New York Firearms Forum banner

Are you involved in competitive/organized shooting?

• YES

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • NO

Votes: 14 38.9%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people on this forum are involved with competitive/organized shooting events? I find it kind of odd that this is a New York firearms forum, but yet it seems that a lot of people on here aren't involved in competitive/organized shooting. I only ask this because the competitive shooting forum is like a ghost town. I would figure by now that it would be a busy forum with all the matches going on in the summertime.

I personally shoot IPSC/USPSA & this past weekend I was involved in a 3-Gun match. I have been shooting for 2 years in IPSC & I love it! I am no expert by any means, but I am still picking up tips to make me a better shooter and my scores & shot placement reflect that.

I can't stress enough how important it is for gun owners to KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR FIREARM! Especially CCW permit holders! Get involved in USPSA, IPSC, IDPA! Take some defensive pistol/rifle/shotgun classes! The last thing you want is to not know how to use/manipulate your firearm in a stressful enviroment!

There are 2 types of gun owners--the one that owns a gun & the one that knows how to use a gun. Which one do you want to be?

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I run and shoot a steel falling plate event weekly during the winter (Dec.-Apr.) for .22LR pistol at our club. I am currently running and shooting a defensive pistol event every two weeks at our club. I also shoot the occasional tactical carbine match. Used to shoot bullseye but the interest in this has waned around here so I don't participate any more.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I try to attend RPD's Tuesday night CCW shoots at GCL. I've been doing a bad job lately, but still get in live fire practice at least once a week. I agree shooting is a perishable skill that needs to be frequently refreshed.

I'll add one thing to cooden's post; if you carry, your carry gun should be the one you shoot the most! Either carry the fancy 1911 you shoot at the range all the time, or spend your time and money practicing with the carry gun!

I always laugh to myself when I see someone shooting their Ruger .22 or their 1911, then spy their holstered Glock when they pick up their brass. My holster is always empty because that's usually the gun I'm shooting.

And on a side note, I know some of you think you're going to wear out your carry gun if you shoot it regularly (because I've had at least one person not buy a gun from me because it had 1,000 rounds through it). This is just not the case. If you have any kind of quality gun (and quality can be had for $400 new these days), you can use it for it was designed for. Replace springs at intervals the manufacturer suggests, and you should be able to shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds through a modern handgun.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree 100% Scotchman! I shoot production class because I want to get more proficient with the gun I carry all the time! You should know your carry gun inside & out!

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I shoot USPSA, production and single stack. Also got involved with MultiGun about once a month, very informal but hella fun. Next year we may make a league out of it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I shoot some sort of organized match at least once a week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Currently shoot oudoor bullseye ,trap and indoor air pistol . Shoot Ruger rimfire ( getting ready for world shoot in PA.) . I shot quite a bit of USPSA in the 90`s switched to IDPA shooting local and state matches. I haven`t shot IDPA in a while .( Hope to make GCL this Sat ) .Come fall is hunting season with indoor bullseye and winter trap in Jan.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am glad someone made this thread, it seems as of late more people take pictures of stuff, bitch about laws, compare bug out bags and argue than they shoot!

I shoot the same family of pistols for carry, defensive classes and for USPSA, does that count? :)

Defensive classes are something every shooter should do, they build a SOLID skill foundation faster than anything else! With the right instructor you can get the "pump or rush" required to find your point of human failure. Once this point is found you train to fix it, then find it again. I love taking classes have enjoyed shooting on Tuesday nights for almost as long as I have had my permit.

My first real exposure to "competition" was the worlds largest 3 gun match last year. It was one hell of an eye opener! The skill, the speed and the rush are unmatched period! I shot ok, but ran out of talent VERY quickly!! I also learned you NEVER take NY 10 rounders to an out of state match!

After the 3 gun match I came back and started to shoot Wed nights regularly. I shot production at first, and it while I got the "rush" for the first few times out, I found I wanted to be pushed harder. So I stepped up to limited, I get my ass kicked every week by the old guys and enjoy every minute of it! It is great to see the local talent and I have met some AWESOME people while doing it.

While USPSA is a game and nothing more, it really teaches you how to solve a problem, and when your initial plan fails (it does often) you are forced to make a new plan on the fly. In any form of shooting this ability will serve you well.

If you have not shot USPSA or taken a Defensive class, get out and DO IT!

Now out of everything I have been able to experience, I gotta say outlaw 3 gun (not USPSA multi gun) is where it's at! You are physically drained, your adrenalin is on a roller coaster all day! It is by far the most challenging and enjoyable shooting sport I have found. The trick is you have to be good at EVERYTHING above to even think about being successful at it.

No matter what you choose to shoot, shoot to learn. Try to learn something at every range session whether it be watching someone better than you, or even doing the monthly drills that Chris posts. If you must blow something up, save some tanerite for the end of the day as a reward for improvement! :)

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I wish. I am unaware of any clubs around here though. I'd be very interested in some run and gun.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I used to run a sub gun course that included moving/shooting/use of cover/reloads, then also ran basic instructional live fire with AK47, AR15s and others out to 300/400 yards. Now I just do my own thing at whatever range, and i just did a shoot in an action carbine course. A change of direction and less time has switched things up a bit for me. Its all good though.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I want to, but never have. Guess it's that anxiety of the first competition. Time to head to Pine Tree to man up and do it.
This is my second year shooting the Rimfire Benchrest League at Pinetree no need to be anxious, great bunch of guys more then willing to help new shooters, Check it out Jamie

·
Registered
620 Posts
I started shooting competivly about three years ago and what great fun it is. To those who have not tried it, dont be intimatated to try it , It's a eye opener when you first start but the skill's you learn may save your life or someone else and you will have more fun than you have ever had. Also the guys who shoot these match's have been very forth coming on information to make you better shooter. All nice people and have made new friend's too. So what are you waiting for, go shoot a small match first and I bet you get hooked. Our club , Ontairo rod and gun hold's a small one or two stage practical rifle match two times a month and anyone can shoot with us. We also shoot pistol after that. Send me a message if anyone would like to try it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am involved with S.A.F.E. on Long Island. S.A.F.E. does a women on target course 2 to 3 times a year introducing and teaching safe firearms practice. I am N.R.A. Instructor rated rifle pistol & shotgun andR.S.O.. I am now taking Hunter Safety course instructors class.
I try to promote firearms sports constantly.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
We have several gals that shoot our plate and def. pistol events. They have a great time and appreciate the chance to shoot and learn. Don't be afraid to try a competitive event. I go in with the attitude that I am not going to win but I am going to have lots of fun and learn new stuff. Like they tell Mikey in the cereal ads, try it you'll like it.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's great to see all the responses from the active shooters! For a minute there, I thought that there was only a handful of us. Keep the responses coming! For the people that want to try it out, but don't know how/where to go, post that in your thread, maybe someone that lives by you can give you some help!

G

·
I began shooting competitively back in 1980. My first experience was at a 3-gun match held in a gravel pit in Holley, NY. The host club has since evolved into the IPSC club at Brooks.

I actively participated in USPSA/IPSC for quite a few years through the 1980’s and 1990’s. I ran Geneva Practical Shooters (GPS) for a few years.

I’ve dabbled in NRA High Power Silhouette and F-Class rifle competitions. I’ve had the pleasure to shoot at the NRA Whittington Center in New Mexico on several occasions.

I've shot Service Rifle with the M16, M14 and M1 for years.

For a few years I was active in NRA Hunter Pistol shooting. I also shot some IHMSA matches too (pistol silhouette shooting out to 200-meters).

I’ve shot in a mess of sniper competitions in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona and California. I’ve had some luck in these shoots.

I am a Master class shooter in IDPA but am currently taking some time off to recuperate from some physical issues.

I shot on Tuesday nights for a few years at GCL and enjoyed that very much. I’m thinking of taking that up again.

I currently enjoy some local F-Class matches and the rim fire versions as well.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I really need to get to GCL on tuesdays. I have off tonight so it would be the perfect time to starts if it wasn't soo damn hot out!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I really need to get to GCL on tuesdays. I have off tonight so it would be the perfect time to starts if it wasn't soo damn hot out!
Come out. I will be there for the last squad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts