New York Firearms Forum banner

Are you required to disclose firearm possession when asked by LE?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Degenret 
#1 ·
I know you do not have to voluntarily disclose if you have weapon in say a traffic stop, but when asked "do you have any guns or other weapons in the vehicle" are you mandated to respond?

#6 ·
I dont know the legality for certain, but if you answer yes the very next question might be "do you mind if i search your car", then what? say yes because you have nothing to hide and consent to an unwarranted search? or say no, and stir up potential trouble.

personally, id be inclined to respond with a question such as "is that pertinent to the reason I am stopped here"?

#7 ·
To go along with this question. If youre pulled over for rolling through a stop sign or a taillight out for example. If you are asked if you have a firearm, you say yes sir it's on my hip I have a permit. The officer asks you to step outside of the vehicle because he's going to take you gun away unload it and set I on the hood for example "for safety" do you have to comply? Would he need a warrant? I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything just curious how this is supposed to work. Being all legal I would more than likely say "why yes sir". I know they can't search your car unless you say it's ok.

#8 ·
I always said "no". Saying yes would just delay you, and "ain't no one got time for dat". But now they can't ask, so it's moot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.