New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike NY, I believe the federal law under the Brady Act specifically prohibits the creation of a federal database of gun owners. However, I read where the Feds have owned up to the fact that they are keeping the information that is provided on Form 4473 for up to several weeks or months.

Why is this clear violation of federal law allowed to continue unchecked?

History shows us that lists of gun owners (e.g. databases) has in nearly every case preceded all government gun confiscations. This includes Natzy Germany.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I understood that at the Federal level, Form 4473 was simply a request for authorization to purchase a firearm...not what firearm you are purchasing. THAT information remains with the FFL you bought the firearm from.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I understood that at the Federal level, Form 4473 was simply a request for authorization to purchase a firearm...not what firearm you are purchasing. THAT information remains with the FFL you bought the firearm from.
You are correct. As I understand it, The NIC Check only provides your pedigree and a check mark on long gun or hand gun.
The actual form has all the gun info (SERIAL # ETC) and is kept by the FFL until............................................the FFL stops being a FFL then all the forms he had been mandated to keep copies of are then sent to the ATF.
NOW!!!! What happens after that is anybody's guess.
Either they pay someone to transfer all of that information into a digital data format, or it gets stacked in some warehouse I don't know.Maybee an FFL can chime in.

·
Registered
581 Posts

I think the make and serial number of the firearm is on the 4473. There have been many claims the ATF has illegally seized or made copies of the 4473's.

Does the ATF Already Maintain a National Gun Registry? - The Truth About Guns

GOA: Background checks & ATF’s illegal copying of 4473 forms | THE WAKING GIANT
Pedro.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Do you trust a government that routinely and blatantly violates the Constitution to do what it is supposed to do? Assume the worst, because that's what they will do, and remember that the gov can't be trusted.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me, they make you put the make model and serial number. The hard copies are kept on file for 10 years or something like that.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Let's see, 4473's come from ATF. ATF is part of DOJ. DOJ is run by Eric Holder, and is part of the Executive Branch. Nope. No chance any laws are being broken or rights violated. No chance at all.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

No, the 4473 is the ATF form that you fill out with your specific info and the specific info of the gun you are being transferred. The FFL needs to keep that on file for 20 years and if they close up shop the ATF takes those records.

The NICS check is run by the FBI, and when the FFL calls in your info, it is just your personal info and the category of gun - long gun, handgun or other. That info should be purged after 72 hours I believe.

The 4473 is a form of registration, the NICS is a background check. They are not necessarily related, but they are commonly tied together in the minds of many people.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would worry more about credit card transactions, thats why I buy using cash only.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Who cares ....they'll find out who owns what when the American people FINALLY have had enough. No information that they could possibly gather would help them since FREE STATES still allow their people to buy and sell amongst each other. This govt really owes the American people a ****ing apology for supporting the terrorists AND for acting lawless for the sole purpose of harming the people of the USA. After said apology is issued, they should all step the **** down and let AMERICANS run this country's military and other affairs and the govt should returned to a SMALL govt .. not one that tells you what's right and what's wrong and when to take a **** and what to eat before that **** occurs!!! In other words ..... **** THEM!!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
You are correct. As I understand it, The NIC Check only provides your pedigree and a check mark on long gun or hand gun.
The actual form has all the gun info (SERIAL # ETC) and is kept by the FFL until............................................the FFL stops being a FFL then all the forms he had been mandated to keep copies of are then sent to the ATF.
NOW!!!! What happens after that is anybody's guess.
Either they pay someone to transfer all of that information into a digital data format, or it gets stacked in some warehouse I don't know.Maybee an FFL can chime in.
According to other articles that say the ATF has held these forms in a warehouse for an undetermined amount of time but lately they have been shredding the forms because of either the age or too many boxes in the warehouse . The reporter said that there was a shredding truck there when he was there and they shredded countless boxes of forms while he was there . I don't belive anything the government has to say as they have been caught lying to congress and the people about what they are doing . So at this time I think they are keeping every thing that " new " and shredding the old stuff they already went through !

·
Registered
405 Posts
According to other articles that say the ATF has held these forms in a warehouse for an undetermined amount of time but lately they have been shredding the forms because of either the age or too many boxes in the warehouse . The reporter said that there was a shredding truck there when he was there and they shredded countless boxes of forms while he was there . I don't belive anything the government has to say as they have been caught lying to congress and the people about what they are doing . So at this time I think they are keeping every thing that " new " and shredding the old stuff they already went through !
Did that shredding truck say NSA on the side? They can semi-legally grab any info in any gov't agency by saying "threat to national security".

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Here in NY.......................WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!!!!
100% of the Legal handguns are registered.
Long guns will now be monitored by the STATE POLICE SUPER SECRET Ammo datatbase.

Passing a State Nics check just to purchase AMMO and you are going to comp;y?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Buying ammo helps them further classify all the guns you got over the last 60 years in your collection. Every caliber denotes a gun for that round.

You had 2013 and up to now to stock up and beat the system.

You buy 1000 round of cheapo, 5.5.6 FMJ, you may have a AR = Check the register, this guy needs a visit.

You show them a Handi-rifle, single shot in .223 - FUAC MOFOs! Get one on GB.

Then I am sure that probably every call for a NICS check, results in a tally number incrementing up for you on the size of your collection.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
seriously, how many of us have bought firearms, filled out the 4473 and then did a private sale of those firearms without anyone in "authority" knowing about it.

A ATF/FBI data base is virtually useless to the government and what about the millions of firearms that were purchased before the use of 4473? can't be more than couple hundred million firearms running around out there with no paper trail at all

1 - 20 of 23 Posts