New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Syracuse gun show Sat and was looking at AR stuff and am thinking of doing a build.
Stripped lowers were $75-$200.

PSA has a built lower with pistol grip and M4 stock for $129.99 but won't ship to NY (any FFL in NY)

Is that just their policy or it is non compliant due to SAFE?

They will ship a stripped lower and a build kit ( $49 +$119) .

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Non-compliant: the pistol grip makes it an evil implement of mass destruction that NY'ers cannot be trusted to own. Buy the stripped lower and lpk, build as you see fit.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
buy them seperate and just follow the youtube video...it's easy. takes about 30 mins the first time around

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Get yourself an anderson arms lower. Most vendors are running them for $39 right now. They seem to be decent quality.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
It's just the company policy. There is nothing in the law that says a lower with a grip on it is an assault weapon.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
That's correct it's only when you put a upper is when it's a functional firearm. I will admit though a stripped lower and building it is the way to go. Just lock the mag and it can be the baddest gun you want it to be.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Anyone have details on an anderson arms lower, where to buy and who in Ulster/Orange/Dutchess would handle a transfer?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It was cheaper to buy an assembled lower than a stripped lower and LPK by $30
They're out of stock as of this morning but they'll be back someday

And I agree that an assembled lower is still compliant as it does not have a muzzle brake or bayonet lug.

I want to build mine with a 45 frame and Hogue Palm Swell grips as I do not like the plastic "Lonestar" style M-16 grip anyhow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Rayknobs is correct. A fully completed lower is not semi-automatic.
I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but, is it legal to possess a completed lower with a 10-round mag and (in perhaps a separate case of bag) a completed upper? In other words, the upper and lower are just not pinned together?

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but, is it legal to possess a completed lower with a 10-round mag and (in perhaps a separate case of bag) a completed upper? In other words, the upper and lower are just not pinned together?
At this time, there is nothing in unSAFE that prevents you from owning a "bag of parts" that "could become" a non-compliant firearm. Otherwise, if you had: Rifle A (non-removable magazine and full featured) and Rifle B (featureless with a removable magazine), you could be guilty of possessing a non-compliant firearm since you could remove the upper from rifle A and put it on lower B to create NY-deemed AW.

Stay tuned for unSAFE II...where we'll be guilty of owing AWs if we simply have the parts to do so.

Do you own a featureless AR-style MSR? Do you have a $25 pistol grip somewhere in your house? If so...congratulations...you're now a newly minted criminal here in the not-so-great state of New York!

·
Registered
118 Posts
So, if I'm understanding this correctly …

1. It's legal to ship a completed lower with a pistol grip and collapsible stock to New York so long as it is shipped to a FFL. If company policy forbades it, it can be shipped as a stripped lower and bag o' parts.

2. It's legal to ship a completely assembled upper (including a flash suppressor and lug) to NY delivered to one's doorstep.

3. It's legal to ship a 10-round magazine to NY.

3. It's illegal to assemble #1 and #2, unless #3 is permanently fixed.

Ummmmm … is Andy aware of this---for lack of a better term---"loophole"? Again, my apologies if my assumptions are incorrect. I am new to the AR platform; in fact, I was never interested in an AR until my government said I couldn't have one.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
So, if I'm understanding this correctly …

1. It's legal to ship a completed lower with a pistol grip and collapsible stock to New York so long as it is shipped to a FFL. .
Legal or not, good luck finding a vender who would do this, or a FFL who would accept it. The sources for even stripped lowers are fewer than they used to be.
Just get a stripped lower and a LPK and build it. Not rocket science. And do it before they decide to make "parts" illegal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts