New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the license division at August, and they did a couple days of research on it, and when I called them back they sad is LEGAL in NYC and they will register it.
Ibought one at the end of August from Coliseum Gun Traders. License division received documents on August 29 2014,

Yesterday I called them and another officer told me that they would not register it.
I spoke to the supervisor and she sad that it accept ar15 mag and could accept mag from m16 also it may be ease modifiable to become assault weapon. I try to explain that it is no way you could put pistol grip on it and it is proprietary trigger group
She states that in no way they will register it.

Same day at evening I finally got a letter from them with rejection to register: Reason of rejection: Burrell Shroud.

I know that the screwed up from 3-6 people like that; If you one of them please contact me in private.

I'm looking up to pick up a fight. Is anyone ever contested their decisions?
Any advice are welcome?

-Alex

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I spoke with them as well...they also did 3 days "investigation" on it...and said it was legal in NYC...not an AR15...no banned features. With a 5 round mag it IS legal in NYC.

I did not buy one yet, but they told me it was legal.

Did they really say "Burrel" shroud? Wow.

First of all...just because it can take AR15 (or m16 haha) mags, that is NOT a ban-able feature.

And being "easily modifiable to an Assault Weapon?" Even IF true, that is ALSO not a ban-able feature. ANY gun is easily modifiable into an assault weapon...you can duct tape a piece of wood onto ANY gun to create a pistol grip...or attach a folding stock to ANY gun.

So does that mean ALL guns are banned in NYC? Sorry NYPD you can't have it both ways.

And the handguard is NOT a barrel shroud. It is the same as a stock. Unless they want to ban ALL guns with stocks, they can't call the handguard a barrel shroud.

Idiots. Complete morons.

I will join a lawsuit for wrongful denial and lump in my Colt Match Target I tried to register...it had NO evil features (no pistol grip or anything)...and they wouldn't allow it because they said it was an "AR15" - even though it it NOT an Armalite brand AR15...it is a colt match target...AR15 is a specific brand/model...mine is a Colt Match Target.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
There is an old thread of a member who had a similar run in with them he took it to the top and got his rifle registered. i'll try and dig up the thread.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Burrell shroud? The ballot box is clearing not working...NYC licensing division and City council need to be relieved of their duties.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
There is an old thread of a member who had a similar run in with them he took it to the top and got his rifle registered. i'll try and dig up the thread.
I've had issues with M1 carbines...but I fought and won.

I did not win my fight to register a Colt Match Target M4...even though it is technically legal.

Phibes I'd like to read the thread...I must have missed it, as I am always looking for fights against NYC's gun laws.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
OK I just spoke to Officer Casella.

He says "yeah the commissioner deemed that rifle illegal...because it can be modified into an assault weapon because you can replace the stock too easily."

Obiously that is wrong because you can't really replace the stock with anything...PLUS just because it is easily modifiable does NOT mean it is illegal.

They are so full of BS.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
yeah the burrell shroud! thats the part where the shoulder thing that goes up screws into!

think of all the crimes that were prevented by the banning of that one burrell shroud...

I'd love to see the NYPD firearm instruction. I'd probably either piss myself laughing or vomit. Or both. The mere fact that they equip officers' guns with an extra heavy trigger tells you everything you need to know about their ignorance. (Not bashing the individual officers here: just the top officials who dictate such horrible policies and have no idea what they're doing/talking about)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It isn't exactly the same scenario, but :

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-p.../58025-getting-firearm-you-want-out-nypd.html

The mag it accepts is not a feature that makes it banned. If that were the case the Mossberg MVP BOLT ACTION would be illegal since it takes AR mags... Call them on this bs. Fight hard
Oh man he had it easy compared to what they made me do to register my M1 carbines...they had me going to FFLs all over the place to get letters saying the gun was NYC legal and had no banned features...plus look at the letter I sent with the registration...Had to try and spell it out for them...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Dave, I posted the link above (post 5), but it looks like the member contacted Kelly. Since Bratton has ruled on the Ares appealing to him will probably not do much good. I doubt the OP has the time and money to get a lawyer when he can just sell the rifle, but i agree that what one can do to modify the rifle is meaningless... According to youtube I can modify my Mag Light to be a suppressor. Seems like if this was fought it would be won. Though it would take a bit of logic and critical thinking so maybe not.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
They Sound Like The SOUP NAZI'S ! First Vote The Bastard's Out Second Move The ###k Out of NYC Then The State ! What a Joke ! :bang:

·
Registered
374 Posts
OP should let ARES know that NYC has declared the SCR as an Assault Weapon. Maybe they would be interested in taking some action. If NYC can get away with this, it's possible other gun-hating bureaucrats will feel they can do the same.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've had issues with M1 carbines...but I fought and won.

I did not win my fight to register a Colt Match Target M4...even though it is technically legal.

Phibes I'd like to read the thread...I must have missed it, as I am always looking for fights against NYC's gun laws.
The law doesn't matter in NYC. Only emotions. When the laws aren't good enough for them, they make up their own and the peasants go along with it because master knows best. I really feel for you guys out there. As bad as it is outside of the city its 50x worse in there.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I called the license division at August, and they did a couple days of research on it, and when I called them back they sad is LEGAL in NYC and they will register it.
Ibought one at the end of August from Coliseum Gun Traders. License division received documents on August 29 2014,

Yesterday I called them and another officer told me that they would not register it.
I spoke to the supervisor and she sad that it accept ar15 mag and could accept mag from m16 also it may be ease modifiable to become assault weapon. I try to explain that it is no way you could put pistol grip on it and it is proprietary trigger group
She states that in no way they will register it.

Same day at evening I finally got a letter from them with rejection to register: Reason of rejection: Burrell Shroud.

I know that the screwed up from 3-6 people like that; If you one of them please contact me in private.

I'm looking up to pick up a fight. Is anyone ever contested their decisions?
Any advice are welcome?

-Alex
forget it. you loose. They wont even let me register a single shot 50 cal Noreen. They said its a sniper rifle. They are not the smartest group. If you ask 5 different people a question, you will get 5 different answers. No lawyer is going to help you. my advice, move to a normal free state.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
OP should let ARES know that NYC has declared the SCR as an Assault Weapon. Maybe they would be interested in taking some action. If NYC can get away with this, it's possible other gun-hating bureaucrats will feel they can do the same.
this is a great idea

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
They aren't even twisting or bending current laws, they are MAKING UP **** to fit their agenda. This is criminal and makes NYC Government completely illegitimate. If they don't feel the need to follow the laws they enacted we shouldn't either.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
op should let ares know that nyc has declared the scr as an assault weapon. Maybe they would be interested in taking some action. If nyc can get away with this, it's possible other gun-hating bureaucrats will feel they can do the same.
done.

hello. I wanted to inform you that nyc and the nypd licensing division have recently deemed the ares scr an "assualt weapon," and can therefore not be possessed in nyc.

As you may know, a great number of people in nyc have been looking forward to an actual reliable rifle that is suitable for self defense. The ares scr would have quickly become the most popular rifle in nyc, and most likely ny state as a whole.

More than 1 person, including myself, spoke with the nypd regarding the scr, and we were all told it was perfectly legal, since it has no banned features.

Here is the nyc definition of an "assault weapon" -

(a) any semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic shotgun which has
one or more of the following features:
1. Folding or telescoping stock or no stock;
2. Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
3. Bayonet mount;
4. Flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
5. Barrel shroud;
6. Grenade launcher; or
7. Modifications of such features, or other features, determined by rule of the
commissioner to be particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes. In
addition, the commissioner shall, by rule, designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or
rimfire rifles or semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and/or
manufacturer's name, as within the definition of assault weapon, if the commissioner
determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and not sporting
purposes.

Now, they are telling everyone that it is banned for a number of ludicrous reasons...

1) "it has a burrel shroud and is therefore banned in nyc."

yes, a "burrel" shroud. That is in writing in a denial letter from the rifle shotgun licensing section. As you know, a handguard is not a barrel shroud. If that was the case, every gun with any front area stock would be illegal in nyc...even hunting rifles.

2) the stock is too easily modified to accept an aftermarket folding or tele stock." -officer casella of the licensing division

obviously your proprietary stock is not easily replaced...and even if there were aftermarket tele stocks or folding stocks for it, that is not a bannable feature in nyc. "ease of modification" is not a bannable feature in nyc law. Officer casella is adamant that "his documentation says that the stock is easily modified."

even if "ease of modification" was a bannable feature in nyc, that would make almost all guns illegal in nyc, as you can modify any gun easily to be an "assault weapon." you can attach a wood dowel to any gun to make a pistol grip for example.

3) "it takes ar15 magazines so it is banned."

again, just because a gun takes the same magazines as an "assault weapon" does not mean it is illegal. Nothing in nyc law states this.

4) "the scr is primarily for non-sporting purposes - plus we can ban anything we want for any reasons we want."

obviously the scr is suitable for sporting purposes. Even if it was purely for reasons other than "sporting purposes" - the nypd should not be able to ban them arbitrarily whenever they wish just because they want to. Guns that are suitable for self defense are protected by the heller / mcdonald decisions.

Would your company be interested in crafting a press release or legal letter, listing the reasons why the scr is legal in nyc?

Maybe say that "it is not easier to modify into an "assault weapon" than any other gun in the world. It does not have a barrel shroud or any other banned features, and is legal per nyc laws."

i know your company prided itself on making a rifle that was "legal in all 50 states," so it would be amazing for you to help nyc gun owners. A letter from you, the actual manufacturer of the gun, saying that it is not an "assault weapon" per nyc laws, and has no banned features, would actually force them to admit that the gun is nyc legal (which it is).

Also - there are various threads on this beginning on ar15.com and nyfirearms.com - i can send links to those as well.

Thank you for your time.
Not sure why my capital letters disappeared on copy/paste...

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
The SCR is NOT an AR-15.
The stock can NOT be easily replaced. IN fact, ARES told me directly that there is no practical way to mount a folding stock, since the recoil spring is inside the stock.

THIS needs an Article 78.

Or, just sell me the gun at a good discount. I will give it a good home in Nassau County.

1 - 20 of 301 Posts