New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought if there was a detachable magazine and one feature it was an assault weapon.?? This why everyone talking about making "featureless " rifles. Idk I am confusing myself let me go back and read the definition again for the 1000th time. sorry

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Can't have more than 1 feature. These look compliant to me, considering they don't have a pistol grip.
Wish you were right but think this is wrong. You were allowed one feature under prior law. Now one feature (and semiautomatic with detachable mag) classifies the gun as an AW. Otherwise fixed stock, pistol grip and target crown would be OK (which its not) under current law.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So what happens if you buy the rifle and get in hot water, where's the blame fall? Matt maybe you can answer that one? I'm kind of curious. I saw a lot of "legal" ars at the Syracuse gun show with the modified grip that's gun off at the trigger guard.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
So what happens if you buy the rifle and get in hot water, where's the blame fall? Matt maybe you can answer that one? I'm kind of curious. I saw a lot of "legal" ars at the Syracuse gun show with the modified grip that's gun off at the trigger guard.
The Blame falls on the Owner! (of course your FFL will have to agree when it arrives)

try telling a cop that stopped you for speeding that the car salesman said 75 in a school zone was okay.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Can't have more than 1 feature. These look compliant to me, considering they don't have a pistol grip.
The detachable magazine is your one 'gimme' from the state. Anything beyond the detachable mag, to include;

-vertical foregrip
-collapsible stock
-muzzle devices
-bayonet lug
-pistol grip/thumb hole

makes it an assault rifle. And muzzle devices now include the heretofore legal muzzle brake. Unless it's a fake cage, or a target crown, it's now a 'military feature' according to NY (all though I don't know of a modern military weapon outside of the AK that has a thumbhole stock). I don't know, however, if a fake suppressor can, pinned and welded to the barrel, would count as a muzzle device, as it serves no purpose, and renders the threads inert. The most popular alternative has been the fake cages, like the ones they make for the M1A.

I think this 'muzzle device' thing is going to trip a lot of people up after January, as it was a non-issue before (as long as it wasn't a genuine flash hider), and most people aren't even thinking about it, while they're so busy focusing on how to get their pistol grips off their guns.

Even if you go through the hassle of converting your lower, you still have to take care of your muzzle brake on an existing AR, which either means prying off a (presumably) pinned device and having it recrowned. And in the case of a carbine-length barrel, the muzzle device adds the extra length to get to the magic 16" for ATF regulations, so if you were to remove and recrown, it's now well under the 16" legal minimum. Or buying a whole new target barrel to put on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.