New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a NRA LIfe member for more years than I can remember. During that time I have never contributed money to any of the hundreds of requests they sent out.
In an email today I received another such request worded like this;
The latest polls show that 11 key battleground states could decide the presidential election just two weeks from today!
And NRA-ILA has identified over 10.3 million gun owners in these key states!!!
If you and I can reach just a fraction of these gun owners and get them to the polls, we can move two to three percent of the vote on Election Day and defeat Barack Obama. But we need to act RIGHT NOW.
Everything is ready to go. The lists are secured. The postcards are designed. The volunteers are on the ground. How much we print, how far we reach, and how many gun owners we turn out to vote against Obama depends on you. We've spent every last dime we have, but we must to do more!
Whatever you can afford to contribute RIGHT NOW -- whether it's $10, $15, $20, $50, $100, or more -- every dollar will help NRA-ILA get gun owners to the polls in these crucial 11 battleground states and defeat Barack Obama.
These 10.3 million gun owners we've identified are not NRA members. They don't read our magazines. They don't hear our message. And many of them WILL NOT VOTE unless they get a postcard...or a phone call...or a knock on the door from NRA-ILA in the next 14 days!!!
We made sure John Kerry didn't become president. We defeated Al Gore. We are the only organization in America that can win high stakes elections -- but only because of the strong commitment of NRA members like you.
Please help NRA-ILA do what is absolutely necessary to beat Obama today.
Normally this would go right into the junk folder, but today was different because I remembered something I read the other day. perhaps you read it too, here....
Barbra Streisand asks for 'emergency contribution' from Obama supporters: Are Hollywood Democrats panicking? | Fox News

I figure if streisand can send out an email asking for donations for obama, and knowing that hundreds if not thousands that received this email would send money because the great babs has asked then I really need to do a little something to help our side as well.
So, what do you think, are you in this fight or out?

· Registered
3,865 Posts
They don't need my money.
From Wikipedia (they do a lot of fact checking now)
According to the Better Business Bureau's web site, the NRA does not fall within the BBB's scope of Standards for Charity Accountability. They do note the following financials for the NRA as of December 31, 2004. The NRA's CEO, Wayne LaPierre, received a yearly salary of $895,897 in 2004. They also indicated that fundraising costs accounted for 46% of the contributions received. The NRA is a 501(c)(4) organization and indicated that the NRA's total income in 2004 was $205,402,491 and had expenses of $206,886,970. Total NRA assets at the end of 2004 were $222,841,128.
You see that? With almost half going towards collecting more money, the various other places they spend it, and on salaries, simples math shows that less than half of what you send will be used the way you intend. Less than half. It's your money, do what you want with it. But you should know where it is going.

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I see your point. But this upcoming election scares me and I know that when some liberal artist like streisand asks many will give in and send money.

SO is it better that I send something and half of it gets used to fight the dem machine, or is it better to send nothing and hope my good wishes are enough to counter the liberals.
I'll bet you that most of those sending money into obama are not concerned or asking how much of their contribution is being used to actually wage the war.

Lastly, you mentioned the "various other places they spend money", Dont forget those various other places include things like the Youth Day at a local gun club recently that was 100% funded with a grant from the NRA. That was thousands of dollars, but I guess that was a waste too.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I fired off $50 the other day. The NRA performs an essential task and performs it well, despite all its other warts. Without it we'd have lost 2A rights decades ago.
They have done great things in NY. Can you tell me where I can go buy recent production standard capacity mags in ny?

I have considered joining because I am for gun rights but I despise all lobby groups.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
As a few of us including myself had said, NRA for get exactly $0 from me here in NY.

Nothing like paying for everyone else's fun.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I'll pass. With LaPierre making over $900,000 a year, and other execs getting well into the 6 figures, they won't be getting any of my money until they start controlling costs better. I'll stick to SCOPE NY.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
I do the round up thing on Midway USA when I buy from them in donation to the NRA, I feel that's enough for me.

· Registered
7,787 Posts
The Better Business Bureau~~~BWHAHAHAHAHAHA, what joke. First off many people think the BBB has some kind of Governmental power. They are a private enterprise. If your rating is an *F*, you pay them $400 or $500 and your rating will magically change to a *A+* rating and all those bothersome complaints will go away? weird?

I stopped any and all NRA payments when I figured out the monumental waste of resources they have. I send them $35 for a years membership, they send me a magazine and $20 worth of trinkets and other crap. what a waste.

I'll stick with other gun organizations.

· Registered
1,776 Posts
I'll pass. With LaPierre making over $900,000 a year, and other execs getting well into the 6 figures, they won't be getting any of my money until they start controlling costs better. I'll stick to SCOPE NY.
Let's not look at the money someone like Babs makes. All the actors and actresses that make MILLIONS that have NO education yet are stumping for O.B. Do you know Taylor Swift makes $52 Million dollars a year, that's $1 Million dollars a WEEK, but we worried about the exec that is making $900.000 a year who is protecting our gun rights, nice soapbox! Maybe we should all look at the issues in this election. O.B. said he wants ALL assualt weapons. Does anyone know what O.B's diffenition of "assualt wepons" are? Not my opinion O.B's fact along with the Brady bunch, all semi auto pistols and shotguns, thats what they say is an "ASSUALT WEOPON!!!

Let's not forget the scum like AROD, Ray Lewis and the like that tell us that the Rebups only care about the rich yet make millions and are supporting O. B. REALLLY!

So yes let's worry tat LaPierre makes $900.000 cause that's the REAL ISSUE HERE!

· Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It really strikes me as funny what some people get hung up on.... now I really understand the expression of not being able to see the forrest because of the trees....

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Sorry, I got bored and skipped through most of this thread. Have to read the fine print where the money donated to ILA goes; I'm thinking higher % than the overall organization. You also need to keep in mind that the stats are prepared at the end of their fiscal year, so assuming they already covered their costs, incrementally every extra dollar donated goes to the cause. I'm a life member and already gave separately to ILA this year. Received the same e-mail today. When I get home, I'll send them another $125 even though I can't really afford it and will probably catch hell from my wife tomorrow. Franky if $0.05 goes towards defeating Obama this Nov I'll rest peacefully. Its not about what's in it for me in NY, its about the country. Thanks for posting.

5,143 Posts
Let's not look at the money someone like Babs makes. All the actors and actresses that make MILLIONS that have NO education yet are stumping for O.B. Do you know Taylor Swift makes $52 Million dollars a year, that's $1 Million dollars a WEEK, but we worried about the exec that is making $900.000 a year who is protecting our gun rights, nice soapbox! Maybe we should all look at the issues in this election. O.B. said he wants ALL assualt weapons. Does anyone know what O.B's diffenition of "assualt wepons" are? Not my opinion O.B's fact along with the Brady bunch, all semi auto pistols and shotguns, thats what they say is an "ASSUALT WEOPON!!!

Let's not forget the scum like AROD, Ray Lewis and the like that tell us that the Rebups only care about the rich yet make millions and are supporting O. B. REALLLY!

So yes let's worry tat LaPierre makes $900.000 cause that's the REAL ISSUE HERE!
I don't give a crap what Taylor Swift or Ray Lewis make. I don't give them any money. So, how am I on a soapbox? They actually have talent few people actually have. I'd be willing to bet there are hundreds or thousands of people that could do LaPierre's (or other execs) job just as well. Why on Earth would I give the NRA $50 where OVER HALF is wasted and something like $20 would actually go to doing good when I could donate the same $50 to SCOPE NY where VIRTUALLY ALL of it will actually go to making a difference in NY? I think the choice is obvious.

What exactly has the NRA done for residents of NY? We have an assault weapons ban, can't carry pistols throughout the state (thanks NYC), and some citizens can't even get a carry permit. So, remind me what exactly they have done for NY. There are plenty of national organizations that are fighting for our rights. From what I understand, the NRA was initially against Heller bringing a lawsuit against DC because they feared a loss. It was funded by a private party. Chicago v. McDonald was filed by the Second Amendment Foundation, and the NRA budged in when it looked like we would get a win. I'd rather give my hard earned money to groups that actually fight for my rights, not waste half of it.

The NRA has done (and still does) a lot of good. However, I don't feel like they spend money wisely. THAT is the issue here. You're free to disagree with me, but that's my opinion.

This isn't a Democrat vs. Republican thing. This is a "Who's going to spend my money best" thing. I could care less about who supports the Republicans or Democrats.

5,143 Posts
It really strikes me as funny what some people get hung up on.... now I really understand the expression of not being able to see the forrest because of the trees....
So you have a fixed amount of money you can afford to give. Pretend you can only give $100. Would you be better off giving it to the NRA where over half of it is wasted, or to the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, where most of it will go towards the cause?

So, you can effectively give $40 to the cause, or $60 (random numbers). Which organization should you be donating to?

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Sorry, I got bored and skipped through most of this thread. Have to read the fine print where the money donated to ILA goes; I'm thinking higher % than the overall organization. You also need to keep in mind that the stats are prepared at the end of their fiscal year, so assuming they already covered their costs, incrementally every extra dollar donated goes to the cause. I'm a life member and already gave separately to ILA this year. Received the same e-mail today. When I get home, I'll send them another $125 even though I can't really afford it and will probably catch hell from my wife tomorrow. Franky if $0.05 goes towards defeating Obama this Nov I'll rest peacefully. Its not about what's in it for me in NY, its about the country. Thanks for posting.
If you want to give money to defeat Obama perhaps a donation to Mitt might have been more in order. That NRA email is a joke. Do they actually think people are dumb enough to believe they beat Kerry and Gore?

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Taylor swift and Ray Lewis never called and asked me for money. I ask again:

What has the NRA done for gun rights in NY?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.