New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Romanian PSL rifles legal in NY?

Now I know many online gun stores will not sell them to NY, but that may only mean they are just spooked by all the Bloomberg anti-gun garbage. I can't see why they would be illegal---Ten round mag, no bayonet lug, and a thumbhole stock that really should not be counted as a pistol grip.

I'm, hoping, to being able to buy one via gunbroker if its kosher.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
According to our vendor, Century Arms, they won't ship a PSL to NYS because it has a bayonet lug and a flash hider. Now according to NYS law, since it doesn't have a pistol grip, you can have both the detachable magazine and either the flash-hider or bayonet lug. Therefore you could just grind down the bayonet lug to make it legal in NYS. That is if you could get one here.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So they will not ship one at all to NY? not even a FFL holder who could then grind down the lug before selling/giving it to a average citizen?

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Yeah Century Arms will not even ship one to us, and it's legal for us to own one. For instance we could sell out of state. CA just won't ship them to NYS at all.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Yes, PSL's are legal in NY. If you are Upstate at all Herb Philipson's sells them. Try Centerfiresystems.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Explain? Unless they are getting a different version already ny-legalized...
Yes, they are getting PSL's that are without a bayo-lug. The one I had was a TN Knox FPK, not from Herb's, their's are coming from CIA though.

I sold mine last month for a PTR:

·
Registered
367 Posts
There are a lot of ban era ones floating around out there too. The muzzle device on them is not a flash hider it is a muzlebrake. The Romanians made these with the muzzlebrake both screwed on with the standard comblock 14X1lh thread and also made them with pressed on and pinned muzzlebrakes as a result not all the imports are threaded either- a lot of the ban era threaded ones were sold with the bayonet lugs removed-and the muzzlebrake welded on. It really shouldn't be too hard to find one.

G

·
The PSL has an interesting look but it's really just a 7.62x54R AK variant.
It is not by any stretch of the imagination a Dragunov/SVD.
This is an AK-47 and a PSL for comparison:

This is an SVD/Dragunov:

This is a real SVD/Dragunov and is interesting from a technical and historical perspective but is an inferior sniper weapon for a lot of reasons:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Interesting... I wouldn't mind having one around the shop.
you are an FFL you still should be able to get and stock one, either a ban model or one with the bayo lug. Hunt one down on gunbroker- there were a ton on there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dont care what NY wants to say. I'll never grind the lug off my all original 1954 Tula SKS. It will Never Happen.
JS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts