New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The paid visits to my local NYS owned rifle and pistol range are way off compared to last year numbers. The range employees say that this is a result of the SAFE Act.

At my range you have to provide photo ID and you are asked on a written form what guns and ammo and which range you will be using. This information is later logged into a state police computer to provide enforcement tools.

I assume gun owners are confused about the SAFE Act law and which guns and ammo may no longer be lawful in NY.

THIS LAW MUST BE OVER TURNED IN THE COURTS IMMEDIATELY!

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
We don't have to sign anything. Don't you belong? There is no record of when I go to my range. I am still going to go. Screw those bastards. They have nothing on us. LEO's have no right to harass people on private property or to search them.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
"Are you afraid to visit a NYS owned rifle and pistol range?"

The short answer is, I do not support NYS and would definitely not be giving NYS any of my money. Find a great Private range, there are many.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It is a SAFE bet (no pun intended) that the information on guns that you use and that is obtained at my local range and used by state police will be cross checked against the information in the newly created AW registry.

For example, if I show up at my state-owned range with an assault weapon I need to provide my photo ID and write my name and address and description of the gun in a paper form that is retained and used by state police.

If I fail to lawfully register the AW by 1/1/14, this will be known when the information in the gun range log does not match the AW registry.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Though I'm a member at two local ranges (both private), I'm very thankful to have my own personal range at my home - no need to take my rifles off my land unless I choose to do so (such as a 3-gun competition, etc). That said, I don't think I'd support a NYS range - rather, I'd try to find a good private range and shoot there. The last thing I want is some state employee keeping track of me and/or what I own...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
State cops:

"Hey, Johnnie Jones of River Road in Scarsdale NY visited the state owned rifle range on 12/15/13 and he brought an AW but he did not register it by 1/1/14 in the newly created AW registry. He also bought .223 Remington ammo on 1/1/14. Let's nail this guy!"

Don't tell me this could never happen. I have asked the range employees what they do with the information that is collected on the sign-in forms. They have told me this is collected and used by state police to identify criminals who are prohibited from owning guns and that many criminals have been arrested using this log-in information.

Short lesson:
DO NOT VIOLATE GUN LAWS - THEY WILL GET THE INFORMATION NEEDED TO TRACK YOU DOWN.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If I fail to lawfully register the AW by 1/1/14, this will be known when the information in the gun range log does not match the AW registry.

BTW, registration isn't required until 4/15/14...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm not going to any ranges with any rifle. Just my pistols which are on my permit. And I don't want to use up my ammo either so who knows...I do not own any assault rifles but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't go to ANY NY range with them.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
What's to stop you from logging in with a Daisy pellet gun? Do they check your trunk to verify what you tell them?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
im afraid of my privately owned range, there are bunches of ole codgers there that hate ARs and AKs and they were even trying to get anything with a mag banned from our club.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.