & irishpride

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no affiliation to Colisuem Gun Traders is what I meant. Just thought NY would like to know what dealers are stocking the rifle if they choose to see one first hand without having to buy one or see on the internet.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Already one on GB. 1K
Same seller had a Monte Carlo stock model (SCR #1) and a Short Sporter stock model (SCR #3) on there with starting bids of less than $900 a week or two ago. I don't believe that the bidding went any higher than that on either, but I know at least one person bid on the Short Sporter model. I thought about it, but I would like the bolt catch option, which I'm sure this seller couldn't get.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Any details on when/if they will sell the complete lower only? Using any upper of your choice would make this a no brainer if they sell the lower by itself.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Any details on when/if they will sell the complete lower only? Using any upper of your choice would make this a no brainer if they sell the lower by itself.
Agreed, but I believe they said "not in the immediate plans" or something like that. They'll wait until complete rifle sales start to slow and then they'll bring out the lowers to tap into that secondary market.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts